Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Calipers off - is it easy?

hedgehogsdad

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

My OPC were unable to change the brake fluid in my Turbo last week as the bleed nipples are apparently all seized. I've been talking to Thomas at Procalipers about how they can help, and it appears that all I need to do is send all four calipers to them and they will do the rest.

How easy is it to take them all off, and does anyone here have any practical advice to offer to someone doing this for the first time - better still with photos...

Thomas also suggested swapping to braided hoses while the calipers are off, and again, any advice re this would be hugely appreciated.

My concern is that if the nipples are seized, everything else will be!

Thanks in advance

Shouldn't be a difficult job to do as long as the mounting bolts and rubber fluid lines are not seized. I'd personally take the car to a respected indy who should be able to remove and retap the nipples all in situ.

I'd also question if the brake fluid has been changed on a regular basis as I've never had one seize in the 30+ years of doing it myself. Pretty sure many garages don't bleed both nipples on each caliper as I often hear that the 'inside' one has seized. One of the pleasures of doing the job yourself is knowing that it has been done. And yes, even 'respected' garages, and ones raved about on here, aren't always squeaky clean (note from experience).

Can't help you with caliper removal, but I just updated my thread on a similar problem with one caliper that two OPC failed to bleed. Took car to trusted local garage to remove caliper to take to Thomas and they managed to get it out without too much trouble! I had them fit Pro Caliper SS nipples all round and in their estimation neither back brake had been bled, despite the fact that I had recently paid OPC who claimed to have done three out of four.

Upshot of this tale is that you might get lucky with another garage having a go at the nipples. Good luck

This might help you - http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=107040&highlight=

Once the pads are out and brake lines are disconnected there are just two large bolts to undo, these should be replaced though when putting back together.

Are you looking to remove all four? If so you'll need the car in the air.

Good luck

NH

Martian said:
Shouldn't be a difficult job to do as long as the mounting bolts and rubber fluid lines are not seized. I'd personally take the car to a respected indy who should be able to remove and retap the nipples all in situ.

I took my car to a respected indy for a fluid change and to have some braided hoses fitted. They managed to snap 7 out of 8 nipples, attempted to drill and tap the threads unsuccessfully, tried to rectify with helicoils (which IMO should not have been fitted as they are unlikely to seal correctly). This resulted in me footing the bill for 4 new calipers at circa £500 each.

How can someone snap seven nipples in one go?! I've never snapped one in 30+ years. Makes me wonder if your car had ever had a fluid change, every one of mine has been fine, but I do change the fluid myself every two years.

Martian said:
How can someone snap seven nipples in one go?! I've never snapped one in 30+ years. Makes me wonder if your car had ever had a fluid change, every one of mine has been fine, but I do change the fluid myself every two years.

To be fair that was the assumption they made, but the car did have full OPC history. I still think if I had been doing the job myself at home I could probably have saved 6 out of the 7, but it was in for service and top mounts so it made sense (I thought) to have the brake work done at the same time.

That car is now sold and I have purchased a set of SS nipples to be fitted on the new car at it`s next change.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back