Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Turbo Gen2 Prices set for drop soon?

997anw said:
What's your opinions on the 997 turbo gen2 prices at the moment. They seem to have hiked by 10k or so in the last few months. Now they're seems to be nothing for sale short of 70k! Are they worth an investment atm or do you think they're gonna take a plunge???

I can't see why the 997.2T wont follow the trend of all other mainstream 911s.

They all fall to a bottom price and then increase until they find a level.

2.5 years ago you could pick up a 997.1T for £40k and a Gen 2 for £65k. Since then they've 'bounced' to where they are now. Low mileage cars may still go up in value but I'm not sure they will be 'investments'.

Decent usable cars should hold their value and give great value-for-money motoring.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

ps. :welcome: to 911uk. Out of interest what cars have you had previously?

Boba fett said:
spongebob squarepants said:
997anw said:
Not looking at a pure investment but rather looking at buying and using as weekend car for a year or two before sale. Just don't want massive deprecation hit! Just trying to gauge your opinions on how much they will depreciate if at all from 70k in the next couple of years

Zero. Despite all the rose tinted spectacles over the gen 1, the gen 2 is a much better car and isn't going to depreciate any time soon. In fact they are still rising.

Rose tinted :what:

It's the Gen 1 thats gone up the most in value, and its the more raw car.

I agree the Gen 2 is better if your thing is comfort, quietness more refinement and tech. It should be better, its a face-lift. But its missing a famous engine. Speak to any dealer, on whats the best if making a few quid is your number 1.

I guess there's a time line thing going on here. Despite the .2 being the newer model it seems to be doing pretty well in the appreciation stakes.
I know boba keeps banging on about the Mezger but I'd think the .1 is too numerous to become the holy grail.
Most turbo owners on here are enthusiasts. And have chosen carefully before pulling the trigger. The 997.2 PDK did it for me. Would have liked the S but couldn't stretch to it at the time.
Time will tell. In the meantime let's enjoy ALL these amazing cars :D

Boba fett said:
tgdesign said:
I am after a 997 turbo as you guy well know and wish I could have bought one earlier on in the year. seen a few gen 2 then at 60-65k . Now people want that for a gen 1.
Million dollar question do I wait a few months or buy now. :?:

If I was after one, I'd buy in December, they will be cheaper as they are harder to shift. January's good as well people are skint after Christmas. Then get it home and get it ready for summer 18 :thumb:

Really? I wouldn't have thought your average 997T owner and buyer are subject to cashflow challenges of Christmas.

James4444 said:
Really? I wouldn't have thought your average 997T owner and buyer are subject to cashflow challenges of Christmas.

Could always throw in a Littlewoods hamper to seal the deal :sad:

:thumb:

Boba fett said:
m119cars said:
997anw said:
Cheib said:
The last two or three 997.2 Turbo S cars I have seen come up for sale in good specs have sold in hours....at strong price. Redline has a red low mileage car that told for £85k very quickly about a month ago.

If you're worried about depreciation OP I'd be going for a Turbo S if I could afford it or waiting for a really nice spec car and moving really quickly when it comes up! You can't call 997 Turbo prices as being high without looking at GTS prices or GT3's. JZM had a couple of 997 GTS coupe's in stock about two weeks ago....both sold within 48 hours for around the £70k mark. Both manual's though which makes a big difference on that car. GT3's are also selling very quickly.

Would love a Turbo S but can't justify 85k now when 991 turbos are starting at 92k now. Kicking myself really as I saw a yellow turbo S up for 75k just a few weeks ago as a private sale and it disappeared very quickly.

There's a white .2 on the market with a decent ish spec but I don't think white is a safe or liked turbo colour. I certainly am not a big a big fan!

When I purchased mine ( 997 turbo s) just before Xmas there wasn't a 991 turbo S under £100k, in 6 months they've come down by nearly £10k whilst the 997's have gone the other way.

As a 'car' the 991 is probably far superior in almost every department but if that was the bench mark for values we would probably all be paying £5k for a 3.2 Carrera.

IMHO the majority of people looking for the 997 gen 2 turbo and turbo s aren't doing so because they can't afford a 991.

So lets explore:

What's the appeal with the 997 .2 Turbo S over a 991 Turbo S. I do think the 997 is prettier but other than that....

......Nothing. No last of, this, that or the other, inferior in all aspects ??

Electric steering maybe...really...

Intrigued :?: :?: :?:

Slightly newer is not always better, nothing too difficult to understand about that. I could very easily get a 991 Turbo S, as could the vast majority of 997 Turbo S owners if they wanted to. But the 997 Turbo S has gone up in value significantly, sells in a day or two for the best cars and is in extremely short supply.

There were 18 991 Turbo S cars last week on porsche.co.uk
Compared with 0 997 Turbo S coupe

The reasons why I love and am keeping mine (having driven a 991.1 S)

-much, much prefer the shape, size and looks. This is key for me, the 997 Turbo generally regardless of gen 1 or 2, manual or pdk is the sweet spot without a doubt. It's got a timeless beauty to it, with very classic lines that to me are just perfect. The 991 holds no appeal to me visually. As has been pointed out already, the car looks oversize and bloated- IMHO of course. The 997 Turbo is a real beauty.

-it's rarer, less cars produced globally and to me more desirable, the Turbo S was a run out model made for just the last 3 years of the entire 997 Turbo run. With the 991 it was on sale from day one.

-this next one is specific to me: I waited quite a while to get a car with a very particular spec, so I have extra motivation to keep as I have exactly what I wanted option wise and would never find that exact spec again if I did sell.

:yeah:

My thoughts exactly!

Roger Barker said:
Boba fett said:
m119cars said:
997anw said:
Cheib said:
The last two or three 997.2 Turbo S cars I have seen come up for sale in good specs have sold in hours....at strong price. Redline has a red low mileage car that told for £85k very quickly about a month ago.

If you're worried about depreciation OP I'd be going for a Turbo S if I could afford it or waiting for a really nice spec car and moving really quickly when it comes up! You can't call 997 Turbo prices as being high without looking at GTS prices or GT3's. JZM had a couple of 997 GTS coupe's in stock about two weeks ago....both sold within 48 hours for around the £70k mark. Both manual's though which makes a big difference on that car. GT3's are also selling very quickly.

Would love a Turbo S but can't justify 85k now when 991 turbos are starting at 92k now. Kicking myself really as I saw a yellow turbo S up for 75k just a few weeks ago as a private sale and it disappeared very quickly.

There's a white .2 on the market with a decent ish spec but I don't think white is a safe or liked turbo colour. I certainly am not a big a big fan!

When I purchased mine ( 997 turbo s) just before Xmas there wasn't a 991 turbo S under £100k, in 6 months they've come down by nearly £10k whilst the 997's have gone the other way.

As a 'car' the 991 is probably far superior in almost every department but if that was the bench mark for values we would probably all be paying £5k for a 3.2 Carrera.

IMHO the majority of people looking for the 997 gen 2 turbo and turbo s aren't doing so because they can't afford a 991.

So lets explore:

What's the appeal with the 997 .2 Turbo S over a 991 Turbo S. I do think the 997 is prettier but other than that....

......Nothing. No last of, this, that or the other, inferior in all aspects ??

Electric steering maybe...really...

Intrigued :?: :?: :?:

Slightly newer is not always better, nothing too difficult to understand about that. I could very easily get a 991 Turbo S, as could the vast majority of 997 Turbo S owners if they wanted to. But the 997 Turbo S has gone up in value significantly, sells in a day or two for the best cars and is in extremely short supply.

There were 18 991 Turbo S cars last week on porsche.co.uk
Compared with 0 997 Turbo S coupe

The reasons why I love and am keeping mine (having driven a 991.1 S)

-much, much prefer the shape, size and looks. This is key for me, the 997 Turbo generally regardless of gen 1 or 2, manual or pdk is the sweet spot without a doubt. It's got a timeless beauty to it, with very classic lines that to me are just perfect. The 991 holds no appeal to me visually. As has been pointed out already, the car looks oversize and bloated- IMHO of course. The 997 Turbo is a real beauty.

-it's rarer, less cars produced globally and to me more desirable, the Turbo S was a run out model made for just the last 3 years of the entire 997 Turbo run. With the 991 it was on sale from day one.

-this next one is specific to me: I waited quite a while to get a car with a very particular spec, so I have extra motivation to keep as I have exactly what I wanted option wise and would never find that exact spec again if I did sell.

The 997 is a thing of beauty. Its my favourite as well.

997anw said:
What's your opinions on the 997 turbo gen2 prices at the moment. They seem to have hiked by 10k or so in the last few months. Now they're seems to be nothing for sale short of 70k! Are they worth an investment atm or do you think they're gonna take a plunge???

Go and test drive one and decide whether it's the car for you.

If you really want one just get one and don't worry too much about the residuals. If it looses little or gains a bit it will be a result, however can't expect to run one of these cars on a shoestring budget.

I've recently bought a new BMW M4 Competition Pack as a daily with was a similar cost to a 997.2 turbo S prior to negotiating a discount.

I know the car will loose a load of money, however as it is probably one of the best all round daily drivers I don't really care. Whatever it will be worth in the future will be a bonus as I'll enjoy every mile.

Once one becomes obsessive about the value of one ones car it takes the edge and the enjoyment out of ownership.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatandywhite
Back