Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust Upgrade

sico48

Hi All
First post on 911 UK for me - looking to get some feedback from those who have upgraded their exhausts/cats
I have a 996 3.6, with IPD plenum, 82mm throttle body & twin air intake - it's a weekend track car, but road legal
Looks like exhausts are going to give out soon, so considering a more free flow option, then get a remap to get most out of induction & exhaust changes
Fully understand the power gains on 996 aren't that great, but just an incremental improvement @ remap to make best of RPM range
Don't want anything too loud, as it's already 101 Db on static track day test, so don't want to be making unusuable.
Anyone with good/bad experience of different options, please add your comments
Cheers
Simon

Don't buy DANSK. Drop to bits within 3 years!

:floor: :floor: :floor:

Simon, firstly I am surprised your running yours that's had the IPD gt3 TB/plen added and haven't yet had it remapped , you wont be getting the best from the induction without it and might actually be running a bit rich or lean. Anyway I suggest you look at a Topgear valvetronic set up with 200 cell big bore cats your option on xpipe or cross over . the valved unit allows you to turn it off when tracking and worried about db limits but turn it on when you want some nice notes.
the other thing to consider would be a 4" underdrive pulley and shorter belt this will redirect unused energy to the back wheels only a small BHP gain, but the big win for me was the fact it made the power steering a bit heavier just enough to give you more confidence on the bends.
Without a doubt the two big gains to be had you have still to do and thats 200 cell cats and a remap.
hope that helps :thumb: :thumb:

:yeah:

Thanks for info Phil
The IPD/TB/Induction is a new addition - just given it a couple of outings on track to see if the induction noise was affecting static Db, I was definitely going to get it remapped anyhow (just deciding to bite bullet on exhausts or not, or wait till they give out)
I've looked at RevoTechnik option for remap, but not sure if that is best way forward

sico48 said:
Thanks for info Phil
The IPD/TB/Induction is a new addition - just given it a couple of outings on track to see if the induction noise was affecting static Db, I was definitely going to get it remapped anyhow (just deciding to bite bullet on exhausts or not, or wait till they give out)
I've looked at RevoTechnik option for remap, but not sure if that is best way forward

I would suggest getting a remap that's custom for your set up and car and not a generic off the shelf one ,I don't know the Revo remap so cant comment on it. , my old 997.1 I had a DMS automotive remap and I was very pleased with it, my new 997.2 has a Regal motorsports remap which I am equally impressed with . all the flat spots are gone and a smooth linear power delivery. you won't need to modify the map if you do anything to the exhaust at a later date or the 4"underdrive pulley mod . Simon if you need to quieten the induction noise to help with the db limits , Pipercross do a dry (non oiled) sports filter takes about a week as a special from the factory just call their sales desk . it gives all the wins of the BMC k&n etc but has no induction roar like the others do as its a foam material other potential plus of that is no maff fouling from oil off the sports filters. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

RE the exhaust, Topgear do a mild sports box set up which might work for you as its mainly a track toy, you would benefit from the weight reduction but no big noise just a nice deeper toned note. Alex has just fitted one and there's a sound byte on his thread have a listen :thumb:

Hi Simon,

I opted for Kline on my 996 Turbo and on one of my C2's and just love the sound they omit. Quality is top notch and Felix and the guys there are great to deal with. Most Porsche friends who have heard mine on events have either placed orders, or have them on their Christmas lists! lol

On the C2 the noise and resonance is very pleasant and not to boomy at normal revs, once it warms up it crackles and pops on the over run. At full chat, it screams a wonderful noise.

To say I am pleased with my purchases would be an understatement and I'd make Kline my first pick for any future exhaust needs.

Felix can custom tweak them too, just done this for a mate who wanted a slightly quieter system (although after a convoy run to Silverstone a few weeks back he's regretted it saying he wished his car sounded like mine)

Can you also list out the mods you've made to your throttle body and IPD? Very interested in these so would love to know where you got them.

Hope that helps!

Mr. B

I have the Top gear Valved boxes with 200 cell cats, loud when you want quiet when you don't, well made and much lighter than the originals.

Very pleased with mine all i need to do now is wire them up to the dash switch .

Phil 997 said:
RE the exhaust, Topgear do a mild sports box set up which might work for you as its mainly a track toy, you would benefit from the weight reduction but no big noise just a nice deeper toned note. Alex has just fitted one and there's a sound byte on his thread have a listen :thumb:

Here you go:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back