Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 92
996 : 1997-2005 44
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 17
Cayenne : 2003- 8
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
911tom
Kyalami


Joined: 22 May 2012
Posts: 1979
Location: Buckinghamshire


PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurlykris wrote:
911tom wrote:
seeforez wrote:
As above for a check and align its pretty standard stuff and i wouldn't expect to pay over £150


£325 is arguably a lot of cash for 4 hours work but these guys have so much kit and even more knowledge. Hard to explain until you have experienced it first hand... They are a completely different level. I had previously had alignments done elsewhere but it was no where near as thorough as what CoG did. Worth every penny!


Centre Gravity are THE people to use if you want your Porsche to drive like you want it to on road or track. I`ve used them twice on both Porsches and their knowledge and enthusiasm for Porsche cars is second to none, they will tweak your geo so your car behaves exactly how you want it to.

I hate it when people raise the question of price for specialists who know exactly what they are doing and non-specialists who simply adjust to factory spec, pay low wages and have little knowledge of geometry.

£325 less the vat is £270, divided by 4 hours is £67.50 per hour, there are 3 people working at CG, rent, rates, leccy, water, gas, equipment costs and maintenance ( the shock testing machine is leased and also PAYG per car, that is the way these companies work these days ) so there isn`t a lot left after all those overheads nooo

Would you run a specialist business and employ 2 other specialist people for £67.50 and hour Question

I know I wouldn`t nooo



Well said thumbsup

They also supplied the ohlins kit on my car as well as fitting and price for the materials was no more than anywhere else. They are straight forward honest guys that really know there stuff.
_________________
996 Turbo - Link to my 3.8L turbo build thread
2011 Cayenne
2009 Ariel Atom 3 Supercharged
350Bhp astra van for work Surprised
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
cheshire911
Estoril


Joined: 10 Jun 2012
Posts: 3750



PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price for geometry seems to have come down elsewhere since I had mine done at CG in May 2015. At that time my enquiries across different suppliers of geometry using Hunter/Beissbarth laser machines revealed typical charges were £200-£240+ VAT. When asked how long it takes, the reply was that it typically takes just under an hour but could be as much as 1.5hrs so I could wait whilst having it done.

By contrast CG is £267+VAT and is around 4 hrs with an.inclusive structured systematic assessment of brakes, suspension and steering that can impact on handling. For me at that time in 2015 it was a no-brainer. Spend £267 for 4hrs work rather than £220 for 1-1.5 hrs work.

Now if prices elsewhere are £150, then the relative hourly rate still is higher than CG's approach and process.
_________________
996 2002 X50 Turbo Manual
"Once bitten; forever smitten"
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
FZP
Magny-Cours


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 2708
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went looking for my write up I did after my trip down there and can't seem to find it.
I needed a coffin arm and inner TRE changed(main reason for the work misdiagnosed by OPC- knocking noise) and it worked out cheaper than having OPC do the exact same work.
Got to have a real good look around the underside of the car and see that it was in mint condition as well which was reassuring.
He also sprayed some fish oil stuff(not sure if thats what it was) in all the areas that are potential rust spots, along with a bunch of other preventative maintenance stuff which slips my memory.
Value is in the eye of the beholder, and in my case, utter great value
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
T8
General
General


Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Posts: 14695
Location: Kent


PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZP wrote:


I went looking for my write up I did after my trip down there and can't seem to find it.



eh! I keyed the word centre and FZP as author into the 'search forum' function and found it straight away. It was a five second job.

=> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=117616&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=center+centre

Thumb
_________________
2007 Guards Red 997 Turbo Tiptronic
ex 2004 Polar Silver 996T Tiptronic
ex 2002 Seal Grey 996.2 C4 Tiptronic
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
FZP
Magny-Cours


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 2708
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T8 wrote:
FZP wrote:


I went looking for my write up I did after my trip down there and can't seem to find it.



eh! I keyed the word centre and FZP as author into the 'search forum' function and found it straight away. It was a five second job.

=> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=117616&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=center+centre

Thumb


No caffiene = user malfunction
Thanks Mate
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
seeforez
Barcelona


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 1476
Location: up norf


PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="911tom"]
kurlykris wrote:
911tom wrote:
seeforez wrote:
As above for a check and align its pretty standard stuff and i wouldn't expect to pay over £150


£325 is arguably a lot of cash for 4 hours work but these guys have so much kit and even more knowledge. Hard to explain until you have experienced it first hand... They are a completely different level. I had previously had alignments done elsewhere but it was no where near as thorough as what CoG did. Worth every penny!


Centre Gravity are THE people to use if you want your Porsche to drive like you want it to on road or track. I`ve used them twice on both Porsches and their knowledge and enthusiasm for Porsche cars is second to none, they will tweak your geo so your car behaves exactly how you want it to.

I hate it when people raise the question of price for specialists who know exactly what they are doing and non-specialists who simply adjust to factory spec, pay low wages and have little knowledge of geometry.

£325 less the vat is £270, divided by 4 hours is £67.50 per hour, there are 3 people working at CG, rent, rates, leccy, water, gas, equipment costs and maintenance ( the shock testing machine is leased and also PAYG per car, that is the way these companies work these days ) so there isn`t a lot left after all those overheads nooo

Would you run a specialist business and employ 2 other specialist people for £67.50 and hour Question

I know I wouldn`t nooo



All fair points...i suppose my logic was i thought they had the same machines and methods of setting up the car as other specialist, but of they have better machines and do extra things to the set up then yes the cost is warranted thumbsup
_________________
997.1
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
DynoMike
Barcelona


Joined: 25 May 2012
Posts: 1484
Location: The Cotswolds

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you are paying for the knowledge not the equipment. Their back catalogue is extensive to say the least, the attention to detail is borderline OCD, the equipment just allows them to practice their art.

In a nutshell, well worth the money.
_________________
2003 996 Turbo
Previous toy 1974 Mini 1000
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
RichB888
Newbie


Joined: 20 Oct 2016
Posts: 13



PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree.

Took my GTS to them last Thursday. They have transformed it. For the difference and how special the car is to drive now I think £325 is a bargain.

You cant really just look at it in terms of labour cost. You could spend an awful lot more having new components fitted and I doubt you'll see such a marked improvement.
My GTS inspires confidence now and its very easy to drive quickly.

Im looking forward to returning to Bruntingthorpe in July to see what the differences are there now compared to last month.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Diggermeister
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 26 May 2015
Posts: 372



PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG have two ramps and IIRC see something like 8,000 cars in the course of a year. Around 75% of those cars are Porsche. They don't do anything other than geo and suspension, they specialise. With the exception of the known, recognised Porsche service indies, there are very few places, competent though they may be, that will have the same experience. You're not just paying for spanner time, but also assessment and tuning of the chassis.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Martian
Sepang


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 2899
Location: Bury St. Edmunds

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggermeister wrote:
CG have two ramps and IIRC see something like 8,000 cars in the course of a year....


I think that figure has one too many noughts added! If Chris and his colleague (can't remember his name) did 3 cars per day, 365/24/7 with no holidays, that would be 1000 cars! Very Happy
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Slayer
Indianapolis


Joined: 29 Dec 2010
Posts: 2331
Location: United Kingdom


PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martian wrote:
Diggermeister wrote:
CG have two ramps and IIRC see something like 8,000 cars in the course of a year....


I think that figure has one too many noughts added! If Chris and his colleague (can't remember his name) did 3 cars per day, 365/24/7 with no holidays, that would be 1000 cars! Very Happy

There was a bit of 'man ' maths there Hand
_________________
Current: Golf R 7.5 FL ( Atlantic blue with Akropovic exhausts/ Performance pack)

Sold:
Golf R FL 7.5, A45 AMG FL, Golf R , Golf GT, VW Golf R (Reflex silver) 2016
VW Golf R, Golf Match, VW Scirocco 2TDI R line-BMT , 997 Gen 1 Turbo , 997 C2S(Aerokit), 997 C2S, Cayman S, 997 C4S, 997 Carrera, Boxster
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Diggermeister
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 26 May 2015
Posts: 372



PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slayer wrote:
Martian wrote:
Diggermeister wrote:
CG have two ramps and IIRC see something like 8,000 cars in the course of a year....


I think that figure has one too many noughts added! If Chris and his colleague (can't remember his name) did 3 cars per day, 365/24/7 with no holidays, that would be 1000 cars! Very Happy

There was a bit of 'man ' maths there Hand
Yes, you're right but you get the gist; mostly Porsche, day in, day out.

Same, in principle, with taking the car to any other good Porsche indie, only all CG do is chassis/geo.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Poker2009
Imola


Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 871
Location: London


PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a few weeks since I had it done at CG, I am still really pleased with the way the car is handling.

I may have got the same results taking it somewhere else, but I think for me it was a worthwhile trip. I received a good lesson on how the car should handle (I didn't really know what understeer/oversteer was!), and I now know how the car should handle when it is put right.

I also now have the settings I am happy with, and if in future I want to go elsewhere, I can get them to match these. It is certainly a worthwhile trip at least once, especially if your knowledge of handling is like mine used to be.
_________________
997.1 C2S, Black, Feb 2005: tiny IMS bearing, 60k miles, original engine.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Mezgerite
Silverstone


Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 144



PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are paying for the knowledge.

A lot of places can set up the car to Porsche specs, but Porsche spec on a 997 turbo will make it understeer. Also if you are running a track biased tire then the geometry needs to be different again. Knowing that x amount of camber will do this and x degrees of toe will do that is what completely transforms the way the car drives.

Rick
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
freshy
Trainee


Joined: 13 Oct 2016
Posts: 84



PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have booked my C4S in to Center Gravity next month, so will share my experience thereafter.
_________________
2005 996 'C4S Plus' Cab Manual in Atlas Grey X51 + Rusty PSE
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Ronam2012
Trainee


Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 77
Location: Nottinghamshire


PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my car done at CG yesterday, needed four new coffin arms and setup! What a huge difference. I didn't really have a reference point as I have only owned my car since January and I thought it was fine. Having now driven the car post set up by CG I think it is money well spent! The guys there are great and explain everything. The car is smoother the steering feels much less fidgety and the ride is transformed.
_________________
996 Turbo Manual Polar Silver
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Porschekit
Imola


Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 828
Location: North East UK


PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever spent over an hour typing a detailed reply to a post only to find your lap top goes wobbly and throws you out LOOSING ALL YOUR TEXT !!!!! Evil or Very Mad Damn

I'm not going to do it all again , but will say that I was very satisfied with my recent visit to Centre Gravity for geometry work. Cost £325 for four hours work from Pete and Chris. It revealed minute details that I had either not noticed or missed and they certainly know their onions. I would not hesitate to recommend them an would go back if more work required.

PM me if anyone wants details. thanks.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum