Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lost power to stereo and 12v cig lighter!!

infrasilver

I need a bit of help getting my stereo and cig lighter working again. I plugged an inverter into my cig lighter just before leaving the UK yesterday and it seemed to blow a fuse and both the stereo and 12v point on the dash went dead, I found a blown fuse row C #7 5 amp and replaced this on the Eurotunnel but I still have no power to both items. I'm guessing there may be a stereo fuse (but I don't have radio keys) but can't understand why I have no cig lighter power still. What am I missing.

It's a little annoying as I need to charge a sat nav, walkie talkie and my phone and also have no music whilst crossing Europe, I would like to try to fix this in the next day or so at least.....help!

If you have a standard CDr-22
remove the oblong trim around the climate control unit ( use a credit card as a tool if necessary)
undue the screws that hold in the climate control and pull it forward out of the dash
put your hand in behind the radio and pull the radio forward and you can remove it that way, without the need for the keys.

if you do have problems, remove the horse shoe trim that the central locking, cigar lighter etc buttons sit in and you can release the radio retaining lugs that way.
again a credit card or two could be used a tool to release the clips holding the trim

Thanks for the replies, I removed my PCM and fitted a Kenwood unit and I have removed every fuse in the fuse box but nothing else was blown, I'm just curious why the cig lighter popping has taken the stereo out with it, hopully they share a fuse behind the unit. Currently just crossed the border into Slovenia so struggling to find a car spares shop.

Surely you can just jump the fuse connections with a paper clip. Who needs fuses eh? :grin:

Hope you're all enjoying your 'tour' (daren't say holiday, pzero will grill me again!).

:thumb:

How do you know your cig lighter isn't working? Have you sparked up a fag or just tried your inverter - that may have blown?

I doubt it'll be this but some folk on the US forums have had their socket become disconnected at the rear.

I'd personally just do the live wire from the battery.

Im thinking you might have blown one of the maxi fuses so the fuse board for cig lighter and radio are not getting a feed .. try the hazard lights .. do they work ? they seem to be on the same system .

Sheet 16 power and the fuse seems to be maxi fuse 2 .. i tryed to do a picture but cant get it big enough to show the system .

Best way to quickly check is a voltmeter on the fuse for cigar lighter or rig up a bulb just to see if you have feed there ..

If you do then its not that .. if not .. its the maxi fuse .

No idear if any company here is of any use ..

http://www.europages.co.uk/companies/Croatia/spare parts.html

If you can get some wire and a spare bulb you could put it on the cigar lighter fuse connection and if it lights up then its not that , i doubt you took a volt meter on your trip .. i know i wouldn,t have .

Either way its not going to help a lot im afraid as you wont be getting at the power distributor untill your at home with plenty of tools .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back