Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Correct use of gasket sealants

mightyvr6

Trainee
Hi chaps,

I've stripped down the back end of my car to change the cam cover gaskets, cam chain cover gaskets following in the footsteps of decgraham and others. Is it policy or even a good idea to apply a gasket sealant in addition to new seals? I notice on jackals site he used a loctite product on the cam chain covers but does this apply to the cam covers? I'm looking for a belt and braces solution as I've heard they can start leaking again and know they have already been changed in the past but still weep. Any opinions welcomed or advice on the dos and dont's before I proceed :thumb:

Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben,

I didn't use any sealant but that aside while you are in there change the cam chain tensioner gaskets as well as the oil bridge O rings. I am going to have to go back in to do this. I will also be doing the top camshaft gaskets as I still have a weep, now a teardrop rather than a teaspoon.

ATB :)

I have the gaskets but haven't done the job as yet.

However as the gaskets are rubber items I'd be tempted to give them a slight smear in sealer. Even if it just gets the gasket to sit nicely in place whilst you offer up the cover.

Trev

Do not use sealer on the gaskets, it is not needed if the faces are clean. Do replace the rubber dounuts under each screw as these go hard and leak.
If your car has the dowel fixing for cam timing then no poroblem but if it has the later friction type you could have the cam timing checked, it depends how competent you are and if you have the correct tools. The triangle seals behind the box to the cam carrier are also a common leak point which again requires the same tools and knowledge to fix.

Thanks chaps. Seems to be a matter of opinion but I can see why jackal used it on the chain covers as there are so many parts to remove to rectify. In fact this job has become much bigger and I'm also changing the upper cam cover seals, spark plugs, ht leads, dizzies, filters and oil whilst im in there. My chassis legs need a small repair too due to corrosion but they aren't as bad as they could have been. I think I will just lightly oil the cam cover gaskets and see how I get on with them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back