Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aero Mk 1 / GT3 Mk 1 Front splitter compatibility?

Judder

Quick one for those in the know...

I have the front Aero bumper on my 996 which has the same splitter attached from the look of it as the GT3 Mk 1 as per below

It's taken a toll over the few months I have had it in London - speed bumps, car park ramps et all - so looking to replace it with either a new one, ideally a 'flatter' one or even just a guard to make the car less low

I've been chatting with Porsche Reading about the GT3 Cup Front splitter, but they aren't sure if it will fit - and perhaps it is only for the GT3 Mk 2 style bumpers?

Anyone got a pointer as to which ones would replace the original or a suitable 'city' friendly alternative?

Also it's going to the PCGB evening in August at Brands Hatch so would be looking for one to put on for track too

Thanks in advance for the tips!!

3756_large_1.jpg

There will be a 996.1 and a 996.2 front splitter i.e. the bit underneath the bumper - of which there will be a "street" and a "local racing"/"cup" version of each

The "cup" versions are typically slightly larger and finished to slightly lower quality, but equally can be considerably cheaper (as they were intended to be slightly disposable track day/local racing items)
- I have a 996.1 cup front splitter attached under my non aero/GT3 front bumper....

I think what you're looking into is fitting a 996.2 splitter, which has a flatter outward/forward projecting design in place of the 996.1 which has a downward facing "chin" design
- this seems to be a relatively widely done mod on the US forums, where they discuss the amount of "fettling" required to marry the two together

A better alternative could be just to lose the lower splitter altogether? - whatever you fit to that part of the bumper is always going to have to be a tad "sacrificial" driving in town

Keep the splitter on, it'll save your PU from damage on everything from speed bumps to car park ramps, which would turn out much more expensive in the end.
I've got a GRP one l bought off eBay for £50. I've no idea how much a genuine one costs. The seller lists them all the time, there's a listing on eBay for it now.
I've also put a piece of black trim strip along the lower edge of the splitter to save it from light contact. So far it all works well. So the trim strip saves the splitter which saves the PU!

Thanks both for the reply - much appreciated

@demon

Mark @ Porsche Reading parts has been super helpful and I have order a replacement Mk1 splitter (they could only find one model here and I don't have the part number yet) and the Mk2 club splitter (they couldn't find it by description only by part number - 996.505.986.91)

So when I pick those up I will take photos and post up the part numbers

For reference both were around 80GBP which seems pretty reasonable

@Griffter

Good plan - if you could PM me a link to the eBay one that would be good as I can try one of those too

I did wonder that scraping the splitter would put pressure on the front bumper, which in turn would put pressure on the places where it is bolted to the car, but I guess it flexes enough to survive that

Reference:

For reference, I could only really find information on the Mk2 splitters, but here is what I gathered from a number of posts across all the 996 websites and forums:

1. Mk2 Cup Splitter (996.505.986.91) [996 GT3RS splitter]

996 GT3 MK2 CUP VERSION
996 505 986 91

Cost £80

The new Cup spoiler has 115mm clearance off the ground at centre front.

The Cup spoiler has a 45mm more horizontal width (flat plain) at the sides, in front of the wheels.

Despite the above, the Cup spoiler is way higher than the front brake ducts which are only 65mm off the road!

It cost £62.50+VAT (£73.44)

I ordered the MKI clips (part number 999.507.497.40 - 01C03 Expansion) at £0.18+VAT each * 13

2. Mk2 Standard/ Aero Splitter (996 505 986 02)

~75mm clearance off the ground at the front [Judder: so less than the Cup one!]

996 GT3 MK2 STD SPOILER

996 505 986 92 01C

Cost £180

3. Threads

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?...start=15&sid=6afcccedc36be1dcf177cdce203d7503

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=490747&i=0

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/319019-996gt3-rs-cup-lip-996gt2-bumper.html

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1089210

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1281147

I have a Mk1 aero kit car, I have fitted a Mk2 Cup splitter.

It fits but requires a little fettling and new mounting holes to be drilled in the PU. - I was having my PU painted so it was the right time to fit.

My car runs at GT3 ride height which gives little front end clearance, circa 70mm, maybe lower.

I have 997 GT3 brake ducts fitted which from memory are about the same distance from the road as the splitter.

There are two types of fixing available, go for the push type, not the threaded type. You can also use double sided 3M tape, Porsche sell this, however I did not bother and have had no issues.

crash7 said:
I have a Mk1 aero kit car, I have fitted a Mk2 Cup splitter.

Any chance of a photo? - would be great to see!

crash7 said:
It fits but requires a little fettling and new mounting holes to be drilled in the PU. - I was having my PU painted so it was the right time to fit.

My car runs at GT3 ride height which gives little front end clearance, circa 70mm, maybe lower.

I have 997 GT3 brake ducts fitted which from memory are about the same distance from the road as the splitter.

There are two types of fixing available, go for the push type, not the threaded type. You can also use double sided 3M tape, Porsche sell this, however I did not bother and have had no issues.

Perfect - thanks - I order from Porsche Reading this morning:

- 2 x 3M tape (4m) @ £21 odd
- 26 x MKI clips (part number 999.507.497.40 - 01C03 Expansion) @ 40p each odd

Interestingly I also have the GT3 brake ducts ready to fit to mine (I think these are the 997 ones too) which look a little lower than standard but not too hugely

Quick dumb question - what does PU refer to - Porsche Undercarriage :?:

I will try and get a picture for you tonight, I will also measure actual ground clearance.

If you buying from Reading OPC, challenge the prices, ask if they can improve, you will see a drop of at least 10%.

3M tape is readily available from other sources much cheaper than OPC, stick with OPC for splitter fixings.

As an example..,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automotive-3M-Acrylic-Attachment-Mystarsound-com/dp/B006QYB3JG

997 GT3 ducts are larger than all of the 996 ducts, with the exception of the Cup ducts, which are huge! - I will try and post an image.

The issue with the cup splitter is that it limits the air that can flow to the brake ducts, its a trade off, down force 'v' brake cooling.

PU = Bumper.

demon said:
There will be a 996.1 and a 996.2 front splitter i.e. the bit underneath the bumper - of which there will be a "street" and a "local racing"/"cup" version of each

The "cup" versions are typically slightly larger and finished to slightly lower quality, but equally can be considerably cheaper (as they were intended to be slightly disposable track day/local racing items)
- I have a 996.1 cup front splitter attached under my non aero/GT3 front bumper....

I think what you're looking into is fitting a 996.2 splitter, which has a flatter outward/forward projecting design in place of the 996.1 which has a downward facing "chin" design
- this seems to be a relatively widely done mod on the US forums, where they discuss the amount of "fettling" required to marry the two together

A better alternative could be just to lose the lower splitter altogether? - whatever you fit to that part of the bumper is always going to have to be a tad "sacrificial" driving in town

Demon, have you got a pic of the splitter on the non aero front bumper?

Top is standard 996 C2 front brake duct, bottom is 997 GT3.

Attachments

• c2_gt3_duct_851.jpg
    c2_gt3_duct_851.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 7,717
Yes, good call, I bought the same - £24.99 from Jasmine Porsche via eBay

Attachments

• gt3brakeducts_820.jpg
    gt3brakeducts_820.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 7,705
Cool. - You can also fit the rears which help a little. - If you need part numbers shout.

Always try your OPC for parts before buying off e-bay, these are about £5 each from Porsche.

crash7 said:
Cool. - You can also fit the rears which help a little. - If you need part numbers shout.

Always try your OPC for parts before buying off e-bay, these are about £5 each from Porsche.

Damn - didn't think to do that for these!

Part numbers for the rears would be great though if you have them to hand... :thumb:

997GT3 Front Ducts - £2.18 each plus vat

997 Rears - £6.30 each plus vat

£80 sounds a good price for the splitter. People pedal copy ones on eBay for £60. Good result. :thumb:

Edited to add - A guy on here who I forget his name now, gave me the above info. I had them in my eBay watch list for a crazy price. Some great info on here. :thumb:

Just checked eBay: all of those are about 100% marked up.

Will be speaking to OPC tomorrow. Thanks!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back