Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Golf R (Estate) experience welcomed

Johnd52

Has anyone owned a Golf R? The estate version seems to fit our requirements for daily duties and trips abroad, but with the ability to entertain when opportunity allows.

I would appreciate any feedback on the options worth having and the ownership experience ( I imagine it to be fairly painless in a Golf sort of way).

Thanks

I've had a Mk7 Golf R (hatchback, not estate) for about 5 1/2 months. Decent pace, very capable all-rounder and surprisingly agile (I came from an Audi 8P RS3 so I was used to a very nose-heavy car). Mine is DSG: very smooth in full-auto; nice and responsive in manual. I test drove a manual as well and just felt that DSG suited me and the car better.

The biggest downside is the noise it makes. It's got this God-awful Soundaktor thing which can be disabled through the in-car menu on newer models but without VCDS can only be turned down on mine (64-plate). Outside it sounds a bit better but there's only so much you can do with a 2-litre turbo.

I'm happy with it for now but I'm hankering after more cylinders and a better soundtrack.

Whilst recently looking for a new daily driver I test drove various M4 & M4 competition parks along with Mercedes C63S AMG to replace my M3.

Thought I'd economise and also test drove the new Golf R and 3 occasions along with the Mercedes A45AMG and CLA45AMG.

Really wanted to like the Golf R and remap to 400bhp, however was dissapointed on every occasion. It drives well, good handling etc however as a driver you have very little imvolvemdnt, it's AA if you are cocooned in cotton wool. Pressing the loud pedal is accelerates according to the speedo however just doesn't feel exciting or quick.

Also feels like a hatch inside. The A45AMG is far more involving to drive, feels far quicker and far more exciting to drive, also sounds good.

May not be what you wanted to hear however hope that helps.

15% discount currently available on new Golf R and A45AMG via www.drivethedeal.com

I have owned 2 MK7 R's. Not an estate though. Both were manuals.
They are good cars, maintainance costs are reasonable.
Recommend DSG, holds better re sale value, if buying and intending to be a long termed, get an extended factory warranty at purchase will give you the best cover . Suggest including a rear view camera when spec'ing.
Not missed a beat.
Currently I drive an A45, get a lot of car for the money. Service charges are higher. Feels a bit more heavier and there are some ongoing gear box issues which clunk even in the facelift models( mine is okay so far). Go for the premium package if buying an A45.
Drive both and decide, I like both!
Fuel efficiency etc are similiar.

I ran one for 2 years. Perfect daily. Not as hardcore as some hot hatches, much more refined, comfortable, 911 quick, good on fuel. Handles better tha Audi equivalents and cheaper. The estate appeals and is a likely replacement for the family hack, shame they dont do it in manual.

We run one as the wife's daily driver. Its a good little car, pace is good, fuel is good. Ours is DSG and its good but not as good as PDK.

Its a touch dull but if you disable the stability control and have an individual mode with the sportier settings but normal steering it comes alive a bit more.

Wouldn't buy another though, our local VW dealer, Robinsons is quite the worst garage I've used in about twenty years.

Regards
Fred

Almost, test drove, but as a family car went for the R line in the end, and just upgraded to the mk 7.5, a lot cheaper DSG, refined and crazy 60 mpg. So good it beats the Audi A3, real world mpg I'd say you'd get half MPG in an R
Plus a really well specced R your into 911 Gen 2 money.

DSG R is seriously quick but doesn't really feel if?

spongebob squarepants said:
Almost, test drove, but as a family car went for the R line in the end, and just upgraded to the mk 7.5, a lot cheaper DSG, refined and crazy 60 mpg. So good it beats the Audi A3, real world mpg I'd say you'd get half MPG in an R
Plus a really well specced R your into 911 Gen 2 money.

DSG R is seriously quick but doesn't really feel if?

A well specced new facelifted Golf R is around £38k, however it's possible to get £5k off bringing the price down to £33k

For £2k more it's possible to get a new A45AMG

I wouldn't buy a new one looking at how the residuals have faired following the massive number of ex lease cars now available.

I've had a manual R hatchback over 2 years now, the longer I've had it the more it's grown on me. It felt a bit anodyne at first, but once I'd had it a while and it had shown just how competent it was, I grew to really like it. Fast, safe and comfortable in every driving situation I can think of, it will go down as one of my best ever Golfs, and I've had loads of them over the years. I am considering getting a 7.5 to replace it, will go DSG next time, the manual gearbox is good but the clutch is not really up to the job. Only other weak points are the suspension is a bit wallowy, air-con struggles in hot weather unless you hit the max a/c button, paint is soft when new, and I've found the main dealers terrible lately.

The adaptive cruise control that comes as standard is truly excellent for motorway driving, it doesn't come as standard on equivalent Audis or Mercs as far as I know. I haven't bothered to master some of the media/obc kit, but I am so glad I read the manual on the ACC straight away and started using it, it's a really useful modern gadget.

PCH is often the best value option for getting an R.

Agreed on the ACC, I thought I would hate it. Its brilliant.

I also thought it would make you fall asleep, but I actually find I'm more alert driving.

Regards
Fred

FredGT3 said:
Agreed on the ACC, I thought I would hate it. Its brilliant.

I also thought it would make you fall asleep, but I actually find I'm more alert driving.

Regards
Fred

As above Even the R line, by a mile it's the best normo car I've ever had, by an absolute mile, hence getting the 7.5. ( it's my 8th golf). Golfs are a bit like Lana Del Rey you either love or hate :D

All interesting reading as we are looking for a new daily ourselves. Have any of you compared these cars with a BMW 1 series e.g. M135/140?? Any experiences?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back