Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It could only happen on a French road trip!

mzmini

So a little over a week ago, the wife and I embarked on our annual road trip to France; this time to the sunny south to make the most of the glorious weather that was forecast and take in the first practice day of the Monaco Grand Prix.

Usually on these trips we see few cars of any interest but that was not the case this time. First up - a local village car show just a couple of miles outside Avignon. An eclectic mix of vehicles including several Porsches and a sight I have never seen before: A Frenchman preparing his lunch in the engine bay of his Ferrari :eek:

We also had a great fast motorway run with another Ferrari for company for a good hour or so

Then it was on to Monaco for F1 free practice on the Thursday before heading back. Unfortunately the fence got in the way of any decent photos but still a great spot to get a feel of the action.

Beaune was our stopping off point on the way back and wandering round the town we must have seen at least half a dozen Porsches - highly unusual in any French town and most of them old models. We'd parked the 911 at the hotel (always worried about the French style of parking) and knowing the hotel was full that night, just hoped that the car would be safe for the night. Shouldn't have worried though, as whilst sitting by the pool, I heard that familiar engine sound and going out to the car park I was greeted by not one but about 20 Porches parking up. It was only a Porsche Club from Normandy that was staying the night! We got chatting and they mentioned that they have a gathering in April/May around Honfleur/Deauville and why don't we come along next year!

) Perhaps a little weekend outing from Portsmouth or Poole will be on the cards for 2018 :grin:

Finally arrived back home this afternoon and it's taken me nigh on 4 hours to clean off all the muck, grime and dead flies from over 2000 miles.......... but it was worth it! :D

Great post :thumb:

Can't beat a good road trip :thumb:

...... like the sound of the Honfleur/Deauville trip for next year ........ :)

T8 said:
Great post :thumb:

+1. Only just got round to reading it now :thumb:

Was the owner called Thierry? :grin:

34563146740_543354d9f2_z.jpg

Well the French do love cheese, and apparently that's what Ferrari engines are made out of.

Chris , I am up for a little run to Le France , now where can I buy a beret and a striped tee shirt ans a string of onions :grin: :grin: :grin:

Phil you can wear what you like as long as its not leather shorts :floor:

It's a small world made smaller by technology and transport links. I find the French don't buy Porsche vehicles as a general. Every time we go to my house just outside La Rochelle, the French swarm around the vehicle and have photos taken with it. Which is rather cool (yet we take Porsche for granted, like the norm really).

One thing that has always puzzled us is why the Boxster gets more attention than the 911???

France is a fantastic country to get from A to B very quickly. Puts the UK road network to shame really.

......and rail network.

mzmini said:
Phil you can wear what you like as long as its not leather shorts :floor:

OK Chris mankini it is then :thumb:

Sweet Jesus save me I feel queasy already :floor:

Phil 997 said:
Chris , I am up for a little run to Le France , now where can I buy a beret and a striped tee shirt ans a string of onions :grin: :grin: :grin:

Mange tout, Rodney!

Could do our bit for entente cordiale and all that...

Or just fill the frunk with cheap booze....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back