Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice for an air-cooled newbie...

thesmithsUK

Hi,

I've just sold my (rare) TVR 450 SEAC and am about to put my 996 C4S - seal grey, manual, 86k, FSH, IMS upgrade - on the market. I'm now starting to look for something air-cooled and 80's...

I'm currently eyeing up a 1982 SC 3.0 Targa and a 1984 Carrera 3.2 Coupe.

I confess to preferring the looks of the former but suspect I'd prefer the drive of the latter.

Does anyone have comparative experience of these models?

Insights welcome.

Hi, I would post up on the impactbumpers.com website as guys over there are far more experienced on the models. I had an 83 SC coupe which was 3.0 lt with 915 box, although box was in superb order it could not be rushed and needed to be thoughtfully driven. Loved it and ran for 10 years with no issues. Replaced it with a 3.2 Speedster with G50 box, a totally different drive with a positive change and one you could easily get in and drive without really thinking of the gear change. Everything else was same, no abs,traction or power steering. Great cars and enjoyed all the years I owned them, now replaced with a 996 X50 turbo cab, totally different but so much more usable for me, personal view obviously, but having driven the air cooled for over 20 years loving the relatively new creature comforts (old age,me I mean😀)
They are both superb cars but in different ways, I would drive both and then decide whip suits your driving. However check for RUST! it's surprising how it can hide
Good luck

Thanks Geoff - really helpful. Just joined the IB forum.

Which ever you decide get a PPI done by a good Porsche experienced mechanic .. these cars are starting to show there age now and that may well save you a lot of money .

Decided to buy a good 964 Manual Cab instead. Excuse the wheels - am onto it...!

I tested a couple of very 3.2's but the prices were just too strong for me. Am keeping the 996 C4S as the daily drive...

IMG_2509_zpsp92vek94.jpg

Very nice.. I have owned an SC and a Carrera and the SC was far more fun with that lovely revvy engine.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back