Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 water in rear lights

pcat

'ullo

I've always had a bit of condensation in one of my brake lights, was told it was normal and didnt really bother me for 3 years. However in the last couple of days i'm getting an intermittent "check right indicator" message, which when i checked was the rear indicator.

Is there an easy way of taking the light apart and getting the wet out, or is it a sealed unit that needs replacing?

There was a thread on here recently that discussed opening up a small hole on the side of the light fitting on the gen2 , seem to remember guys saying it was covered by a sticky tab. this then allows the unit to dry out and breath .
apparently its a common issue due to the lack of heat given off by LEDS.
:thumb:

Hi Pcat,

there are plenty of threads regarding this problem, the search function is your friend.

Long story cut short though, the lights are very easy to remove and when you get them out, try to dry them as best possible to start with, then remove the little black sticker.
Just removing the sticker (no additional drill holes) cured this problem for me.
hope this helps.

Stuttgartflyer said:
Hi Pcat,

there are plenty of threads regarding this problem, the search function is your friend.

Long story cut short though, the lights are very easy to remove and when you get them out, try to dry them as best possible to start with, then remove the little black sticker.
Just removing the sticker (no additional drill holes) cured this problem for me.
hope this helps.

Thats the one :thumb: :yeah:

There is known issue with them leaking on the gen 2, I think it the clear section in the middle of the cluster is glued in and this is where the water gets in.

Both of mine had condensation in, one was bad enough for warranty, the other got changed as the new cluster was different to the remaining one, someone had enough sense to authorise both to be replaced under warranty.

Thanks. On closer inspection the clear section has split apart from the red bit, so ive ordered a new one

I also had this issue and since removing the two small stickers it hasn't happend since.

Hi, yes you can resolve the issue short term. The rear lights cluster units come out very easily. Unclip the wiring looms connectors,and if I remember they are the star head type screws (but don't scorn me if I'm wrong). There are little 10mm diameter sticky labels over a few holes. Gently peal these back but not entirely off. Pop the units on a radiator over night (obviously have them on). In the morning they'll be dry inside. Now push the small labels back on to prevent ingress of dust and general road & airborne particles getting into the unit. The units cannot be taken apart to clean inside so make sure they are pretty well sealed.

Then it's a case of reconnecting the wiring plugs and popping them back in.

If the vehicle is under a Porsche extended warranty scheme then you won't have to do any pa of the above-mentioned as they'll get replaced FOC. I think Porsche AG changed the design slightly as a cure on the 2010 2011 models, which was then used on the 991 (but with a different shape for the 991)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back