Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Powerflex gearbox mounting bush insert kit - WOW!

The later mount has a different shape of rubber and voids, and is distinguished by a more 'teardrop' shape of centre.

The 987 front engine mount was a big upgrade on my old 986, so I should imagine in the gearbox application of a 996 it'd help quite a lot too. Couple that with some RSS (or 964 RS) engine mounts, and I think you'd have a good package.

thecarfixer said:
The later mount has a different shape of rubber and voids, and is distinguished by a more 'teardrop' shape of centre.

The 987 front engine mount was a big upgrade on my old 986, so I should imagine in the gearbox application of a 996 it'd help quite a lot too. Couple that with some RSS (or 964 RS) engine mounts, and I think you'd have a good package.
would you have the part number for the 987 boxster engine mountr bush?
thanks carfixer :thumb:

diverzeusy said:
alex yates said:
I do love a soft bush, just maybe not in Yellow. What's the other colour? :?: :oops:
Alex the main thing is,
if you require a soft ride you need a well shaved bush, however, us northerners prefer a hard ride so I would never shave my bush, just have it as it was intended, black? yellow? who cares. :floor: :floor: :thumb:
On a more serious note please let us know how you get on, shaved or otherwise :grin:

I was hoping Alex was going into detail as why a shaved bush makes for a better ride :grin: I like the bush on my ride to be soft but need to find out if shaved is the way to go . I do think some of the new models come with a shaved bush to make the ride better. but looking forward to what Alex finds when he does some tweaking and if that helps with the stiffness. :grin: :thumb:

Some amazing info shared here guys. Boy I love this forum!! :thumbs:

911munKy said:
Very informative Alex, thanks, looking forward to your future updates.
Also EGTE & Marky, your experience is valued.

I'm wondering if I should just get a set and try giving them a 'shave' before fitting, I'm thinking that the side walls probably transfer most of the NVH.

I have recently fitted and have covered around 500miles with them.
I really like the feel and the vibration seems to have died down however I was thinking about cutting them similar to what you describe munky.

if you were to insert them then cut the side walls off and just use the old soft side wall pads then you may be on to a 'best of both worlds' solution.
Similarly, filling the bush with some resin may give a similar result.

something to think about !

Someone needs to experiment if it's the sidewalls or aperture inserts of a combination of both.

jezgreen911 said:
EGTE said:
I found these completely unbearable and gave them away (to another forum member).

But it probably comes down to just how balanced the drive-train is on each car. Mine had a new clutch and may be a tad out; it was appalling.

I fitted these (thanks again EGTE) along with RSS engine mounts, I really like the improved connection and feel between the car and drivetrain, I guess I would put myself in the wannabe GT3 camp, my car was standard when I bought it so I can appreciate the comfort and usability of a stock 996, I just wanted my car to have a sportier feel, :thumb:

Glad it worked for you :thumb:

alex yates said:
Someone needs to experiment if it's the sidewalls or aperture inserts of a combination of both.

Great info and write ups here. Modifying the bush had crossed my mind when the other guys had said the bush was a little harsh and my idea, in this order, was to take most of the sidewall of the bush away as this is not really needed and see what result that brings, then take one of the insert sections off. I will have time to access how the bush performs for the next 4000 miles then when I get home I'll think about the mod.

This is the tool you need to buy or make to replace the mount in situ:

porsche-flush-tool-image9_2.jpg

$300 here with instructions: http://www.agatools.com/part/porsche-transmission-parts/porsche-transmission-tool

Could probably knock it up with some steel pipe and decent strength threaded rod.

However this makes it sound like you need a to of force: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/28781-diy-for-transmission-mount-rr/

I held off fitting my power flex, I think a new lemforder bush will be going in when the clutch is done, I'm the kinda guy that drops his tyre pressures a little and doesn't drive to the shops like its a track day. ;)

:grin: :thumb:

infrasilver said:
........and my idea, in this order, was to take most of the sidewall of the bush away as this is not really needed and see what result that brings.

I was thinking about this last night and why the sidewall is the thickness it is. It then dawned on me that they're that thickness as the distance across the outside faces of them when both inserts are fully depressed into the mounting bush are the same width as the carrier that goes over them. This is so that the outer faces act as stops and prevent the inserts from moving out from the apertures in the bush, thus ensuring they are fully encapsulated in their designed position.

Mine do seem to be less 'vibrant' since I fitted them on Friday. Think they'll be getting left alone for the foreseeable future and see what happens.

Edit: Sorry Chris, I'm presuming you meant thinning the walls down of the inserts? Correct me if I'm wrong.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back