Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

extra 12v supply

silvermilnec

Albert Park
I have the extra 12v supply in the passenger footwell plus the normal 12v under the ashtray.
I know this is picky but I like to have a charging lead for the iphone available all the time but don't like the look of the ashtray always open and it looks like the one in the passenger side would get kicked off.

Anyone added one and hid it awa, seems like an easy thing to do.

Trivial I know!

I am assuming you don't have the armrest cubby socket then?

If you do need to fit one, the glove box may be the best solution.

No mine the so called 1.5 and has the pcm3.

Thanks for the reply 👍

So does that mean you have the UMI?

ipod-002-2.jpg

I do yes, your going to say get an adapter? I didn't know you could?

You guessed right!

The pin outs give power for simultaneous charging (as well as iPod control)

Even if you have a non-iPhone you could still extract 5v

I am sure google and/or ebay could help you find a relevant adapter, or buy an incompatible adapter (phone end) and splice into the right end!

(it would only require 2 wire pairs to solder)

Great I'll get one, I like the idea the phone put away as well!!

silvermilnec said:
Great I'll get one, I like the idea the phone put away as well!!

Unless you've got a super-sized iPhone 6+ in which case you might struggle in that space.

From memory you can remove the ipod / aux box and there is a hole for a cig lighter under it , the wireing will be in the center consol .. at least thats what i remember when we used to retro fit the ipod/aux kit .. but thats going back a good few years now lol .

The base rubber mat is a smaller version so a longer one would be needed if going down that route and also a cig lighter unit .

Personnely i think GT4 has the best solution .. an adaptor .

Demort said:
From memory you can remove the ipod / aux box and there is a hole for a cig lighter under it , the wireing will be in the center consol .. at least thats what i remember when we used to retro fit the ipod/aux kit .. but thats going back a good few years now lol .

The base rubber mat is a smaller version so a longer one would be needed if going down that route and also a cig lighter unit .

Personnely i think GT4 has the best solution .. an adaptor .

Your are right (the UMI unit is secured and takes power from the under cig lighter which is fitted as standard to the centre console under it on production line), but it is also connected to the UMI multiplug to the PCM, so you'd have that end flying free in the cubby (unless you stripped that back too, which is a slippery slope of centre console removal!!!)

So yeah, just get adapter :D

ok got the adapter, an official apple one. It doesn't charge but the biggest problem is it doesn't fit under the armrest with the adapter attached.

Or well back to the drawing board.

Which version of the cable are you using with the media interface, as there are two?

The first is the cable as shown in GT4's photo, with just the multi-pin connector for the PCM, which doesn't charge an iPod Touch, or early iPhone. The second is a Y-cable which adds a USB plug for power, as shown (excuse the photo lifted from elsewhere.

You will probably still be stuffed by the size of the phone though.

Attachments

• s_l225_161.jpg
    s_l225_161.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 4,706
Graemep said:
Which version of the cable are you using with the media interface, as there are two?

The first is the cable as shown in GT4's photo, with just the multi-pin connector for the PCM, which doesn't charge an iPod Touch, or early iPhone. The second is a Y-cable which adds a USB plug for power, as shown (excuse the photo lifted from elsewhere.

You will probably still be stuffed by the size of the phone though.

Cheers for the reply! It's the first cable. I use the USB for a small thumb drive loaded with music or I'd use the USB with a normal charger.

Likewise, I usually have a thumb drive rather than anything Apple there.

Otherwise I normally cheat as I have run a cable under the mats and seat from the 12V socket under the dash, which is normally for the benefit of my son's iPad.

If I'm in the car on my own I do have a thin USB cable suitable for my Sony phone to go in the centre console, and it just fits..

I just spliced into the feed for the footwell socket and put an extra socket behind the centre console and fed a cable through to the centre cubby.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back