Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4s Security

Swampy

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi, I'm going to see a late 2009 C4S on Friday at Porsche West London and I'm pretty dam sure that I shall be driving my first 911 home with me.
Just a quick Q regarding security on these things, in the 80's/90's when hot hatches came on the scene they were being stolen as quick as anything. What about 911's, are these pretty safe bets or do they go walkies? if so I was thinking of getting some sort of steering wheel lock, anything to slow the would-be thief has got to be worth it in my view.
Also, Porsche has offered me GAP Insurance for £600 for 3 years, I was looking at buying it online and one of the Q's they wanted to know if I have owned the car for under or over 3 months, why the difference.

Regards Swamps :)

T8 said:
Rest easy. Security is not something that's discussed on here very often.

Many Thanks T8, I guess I'm like the user of the link that you linked to just being paranoid. Very reassuring to know that he had no problems after 4+ years :)
My Mrs hasn't helped thou, as one of her friends had a Scooby and their house was broken into for the keys.
So, I have had a new reinforced front door and CCTV fitted to the house, yes, I know if a determined thief wanted to get the car they will, but if it puts them off then all the better, hoping that they go for the Maserati parked down the road.
As for the GAP Insurance Q I'll do a separate post later as just about to leave for work.

Swamps :)

The most likely way you car will be stolen will be with the keys. Make sure they are safely stored away and that your house is secure. It's generally much easier for a thief to break into a house for keys than into a car and hotwire it! Unfortunately I learnt this the hard way when I was burgled, when we were alseep, and my cayman was nicked. Luckily I had a tracker it was located quickly with no damage.

My house is now a combination of Fort Knox and Home Alone!

I also have gap Insurance (RTI) that I bought online for about £150 for 4 years.

nigel99 said:
The most likely way you car will be stolen will be with the keys. Make sure they are safely stored away and that your house is secure. It's generally much easier for a thief to break into a house for keys than into a car and hotwire it! Unfortunately I learnt this the hard way when I was burgled, when we were alseep, and my cayman was nicked. Luckily I had a tracker it was located quickly with no damage.

My house is now a combination of Fort Knox and Home Alone!

I also have gap Insurance (RTI) that I bought online for about £150 for 4 years.

Thanks Nigel99, Much needed advice, glad that you got your car back ok, our house is very rarely empty and as I wont be using the 911 (when I get it) as a day to day car the keys will be in a key safe.
Your GAP Insurance sounds like a bargain at £150, I shall def be having a look around.

Swamps good luck going to look at the car hope its right for you mate, I will be watching the simply Porsche thread and if your name appears as going on the 4th I will know you have got the car :thumb: :thumb:

Interestingly, my house was burgled BECAUSE of the Porshas parked on my drive, luckily even though the keys were left in the kitchen drawer that was left open after the event, the cars were not taken......................but the CCTV recording device was :thumb:

They must have presumed that I had gold bars dangling from the ceiling....................Oh how disappointed the ******* must have been once they made their way inside my humble abode :grin:

Phil 997 said:
Swamps good luck going to look at the car hope its right for you mate, I will be watching the simply Porsche thread and if your name appears as going on the 4th I will know you have got the car :thumb: :thumb:

Phil, many thanks, I have just had a quick look at the event on the 4th but sad to say I can't make that one as I shall be at work, will deff keep an eye out for future events :)

kurlykris said:
Interestingly, my house was burgled BECAUSE of the Porshas parked on my drive, luckily even though the keys were left in the kitchen drawer that was left open after the event, the cars were not taken......................but the CCTV recording device was :thumb:

They must have presumed that I had gold bars dangling from the ceiling....................Oh how disappointed the ******* must have been once they made their way inside my humble abode :grin:

Kurlykris, I just can't believe how laidback with regards to your burglary you are, I would be pretty angry, glad that the cars weren't taken but pretty obvious why the DVR was :(

On this subject, My Girlfriend and I went out for a meal on Sunday and when we returned to my car, she noticed that's plastic fork had been placed under each wheel.

Apparently, it's the done thing to see if a car is moved or not, although she had heard people using stones (less obvious).

Does seem odd if someone was planning to steal it though as it's in a restarting car park in direct view of a security camera!

Other than that I've had no issues in my 3 years of 911 ownership!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back