Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Continued problems with cab roof

peter roberts

Since replacing the soft top on MY2000 cab for a hard windowed version i have had problems with the roof as previously reported. The roof would open perfectly but the clam shell would not close when the roof was down. This was finally traced to a broken plastic cam in the roof motor cover which prevented the limit switch being triggered. Very obscure but has proved to be the problem. I have now changed the motor assy.
However when the roof is opened the clam shell now closes but it stops about an inch short of being closed and the side flaps also stop short of fully closing.
When the roof is put up the clam shell closes all the way so there is nothing jamming it open.
I have not tried adjusting the roof manually as i did not want to alter the setting so having to reprograme it.
I took the car to Porsche and they could not even find the fault on their diagnostic test so do not want to take it back there.
Anyone have any thoughts on what is causing this and the solution

If the clam shell and the flaps both stop then it sounds like the roof thinks its in the fully closed position so is shutting down the motor .

I think the clam shell closed switch is part of the drive cable mechanism .. not sure here as ive not worked on one for a long while.

There is a chance though that it needs a calibration routine doing , there are various potentiometers that need calibrateing .. hard to diagnose this without looking im afraid .. but i am a little supprised that porsche couldnt fix it .

I agree but the strange thing is that when the roof is put into the closed position the clam shell closes completely and I would guess the end switch signal is the same one .

The only way to tell is to run through a signal test in PST2 or PIWIS and check each of the limit switches behave properly. This is akin to swapping an A type hood mechanism to B type on a 986, some of the limit switches differ.

If you're near London I have Porsche diags kit and could run through the checks with you.

Thanks for the offer but i am in South Wales which is a long way from you.
As luck would have it i have solved the problem. Well almost.
The rear side seat trim was fouling the flap on one side so was not fully lifting. resetting the trim and liberal amounts of wd40 on every pivot and thread i could get to and the flaps now close completely and the clam shell goes down all the way.
Only thing that is not sorted is the rear windows will not operate whereas they did before i changed the roof. They are currently down and if i press the up switch there is no movement and no sound of a relay clicking. However if I press the down button i can hear what appears to be a relay clicking. This applies to both sides. The fuse is fine but i cannot see a relay for the rear windows listed anywhere.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back