Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Precious Pricing

jotaking said:
As ever, some good advice and comments. :worship:

Still sitting on the fence though....

Options are....

Keep the 997 turbo, car cover, garage and get a 996 C4S high miler to gallivant around in.

Side note...I only have a single garage, so 996 is going to be left in cold!

or

PX and cash for a 991 GT3 (Just waiting to see what happens to the GT market when the new one hits the road later this year)...that said..I think both the turbo and GT3 markets are showing similar gains??

or

Just keep the 997, use it sparingly and save my cash for the post brexit crash? :dont know:

Option 1 and 2 are good, 1 being probably the best. I would be take the advice about driving the 997TT with a pinch of salt from people with higher mileage cars. If they were in the same boat as you I'm not sure they would drive it themselves. I think if you look at the 997TT as an investment such as a house etc and buy another car that you can drive without worrying about miles, you will get the best of both worlds, you will make money and you get to enjoy a car :thumbs:

e92 said:
jotaking said:
As ever, some good advice and comments. :worship:

Still sitting on the fence though....

Options are....

Keep the 997 turbo, car cover, garage and get a 996 C4S high miler to gallivant around in.

Side note...I only have a single garage, so 996 is going to be left in cold!

or

PX and cash for a 991 GT3 (Just waiting to see what happens to the GT market when the new one hits the road later this year)...that said..I think both the turbo and GT3 markets are showing similar gains??

or

Just keep the 997, use it sparingly and save my cash for the post brexit crash? :dont know:

Option 1 and 2 are good, 1 being probably the best. I would be take the advice about driving the 997TT with a pinch of salt from people with higher mileage cars. If they were in the same boat as you I'm not sure they would drive it themselves. I think if you look at the 997TT as an investment such as a house etc and buy another car that you can drive without worrying about miles, you will get the best of both worlds, you will make money and you get to enjoy a car :thumbs:

Exactly what i do. I have a Renault Clio for work and general shunting around, I put loads of rough miles onto it and it matters not a jot. My 997 Turb is my special toy kept for weekends/runs out into the Lakes etc. She's only just turned 20k miles so its value shouldn't be too shabby.
The above is the perfect balance for me :thumbs:

Stop fretting about it and enjoy the thing. You bought it to drive, so drive it. I bought my 996C4S 4 years ago with 40k on the clock, in great condition, it now has 72k and is worth the same as I paid. I'm ecstatic about that, and it does one track day a year, weekends away and European thrashes. It has a load of dog hairs in the back, lives outside 24/7 and I love it to bits. My pleasure with this car is in the driving, it was built to drive, I bought it to drive, so it gets driven.
If you bought your 997 turbo as an investment, then that's what it should be, it's your toy, your choice. If owning it is causing you anguish, then perhaps you should sell, BUT, a great many folk have done this with 911's and regretted it ever since.
Tape over the mileometer, book a chunnel crossing, then put 2500 miles on it in 2 weeks ( I can give you a list of amazing roads to drive) , you'll be cured and won't be able to get out of it as your grin will be so wide. Following that, you'll never sell it. :D :thumbs:

askgeez said:
Errr sell it

Buy a pork that you feel less precious about :dont know:

Having a beautiful car that you don't want to drive is like being married to Rachel Riley and only shagging her once a month :floor:

:D This, x 100. Says it all really.

OP- threads like this really do make me laugh but also confuse me at the same time. The 997 Turbo is a spectacular car with stunning real world performance that can shock you and make you smile any day of the week..

BUT

It's a mass produced 911, not an Enzo or Zonda with a 7 figure value. 10k miles on a 997 Turbo, especially a gen 1 is ridiculously low miles. Drive your car as often as you can and enjoy it as much as you can.

I do 3k-4k miles a year approx and it is doing values no harm, as mine is a second car and I am often abroad so my chance to drive it is limited but I do so as often as possible.

997 Turbo prices have been rising for some time, any car with sensible miles, good condition and spec will sell easily for strong money. There are not many very good examples for sale anymore at all, most people are holding on to them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back