Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I wasn't expecting that!

CarreraMonkey

Driving back from the train station tonight when my exhaust became very loud.

Oil temp and pressure was ok, so pulled over and could hear that it was something to do with the offside silencer.

I limped home and took a closer look, to discover this:

One of the original o2 sensors that we had managed to re-use when I fitted the 200 cell cats had let go. The thread on them was a bit thin when removed.

Lesson learnt.. let's hope that it hasn't stripped the the thread in the cat.

If it has a helicoil insert in the cat should sort it, bib it sound fruity :thumbs:

Frenchmeister said:
If it has a helicoil insert in the cat should sort it, bib it sound fruity :thumbs:

It sounded like a tractor. Awful, rather than just loud. :lol:

Okay fella, helicoil is the way to go if a run down with a tap on the cat and a new sensor does not sort it.

Frenchmeister said:
Okay fella, helicoil is the way to go if a run down with a tap on the cat and a new sensor does not sort it.

Cool. Will bell my Indy tomorrow and get it booked in.

Thx

I would imagine the Lambdas are made out of what we call in the trade " monkey metal " ( or even brass and then plated ), the cheapest grade that they can get away with and usually soft as the proverbial, so hopefully the threads in your cats will have been a much tougher grade of Stainless and so survived :thumb:

Lucky you were close to home Matt :thumb:

What Kurly said, just noticed my post count was 997
:thumb:
Think I may need to waffle on here to get 1000 tonight.

I've never managed to get an O2 sensor out without damaging it as they seem to 'weld' themselves in with the heat. I just end up buying a new one :roll:

Zingari said:
I've never managed to get an O2 sensor out without damaging it as they seem to 'weld' themselves in with the heat. I just end up buying a new one :roll:

To be fair, the Indy saved 2 out of the 4, but did say that they were sketchy. They do tend to come out with little if any thread generally..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back