Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

June 1997 Carrera 2 S. Ambers or red/clear?

tyinsky

My June 1997 Carrera 2 S wide body car has clear front turn signals, and red rear turn signals. What should it have?

After an image search on Google I'm no wiser. There is a photo of a car owned by David Beckham that must be period of the year as footballers don't buy old cars - it has clear front turn signals. Yet somewhere I am under the impression they should be amber. Same for the rear and sides?

I need to replace my rear reflector, rear turn signals and front fogs (maybe just the lenses?) so need some help on buying the correct items.

:dont know:

Your car has amber front indicators and amber/red rear lights as standard. All then have amber side repeaters.

It's been popular to swap out the amber front and rears for clears as per the Carrera 4/4S and Turbo, so likely your car has had them changed at some time in the past. Now the trend seems to be for many to take them back to the period correct look. I prefer that approach, but each to their own.

2wd amber front / amber rear
4wd clear front / red rear

My C2 had been changed to C4 spec but I've gone back to amber fronts and kept the red rears because I think they work better with the red central reflector.

I say choose whichever you like the best whilst it's your car. It's easy for the next owner to change back to the "correct" spec if they want to. :thumb:

Whilst also remembering that period correct doesn't include a Becker unit with Bluetooth or tyres not rated N2. Or remaps or modified back boxes and sport cats. The period correct debate is interesting but always applied selectively. For me, the side repeaters were oblong.
VW made some that were clear. They are identical bar the colour. If your car has no amber front or rear why would you want it on the wings? The period correct argument is not consistent.

They left the factory with amber sides. I prefer the factory look.

I like little quirks like the 2WD having had different indicators and badge colour to the 4WD. Those things were subtle differentiators added by the factory and so I like them to remain.

Generally speaking the car looks right as it came new to my eye. Mods are a matter of taste, but few will argue a standard looking car looks anything but good.

We're all lunatics let's be honest :grin:

Thanks, good to have the correct information. Matters less to me now I know whichever units are period correct even if not model specific. Might save some money too :thumbs:

It has taken me forever to order these, such a small detail but one I couldn't quite decide on.

There seems to have been a movement back towards 'ambers' on 986 and 996 cars and to be honest I just don't get it. I also quite like the look of the clear lights, especially so on a silver car. The plastic does however clash with the glass fog lamps. And I think I prefer the look of the back of the car with the red lights and reflector framed by the orange. And as mentioned up the thread they are selectively period correct to the rear wheel drive 993s.

Already got new fog lenses waiting to go on. And have ordered a new centre reflector so all the new plastics match. Hopefully I won't change my mind as it wasn't a cheap morning. :grin:

Looking at these helped me make my choice:
5D4_5068b.jpg

5D4_5063b.jpg

5D4_5065a.jpg

https://hexagonclassics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12
/5D4_5060a.jpg
porsche-911-993-c2s-tiptronic-304986925-1.jpg

porsche-911-993-c2s-tiptronic-304986925-2.jpg

porsche-911-993-c2s-tiptronic-304986925-3.jpg

porsche-911-993-c2s-tiptronic-304986925-4.jpg

porsche-911-993-c2s-tiptronic-304986925-5.jpg

porsche-911-993-c2s-tiptronic-304986925-6.jpg

porsche-911-993-c2s-tiptronic-304986925-8.jpg

porsche-911-993-c2s-tiptronic-304986925-9.jpg

porsche-911-993-c2s-tiptronic-304986925-10.jpg

porsche-911-993-c2s-tiptronic-304986925-11.jpg

Do I get a prize for spotting the purist faux pas on the Hexagon C2S? Big reds on a non turbo/4s :roll: ...or was that a factory option?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back