Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Topgear Back Boxes

willy

Hi All

My back boxes are on their last weld. The next time they blow, I'm in the market for replacements.

Having read Alex's tale of the service from Dansk, anyone with experience of the £450 option from Topgear?

I've got some of them, I think I paid £400 for them, had about a year or so.

Very pleased with them, went for the quieter option and they're exactly what I was after - still some burble but not too OTT for town use. Also managed to fit myself on the driveway without problems.

Downsides? My tail pipes were a pain to fit, and even now aren't perfectly lined up, however it's minor enough for me not to be too bothered.

Mr Scruff said:
I've got some of them, I think I paid £400 for them, had about a year or so.

Very pleased with them, went for the quieter option and they're exactly what I was after - still some burble but not too OTT for town use. Also managed to fit myself on the driveway without problems.

Downsides? My tail pipes were a pain to fit, and even now aren't perfectly lined up, however it's minor enough for me not to be too bothered.

Thanks for that - good to hear :)

I've had the 'aggressive' sports silencers fitted for over a year now, possibly a bit loud for some but I think they sound great, good quality and very good value for money, especially if you can bag a good discount, as Mr Scruff said the tailpipe flange is slightly different to the o.e so aligning the tailpipes takes a little more work but nothing major.

I'm very happy with them :thumb:

I've got the louder version fitted to mine, great value at £400 (just phone/email to haggle) and seem like a quality bit of kit, buy some marine grade stainless steel bolts when fitting. Sounds great, not too loud in my opinion at low revs but with a nice bark when you rev it. No pops or crackles with standard CATs.

Mine has a slight increase in cabin boom between 2000-3000rpm in 6th gear at motorway cruising speeds but the hi-fi masks it or I just hold onto 5th for a bit longer if I have to sit at 65-70mph for a prolonged period.

I'd recommend them as I love mine, I wouldn't bother with the valvetronic versions as I can't ever imagine turning them to quiet as they are not that loud.

i have the valved topgear units on mine with standard cats - doesn't seem to drone at all quiet or loud. Quiet is quite a bit louder than standard boxes and loud is ..... well one of my work colleagues described it as being the angriest car he's heard :D

the quality of the boxes is very good - had them a year or so and the guys at top gear in Bridport are great to deal with.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'm not after anything fancy - just replacements that won't cause me concern.

Will get in touch with them to see what they can do for me.

:thumb:

Willy, when you call Topgear speak to Alex he's the sales Director, tell him your from the 911uk forum and he should hopefully offer you 10% discount. they are very good quality ,great sound and a great company to deal with . they come with a lifetime you own the car warranty. I have the valvetronic version but hardly ever turn them off also have their 200 call big bore cats which add a nice boost of BHP and sound. have a look at their made to fit perfectly twin tips in stainless , carbon, or burnt titanium finishes. and last point they can offer 6 or 10 month finance to take the pain out of buying the exhaust.

Hope that helps ,keep us posted

Phil 997 said:
Willy, when you call Topgear speak to Alex he's the sales Director, tell him your from the 911uk forum and he should hopefully offer you 10% discount. they are very good quality ,great sound and a great company to deal with . they come with a lifetime you own the car warranty. I have the valvetronic version but hardly ever turn them off also have their 200 call big bore cats which add a nice boost of BHP and sound. have a look at their made to fit perfectly twin tips in stainless , carbon, or burnt titanium finishes. and last point they can offer 6 or 10 month finance to take the pain out of buying the exhaust.

Thanks Phil. From Alex Yates' post, I can see that Topgear are decent chaps.

I've been trying to contact Alex (Topgear) this week but he's a hard man to pin down. I'll update when I have something of worth to add.

Don't be put off trying to contact Alex. He's been in touch with me a couple of times and is running at full throttle so very busy. When he does have chance to make contact he doesn't fail to please.

:thumb:

willy said:
Phil 997 said:

Thanks Phil. From Alex Yates' post, I can see that Topgear are decent chaps.

I've been trying to contact Alex (Topgear) this week but he's a hard man to pin down. I'll update when I have something of worth to add.

Willy, He's been at a trade show this week, as I emailed him about a possible group buy for forum members which he is considering and looking into what they could do. As soon as I know something I will Post a thread , I dont need them as I already have the valvetronic ones, but on Alex's thread the question was asked so I passed the question on to Topgear . It would need someone to lead the group buy that wants some, if they agree to one :thumb: :thumb:

I have the mild ones on mine at the minute, had to fit them for a European roadtrip last year and they were great, not too boomy on the motorways, but still a nice little sound to remind you that you're in something a little special. I second the comment on the fiddly tailpipe fitting, I used the two piece clamps that came with the boxes, don't know if the standard one piece clamps would be better.

They will be up for sale as soon as I've fixed my PSE, so maybe I will have them off the car when you need a pair.

I'd be potentially interested trig (if I'm not stepping on toes)

My stock ones are still fine at the moment so no rush

toohey said:
i have the valved topgear units on mine with standard cats - doesn't seem to drone at all quiet or loud. Quiet is quite a bit louder than standard boxes and loud is ..... well one of my work colleagues described it as being the angriest car he's heard :D

the quality of the boxes is very good - had them a year or so and the guys at top gear in Bridport are great to deal with.

What he said.. Fantastic boxes and noise !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back