Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

X51 on a 997 - How can you tell?

wilfinch

I'm looking for a 997 in the U.K. probably a Mk1 with an X51 power kit installed either from factory or a Porsche dealer. How can I tell if it's genuine? Is there a plate on the engine? An option X51 on the options list ID sticker or a certificate? Does anyone have one that could share a photo so I'd know what to look for?

central oil rad under front number plate and carbon air box are the visable ones but im sure it will be in the vin number too but not sure wot to look for ,or get vin number and call reading to confirm

It should be on the cars options list and cost about £10K here in the UK I think.

Attachments

• 997s_options_162.jpg
    997s_options_162.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 5,660
apollokre1d said:
It should be on the cars options list and cost about £10K here in the UK I think.
Thanks for that. So this would mean it appears on the sticker? Does anyone have one showing it?

1largehouse said:
central oil rad under front number plate and carbon air box are the visable ones but im sure it will be in the vin number too but not sure wot to look for ,or get vin number and call reading to confirm

Third centre rad (which is on the normal water coolant circuit, not oil), is fitted to Tips and is also easily retrofittable, so not a definitive clue.

Carbon air filter is a good call, if you can get in the engine bay (although not a feature on X51 equipped GTS)

The build spec (unless GTS or other X51 standard fit models, like the 996 Anni) will show "X51" on the options list

See here for some more info:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=60293

wilfinch said:
I'm looking for a 997 in the U.K. probably a Mk1 with an X51 power kit installed either from factory or a Porsche dealer. How can I tell if it's genuine? Is there a plate on the engine? An option X51 on the options list ID sticker or a certificate? Does anyone have one that could share a photo so I'd know what to look for?

If you call Porsche GB with the VIN (or a friendly OPC), they can check and print out the build spec, even if you don't physically have the car in front of you.

VIL sticker (in service book) will list factory options (X51), any retrofit won't.

But if you dropped £15+k on an official retrofit, one would hope you'd keep the receipt!

If the car has the Certificate of Authenticity it will be listed there too

i wouldn't get too hung up on the X51 in a 997.1 as the 26BHP is negligible - hence the reason it is so rare...

seeforez said:
i wouldn't get too hung up on the X51 in a 997.1 as the 26BHP is negligible - hence the reason it is so rare...

If you could get a car with a full Hartec rebuild including their new 3.9L upgrade and the X51 option that would pretty sweet :)

If it's the same as the 996 kit, then it would also have an aluminium cast intake manifold instead of the plastic standard one. You should be able to see that looking over the top of the engine. Unlikely that anyone would bother fitting that to a non X51 I guess wheras they might add fancy air intakes later maybe. Otherwise build sheets etc as discussed.

Cheers.Ian

X51 implementation is not the same as 996.

997.1 3.8S intake manifold is cast alloy as standard (only 3.6 is plastic, and that is not valid for X51 option on 997)

The complication is basically any X51 component upgrade can be retrofitted piecemeal (ie exhaust manifolds, cf air box, centre rad etc), only the build spec is de facto.

Even the block rev limit can be raised by chip tuners.

The 996.1 3.4 had the biggest number of individual upgrades (and you'd have to super keen to crack the block for new cams, piston crowns, the in-sump baffles and externally the extra block oil line and dual chamber oil pump etc etc - see linky above for full list)

Another visual check is to look at the exhaust manifolds. The X51 manifolds merge like the 996 ones for better flow whilst the standard ones are an ugly 3 into 1. Will post a pic if I can find one. On it's own that isn't conclusive as the manifolds are a retrofit for a standard car but if you have the carbon fibre airbox as well then the signs are good. Will also post a pic of the options sticker from my handbook - you can see the X51 code there.

Attachments

• image_447.jpeg
    image_447.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 5,413
carbon airbox cover, dual air intakes (instead of just one on the left)
recent X51 upgrades also have sport exhaust option fitted so the tips are different (one large one small),
Also deeper in the engine bay you will see a cast alloy inlet manifold.
They are the visible signs when you open the engine cover.
Visible from the front is the 3rd radiator.
If originally fitted you will find X51 on the option list in the book
If retrofitted you will see a massive invoice for work done !
the x51 kit costs about £ 9000 and Porsche bill 50 hours work.
cheers
Peter

X51 from the factory..

A5AEECD4-9EF2-4FCA-8EB1-8A69475AF905_zpsxw2gi5gn.jpg

I still laugh when I see the mad options codes on that car. :lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back