Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 neglected, time for some love & maintenance

You certainly don't mind getting your sleeves rolled up IS. There are some horrific jobs on your list there and the initial list always spirals out of control 'whilst you're in there'.
Good luck with it all and keep the updates coming :thumb:

cobrars said:
I had those powerflex gearbox inserts fitted back in march, they lasted all of 200 mile before I removed them.

They did make a difference as in tightening things up a bit, but the gearbox noise I was getting at most speeds and vibrations higher up the rev range that were transferred throughout the car made them a little unbareable.

Craig

I had the same experience with these mounts. Lasted 50 miles before I could stand them no longer. Ended up giving them away to a forum member (where's your feedback on them, jezgreen911?).

I've not heard them personally, but apparently the Function First mounts are just as bad - at least on the turbos (different trans mount, tho).

For the turbos, we have the option of going to the latest 997 turbo / GT3 mount which is by far the best compromise.

Just as a warning - before you end up removing and reinstalling your trans mount several times.

How do you plan to remove your snapped bleed nipple? I had one snap when I bled my brakes last, I tried using a stud extractor which also snapped inside the nipple. I've ended up leaving it in there - thinking I'll have to get it spark eroded when I take the caliper off for a refurb

Send to Thomas at ProCalipers, he's a wizard at extracting these and for about £10 it's a no brainer. I had two snap on me and they looked very corroded in there. Even if the thread strips I think there are options for going oversize.

Afterwards fit stainless nipples, again about £10 for a full set off ebay.

:thumb:

Harv said:
Send to Thomas at ProCalipers, he's a wizard at extracting these and for about £10 it's a no brainer. I had two snap on me and they looked very corroded in there. Even if the thread strips I think there are options for going oversize.

Afterwards fit stainless nipples, again about £10 for a full set off ebay.

:thumb:

I had my rear calipers sorted by ProCalipers. Broken ones extracted, time-sert fitted. While they were there he did a full refurb with new seals and painted. Simple and a great job (not the cheapest..)

I snapped a valve too.

Ended up getting all 4 refurbed also bt Thomas at pro calipers. Took the opportunity to get them in yellow. If I'm spending £700 I want to be able to see something different!

I have an (not very) easy out snapped in mine though so I'm not sure Thomas can remove them, I'll give him a shout though, if not I'll go to my local engineering place to see what they can do. I need to get the engine back in the car before I can start work on the front end as I have the wheels on ramps to make the car a bit more stable whilst in the air.

So now I've got the engine out and on the dog shelf so just need to split the engine and box. I had one major headache that the spline headed bolt for the bellhousing has snapped and will require removing, I'm hoping there is enough stud left sticking out to allow me to weld a nut onto it if not it will require drilling out.

I've had a closer look around the AOS leak and it is definitely leaking in this area, I'm guessing the crankcase hose is leaking but from this picture it does seem to be coming from higher up.

I also found a lot of misting around the Variocam solenoid near cylinder 4 so I will need to remove the whole exhaust system now as the silencer bracket looks to be in the way.

Im sure its not high on your list of priorities but that coolant expansion tank looks like its seen better days. Only a few more heat cycles away from cracking I'd wager. Much easier to replace whilst the engine is out too.

Following with interest old bean! :thumb:

ragpicker said:
Im sure its not high on your list of priorities but that coolant expansion tank looks like its seen better days. Only a few more heat cycles away from cracking I'd wager. Much easier to replace whilst the engine is out too.

Following with interest old bean! :thumb:

It's not like there's much coolant to top up either :D .

More thread pains today, this time with the oxygen sensors, one won't budge and one has stripped its threads, I think I can just chase the thread as they look to be almost still there, looks like I'll be taking the CAT somewhere to get the other one removed, none of my tools will get it out and I heat cycled it beforehand.

I gave it a ton of heat but I don't have an oxy set so just the usual butane torch.

And a special mention to Ragpicker as I decided to remove the header tank in readiness for ordering a new one and on closer inspection there is a small split developing which I would have otherwise missed.

Part number was a little older than I expected.

Exhaust silencer on the N/S has fairly corroded seams and I think I need a new or good used one as I think it is beyond getting repaired but I will also need to re-do the bypass mod on that side if I do get a new one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back