Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Over six feet tall? Drive a manual?

Good to hear. I think I'll have to try that too. I'd fitted a smaller wheel but still find my left leg a bit cramped.

steering wheel spacer

Hi did a spacer myself that makes the steering wheel come closer to me 2"+, so I can move the seat backward and gain room for my legs.
No more knees hitting anything, better driving position at all.
It's both male/female splined.
If somebody is interested I've made a batch :D

Attachments

• c_196.jpg
    c_196.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 5,303
  • a_159.jpg
    a_159.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 5,303
  • f_234.jpg
    f_234.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 5,303
  • img_6715_188.jpg
    img_6715_188.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 5,303
I'm only 6'0" but find the standard driving position less than perfect. Like others, to help fix this have done the console delete in all 3 of my 996s. Improves the space and (in my eyes at least) makes the cabin look so much better.

In my current car I also fitted a cup wheel and its worth pointing out that as standard it is further from the column than the standard wheel, and you also get a spacer to push it out further, but for my hands this puts the wheel too far away to operate the stalks. As the wheel is smaller there is more thigh room too.

Lastly, I added fixed buckets and there is so much more space, but getting in the back is somewhat difficult!

26325334220_12a536eca7_b.jpg

Re: steering wheel spacer

GiacomoRS said:
Hi did a spacer myself that makes the steering wheel come closer to me 2"+, so I can move the seat backward and gain room for my legs.
No more knees hitting anything, better driving position at all.
It's both male/female splined.
If somebody is interested I've made a batch :D

That looks awesome, does the horn/airbag wiring need extending?

Pm me a price I'm very interested as I'm 6'3 & crammed in :sad:

@giacomors
that does look ideal i'd be be interested in 1 :thumb:

I've sold one to a US mate already, his car was tiptronic and needs to extend only one of the horn wire, like in the pic.
Airbag wires were longh enough to be re-connected without extension.

I'll pm both of you the price :)

Attachments

• img_6762_167.jpg
    img_6762_167.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 5,168
thebig25 said:
I'm only 6'0" but find the standard driving position less than perfect. Like others, to help fix this have done the console delete in all 3 of my 996s. Improves the space and (in my eyes at least) makes the cabin look so much better.

In my current car I also fitted a cup wheel and its worth pointing out that as standard it is further from the column than the standard wheel, and you also get a spacer to push it out further, but for my hands this puts the wheel too far away to operate the stalks. As the wheel is smaller there is more thigh room too.

Lastly, I added fixed buckets and there is so much more space, but getting in the back is somewhat difficult!

lovely mate - cup wheel looks fantastic. Tempted with this myself, just wondering about safety impact of no airbag. Have you got a part code for the wheel?

Dammit said:
I'd be interested in knowing the cost of this myself?

I've pm's it to the other users but it's not a secret. It's 200€ + shipment for the whole kit including extra nut, washer and rubber cover.

I'm 6ft 2 and about 16st and I found that this gave so much more room, looks a lot better as well.

20170317_172537_zps5s5zaaki.jpg

20170317_172522_zpsjsl4oiqr.jpg

Jamesyg said:
thebig25 said:

lovely mate - cup wheel looks fantastic. Tempted with this myself, just wondering about safety impact of no airbag. Have you got a part code for the wheel?

Not to hand, but I bought mine from Gert at Carnewal. It's listed on his site. If you don't want to pay the porsche tax for a 50mm porsche engraving on the wheel, then exactly the same wheel without the logo can be purchased at demon tweets for much lower cost!

Merry Christmas everyone!

I'm still working on getting the relationship between seat, pedals and wheel perfect, the wheel is now close enough to me, my thighs have room, the pedals are spot on - but I can't see the top of the dials.

So - I'm planning on getting an upholster to cut the seat-cushion down, has anyone done this and if so would you be able to shed some light on how much height can be removed from the cushion without compromising comfort?

I think you will struggle lowering it enough that way and it will be uncomfortable as theres not a lot of foam left if you cut away 3 cm .

Bucket seats have a smaller base foam and will be as low as its possible to get.

Raiseing the cluster would be problamatic and look silly .

Altering the steering wheel is the only other option i can think of and probably the cheapest .

Thanks Demort- the Porsche lower cushion (XSU I believe the code is) is -10mm, so I suspect that's likely to be what can be removed without making things rather uncomfortable.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back