Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

Love the car, such a huge amount of original, focused work. Unconvinced about the bumpers - but agree with the idea of making it distinctive.

Maybe just having the red bits restricted to the lower parts of the bumpers? Kind of like this?

28.jpg

NLW73 said:
pefect. hoping to be heading down there with the GT3.

are you doing the martini or other decals before then?

I have a few decals in production right now but nothing so lairy as Martini ;)

Marky911 said:
Very neat. :thumb:

Sounds like a bit of an endurance challenge! You're definitely winning though and cool stamp. 8)

Thanks Marky :thumbs:

BenC said:
loving all that carbon!

Is it a lot louder now inside the car with those doors?

No additional noise from the doors. I have also used the original insulation. If anything these doors will be quieter than the thin steel doors.

Avon said:
Love the car, such a huge amount of original, focused work. Unconvinced about the bumpers - but agree with the idea of making it distinctive.

Maybe just having the red bits restricted to the lower parts of the bumpers? Kind of like this?

Thanks Avon :thumb:
Great idea, not sure the Carrera bumpers lend themselves naturally to being painted in this way.
If you see the car in the flesh it does look much better than the pictures I have taken and I had now also designed a logo and others factors are based on the current paint scheme. So I have moved on to other areas for now. Nothing to say I wont come back to this at another time perhaps but for now I am happy :thumb:

Hi Richie, loving the door cards and all the rest (still unsure on the bumper lines though :wink: ). But as ever I'm in awe of the quality and skill. See you in a few weeks :thumb:

ELA,
Great work, as usual.
Just wondering what were the final corner loads for the car?
And how much did the loading shift front/rear?
Thanks.

New997buyer said:
Hi Richie, loving the door cards and all the rest (still unsure on the bumper lines though :wink: ). But as ever I'm in awe of the quality and skill. See you in a few weeks :thumb:

Sorry Paul, just read this, shame we didn't get a chance to have a good chat last week. Would also have loved to have gone for a run ;) next time maybe. As ever thank you for your thoughts :)

terra said:
ELA,
Great work, as usual.
Just wondering what were the final corner loads for the car?
And how much did the loading shift front/rear?
Thanks.

Hi Terra, I looked into buying some corner weight scales the other day but just can't justify the cost just yet. I still have a few bits I'm waiting on (brakes and wing mirrors). Once these are fitted I'll try and get to a weighbridge.
Regarding the weight distribution, I'm hoping for a little more forward bias with the 50kg removed from behind the rear axle and the additional rake angle.
I expect the car to come in around 1090kg dry (1120kg wet). And hopefully a few percent more neutral weight distribution. I think they come in 39:61 stock so hopefully something like 43:57 can be achieved. I could calculate but I am on duty the weekend so getting all the weights and moments worked out is not something I plan on doing just now :grin:

Ok thanks for that ELA.
The question actually came about due to some calcs I already did on your mods.

I'd read that the 911 'front end bobbing' was noticeably less on a 996 C4 compared to a C2. This was attributed to the extra load of the awd set-up aft of the rear axle. It raised questions if your mods could achieve a similar shift and improvement in stability...

Doing a (very) rough back of envelope calc on the major items you modified/eliminated indicated about 2.5% shift forward (using 'before weight' of 1380kg and the same 39:61 you mentioned).

But in calculating the moments I could only guess-timate the distances of the items to rear axle centre, so the shift could be more/less.

It will be interesting to see real world results. Good luck with the rest of it.

Mirrors finally ready and have been shipped out today :D

Terra I have nothing scientific to verify the CofG or Weight distribution just yet but I did some high speed testing last week (multiple 150mph runs upto 181mph) and the front end, upto say 165 seemed quite stable. from 165-180 it was light but how this compares to stock I can't remember and also at this speed on public roads (legally over here), the concentration levels are perhaps skewing your ability to focus as intently as you would like into just this one area.

I've had my GT3 body kitted 996.1 up to 154mph and the stability at that speed was good. I'm totally convinced the stability was due to the wing. I really could feel it working above about 120mph.

Any more rake than stock should help stability because of the relatively flat floor the car has. (I'm not talking any serious downforce here, just a reduction in turbulence under the car that would cause lift).

A proper splitter would make a big difference at high speed but I guess it would be outside the aesthetic that is trying to be acheived on this car. I don't have the little front lip on mine that goes under the bumper chin as I know they get smashed off all the time, however, perhaps one of these might be subtle enough and settle the nose down at autobahn speeds?

Nose-down rake also improves the angle of attack of the whole car and the wings, as well as because of the floor pan.

Hi ELA,
Love your thread and your project! And I was happy to see the GT3 still in the garage in the pics from several weeks ago. I can imagine that the wife is unhappy. I am up to 10 cars total ( :eek: ) which makes my wife
rollingpin.gif
occasionally...

ELA said:
...I looked into buying some corner weight scales the other day but just can't justify the cost just yet...
I do my own alignments using the smart strings method, and I have a hard time justifying corner scales as well. Just in case you did not see it and are interested, there is one seller in the US offering scales at $690 on Amazon and ebay, but there are also numerous people using less expensive scales and beams to distribute the load. Even Jack Olson couldn't jsutify the cost and is using bathroom scales :lol:

I do not have enough time to play with this in the coming months, but I hope to be able to try a 2:1 beam similar in construction to those below and these scales next winter (insert "ebay.de" if the link doesn't work).
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/638137-diy-corner-balancing-scales.html
542997d1307594396-diy-corner-balancing-scales-sam_0959.jpg

Sorry guys, been flat out and to be honest, I underestimated just how much time all the set-up and testing phases would take. I must have removed and adjusted the suspension 6 times now since the last Geo. Also had a few unexpected issues crop up that are causing a headache right now:

- Gearbox rebuild.
- Possible engine drop to sort out a noise that so far I have been unable to diagnose.
- Many others...

stevemfr said:
Hi ELA,
Love your thread and your project! And I was happy to see the GT3 still in the garage in the pics from several weeks ago. I can imagine that the wife is unhappy. I am up to 10 cars total ( :eek: ) which makes my wife
rollingpin.gif
occasionally...

ELA said:
...I looked into buying some corner weight scales the other day but just can't justify the cost just yet...
I do my own alignments using the smart strings method, and I have a hard time justifying corner scales as well. Just in case you did not see it and are interested, there is one seller in the US offering scales at $690 on Amazon and ebay, but there are also numerous people using less expensive scales and beams to distribute the load. Even Jack Olson couldn't jsutify the cost and is using bathroom scales :lol:

I do not have enough time to play with this in the coming months, but I hope to be able to try a 2:1 beam similar in construction to those below and these scales next winter (insert "ebay.de" if the link doesn't work).
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/638137-diy-corner-balancing-scales.html
542997d1307594396-diy-corner-balancing-scales-sam_0959.jpg

Many thanks for this post Steve :thumb:
I do still have the 997 but 10 cars is another level :grin: that'll take up some serious space.
I did look into those vet or industrial scales but they only went up to 300kg; no problem for the front axle but 400kg would be needed for the rear for a 911. With all the issues I have on the go right now though, I will have to come back to the scales another time.

ELA said:
I did look into those vet or industrial scales but they only went up to 300kg; no problem for the front axle but 400kg would be needed for the rear for a 911. With all the issues I have on the go right now though, I will have to come back to the scales another time.

That's what the 2:1 beams are for: you make 600kg scales out of the 300kg scales. If I get to this sooner than you, I'll let you know.

It does sound like you have your hands full - sorry to hear. Gearbox repair is actually one of the few areas where I think DIY is not always the best solution (assuming the inclination is given). There are many items in a rebuild where experience plays a role. It starts with inspecting the components on teardown so that you don't reuse worn components and goes to being able to reassemble without having all the expensive factory tools. That said, with enough preparation and diligence... It's not rocket science. Unfortunately almost all DIY rebuild threads I've seen are GT3/turbo transmissions.

Edit: I bookmarked this a while back and forgot about it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yie0ew0cb774fe/2002BoxsterSTransmissionRebuildDecember2011Revision3.pdf

Somewhat superficial, but still...

^Many thanks once again Steve ;)

About time for an update. I almost had to cancel the 'Simple Porsche' trip due to a gearbox issue, but I have just this minute fitted it so will be making my way over to the UK tomorrow. Whilst the gearbox was being completely overhauled I also decided to try a custom made trick diff with dual ramp angles (40/60) and a fairly light pre-load of 25lbft. Hopefully it will still retain some road manners. A few pics during the rebuild and re-fit:

Nice one ELA.

As usual, no messing about with half measures!

Is the diff a GT Guard item or something sourced in Das Vaterland? Judging by the signs in the backround of the pics, the gearbox was built locally as well?

Look forward to your feedback of the on road characteristics. I'm thinking of a GT Guard rebuild kit for my standard GKN LSD, ($1800 plus postage and taxes) or go with the Wavetrac Torque sensing type. The advantage of the proper LSD is that it works during braking. But is that what you need or want for road use......??

Very interested to hear your thoughts,

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back