Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Some worrying news...

OK PGR, Ime not taking the p-- what ime saying is it makes good write ups but if ive offended u then so be it, especially when i offered u help and advice if needed. So no more comments from me apart from , is it worth being part of this FORUM . :x

nant said:
OK PGR, Ime not taking the p-- what ime saying is it makes good write ups but if ive offended u then so be it, especially when i offered u help and advice if needed. So no more comments from me apart from , is it worth being part of this FORUM . :x

For real? Time and a place!

WHY ARE WE ALL SHOUTING :D

I can understand OP's response. He clearly agreed that it probably makes good reading but not great for him or anyone else that has been faced with this scenario.

No beef per se

I never had any intentions 911TOM to upset anyone. Been there done that, as happened to me several times. :shutup: :coat: :porsche:

nant said:
I never had any intentions 911TOM to upset anyone. Been there done that, as happened to me several times. :shutup: :coat: :porsche:

In that case I apologise for jumping the gun there :friends:

Update: A bit of a long story, but it seems that the debris found in the oil filter housing is legacy of a failed or partially failed IMS bearing that was replaced in 2012. Following this failure, the debris got into the cam chain tensioner between the chain and the plastic tensioner guide – the action of the chain passing over the guide with the debris sandwiched between them has caused the guide to break up, which has resulted in the tensioner being eaten away by the chain.

The damage seems to be fairly minimal; crank bearings, pistons and liners are fine - but as the engine is apart i've decided to go for a fairly extensive rebuild at Hartech (belt and braces and all that :) )

Sounds like a wise precaution, given you've said its a keeper.
How long will you be without the car and what upgrades are you planning?

Ouch! Nightmare PGR!
At least you have the funds there for a rebuild. Good position to be in.
If mine ever fails in a major way, it's going the journey.

You'll be able to relax once it's back though. :thumb:

Palladium said:
mines 35 years old and going like a train, never been opened. tiny little oil drip, so they knew exactly how to make them, but chose not to.

I've had 3 air cooled 911's and all of them went belly up - Probably because I used them every day.

Good riddence I say, long live the kettle!

jonno_ said:
Sounds like a wise precaution, given you've said its a keeper.
How long will you be without the car and what upgrades are you planning?

The car should be ready around the second week of June. A 3.7 conversion would've been nice, but funds wouldn't allow, plus Hartech haven't released their 3.7 conversion as yet. I'll probably get some new manifolds and 200 cell cats. It already has the X50 style baffled sump, LTT and GT3 gearshift.

Marky911 said:
Ouch! Nightmare PGR!
At least you have the funds there for a rebuild. Good position to be in.
If mine ever fails in a major way, it's going the journey.

You'll be able to relax once it's back though. :thumb:

Indeed, thanks Marky :thumb: I'll be on bread and water for the next year ;)

....a "blessing" in disguise. Had the chain/tensioner let go at high rpm your pockets would need to have been much deeper.

Absolutely the right thing to do if your 100% keeping it as you would only get paranoid each time you took it out and what fun would there be in that.

For years the advice has always been to change the oil and filter every 6k or every 6 months as it can significantly extent the life of the IMS/bearing.....but few do.

You can buy the filter, o ring and washer + quality oil and get your local garage to do it for 30 mins labour....89-100 quid all in.

wizard993 said:
....a "blessing" in disguise. Had the chain/tensioner let go at high rpm your pockets would need to have been much deeper.

Indeed. Had I not had the sump fitted, I would've been none the wiser, and with a trip to the Nurburgring planned in June, it could've been catastrophic...

What do Porsche charge for a new 996 engine these days?

I do mine every year which works out at a change every 3k miles. I still get a nagging feeling that I should do it more frequently though.

I'm planning on popping in a 997 gearbox soon, and whilst the engine & box are out of the car I think I'm going to replace my chain & tensioners as a precautionary measure. A recent chat with Baz at Hartech confirmed that this would be appropriate at my current mileage.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back