Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Service interval for low mileage

Leosayer

I've have my car serviced every 12 months but is this really necessary given that I only do 3,000 miles a year?

What about every 18 months instead?

Fair point but got to worth an oil change every 12 months. The oil is still 12 months old even if the car's only done a few thousand miles using it.

Should be every 12 months and if you are not driving it during the winter and it is laid up, then your service should be when it comes out of hibernation.

Whilst I don't know the condition of mileage of your 993, what I would say is that if you were selling at some point in the future, you will get marked down if you have not followed the schedule.

Ken

Millions of years in the making only to go off after 12 month sitting in a sump.

Save the planet man :thumbs:

Can't imagine oil going off that quickly on a low mileage car? From the 997.2 and 987.2 cars the intervals have been 2-years.

What about short servicing it if you are not covering mileage and maybe doing the major service every 3-years instead of two with the minor service for the two in between? From memory RGA in Vauxhall do something like that to cars that have not traveled far over 12-months?

Asked my local OPC for a 48k service price today and they came back with £1,681.50 :grin:

This drives me nuts too as my car has on some years done about 500 miles between oil changes.

There's no way it's necessary and it's certainly questionably beneficial. Alas unless we get the whole of the 993 brethren to agree, we're all stuck with it for fear of harming the provenance :frustrated:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for maintenance when required. This just seems a little OTT really.

3,000 miles per year? I've only done 3,000 since I bought it three years (and three services) ago...

:oops:

996ttalot said:
Whilst I don't know the condition of mileage of your 993, what I would say is that if you were selling at some point in the future, you will get marked down if you have not followed the schedule.

I doubt I'd be paying top dough for an example that has more than a 12 month service gap :roll:

LOL Zingers ....... I doubt if you would be wanting to pay "top dough" for one that had been religiously serviced all it's life and came with a folder of receipts several inches thick of all receipts and bills ...... old MOTs ...... original bill of sale and all petrol receipts from day one ....... :floor:

gunner said:
3,000 miles per year? I've only done 3,000 since I bought it three years (and three services) ago...

I've almost done 9,000 so far and I still not had the car 12-months. France twice, Alps, Monaco, Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland, Wales, North Coast 500 in Scotland. No point in spending so much on something and not using it. :)

If your car is having low mileage between the years you can use common sense and replace the Oil and filter, and change the pollen and air filter less frequently. Oil is pretty cheap (even 11 litres of Mobil 1's finest) in the grand scheme of running a car.

Price not so much the issue for me, though of course also a consideration; More the inconvenience and waste.

tyinsky said:
gunner said:

I've almost done 9,000 so far and I still not had the car 12-months. France twice, Alps, Monaco, Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland, Wales, North Coast 500 in Scotland. No point in spending so much on something and not using it. :)

With those trips I'm guessing you don't have 3 young kids...

Lack of use is no reflection of desire not to use it, just lack of time. It's definitely no 'garage queen'!

gunner said:
tyinsky said:
gunner said:

With those trips I'm guessing you don't have 3 young kids...

Lack of use is no reflection of desire not to use it, just lack of time. It's definitely no 'garage queen'!

Even surprised me how many I've managed. The biggest of all the trips I did on business – London to Valbonne near Nice. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back