Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 7
997 : 2004- 66
996 : 1997-2005 37
993 : 1993-1998 7
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 12
Cayman : 2005- 19
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 5
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

RodBod

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: HELP ! Flat Battery on 993 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Needs some advice please, I'll try to be "brief" and explain:

My 993's battery needs to be changed as I haven't driven the car daily for the last six months as I used to do; my garage says it's pretty low in terms of charge and I was supposed to bringh it in this week but they had a last minute issue.

I did purchase several months ago a "DBPOWER 600A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter Battery Booster" which didn't seem to work very well.
Bottom line, it was faulty and they sent me another one which manage to start my car very smoothly yesterday (but not driving it afterwards) and again today (clearly the battery isn't holding well...).

I drove the car for 20', then went shopping and when I came back to the parking, the car wouldn't start... I used the device again (still charged at 97%) but this time no luck... Tried again, nothing...
Went to get my other car to jump start that way, same result: nada....

I did see/hear sparks on the battery's negative terminal thinking that juice was going through but no success.
Lights in the car are on but nothing happening at ignition.

I just want to get my car to the garage on Monday and need to start it to get it there...
Is there anything I should do/try differently to manage to start it?! Could it help to clean the terminals?

Thank you very much for your advice!

Thumb

Mike-M
Monza

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP ! Flat Battery on 993 Reply with quote

RodBod wrote:
Hi everyone,

Needs some advice please, I'll try to be "brief" and explain:

My 993's battery needs to be changed as I haven't driven the car daily for the last six months as I used to do; my garage says it's pretty low in terms of charge and I was supposed to bringh it in this week but they had a last minute issue.

I did purchase several months ago a "DBPOWER 600A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter Battery Booster" which didn't seem to work very well.
Bottom line, it was faulty and they sent me another one which manage to start my car very smoothly yesterday (but not driving it afterwards) and again today (clearly the battery isn't holding well...).

I drove the car for 20', then went shopping and when I came back to the parking, the car wouldn't start... I used the device again (still charged at 97%) but this time no luck... Tried again, nothing...
Went to get my other car to jump start that way, same result: nada....

I did see/hear sparks on the battery's negative terminal thinking that juice was going through but no success.
Lights in the car are on but nothing happening at ignition.

I just want to get my car to the garage on Monday and need to start it to get it there...
Is there anything I should do/try differently to manage to start it?! Could it help to clean the terminals?

Thank you very much for your advice!

Can you not order a battery for delivery to your home and replace it yourself? Thats what I did when mine died with no warning. Sorry if Im missing something here.

Thumb

RodBod

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

I'll admit I'm not a "mechanic" so preferred to have my garage do it but I assume it's pretty straightforward to replace...?

I wouldn't know which one to order tbh and when would I receive it... It's on a parking's supermarket so I need to clear it asap! Smile

Demort
Sepang

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you connect the leads from another car and leave it running for a while then it would put charge into your car battery .. ie connect and leave for 5 mins then try to start it .

I have a feeling it might be something like an earth lead fault , if you can try to connect the jump leads to the body (earth lead body conection perhaps ) .

For what you have described then the battery would have to be totally dead and it would act like a sink for the jump power and not enough would get to the starter .

Some thing im not going to recomend but if i was in the desert i would remove the battery and conect the jump pack to the leads .. but neither of us are in the desert .

7pm - 9pm

Mike-M
Monza

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodBod wrote:
Thanks Mike.

I'll admit I'm not a "mechanic" so preferred to have my garage do it but I assume it's pretty straightforward to replace...?

I wouldn't know which one to order tbh and when would I receive it... It's on a parking's supermarket so I need to clear it asap! Smile

I bought a Bosch Silver 096 (S5008) for £80 delivered that took a few days, the weekend will be your problem. Try Eurocarparts you may have a local one where you can collect. They are showing a Bosch S3 for £101 if you use the Code WEEKEND55. A local motorist discount store should also be able to help you out. Connect +ve terminal 1st then -ve.

RodBod

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort wrote:
If you connect the leads from another car and leave it running for a while then it would put charge into your car battery .. ie connect and leave for 5 mins then try to start it .

I have a feeling it might be something like an earth lead fault , if you can try to connect the jump leads to the body (earth lead body conection perhaps ) .

For what you have described then the battery would have to be totally dead and it would act like a sink for the jump power and not enough would get to the starter .

Some thing im not going to recomend but if i was in the desert i would remove the battery and conect the jump pack to the leads .. but neither of us are in the desert .

Ha! Good one Demort...
Thank you, I tried again this morning, no luck, I think I need to change the battery...
Thanks for your answer, cheers!

RodBod

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-M wrote:
RodBod wrote:
Thanks Mike.

I bought a Bosch Silver 096 (S5008) for £80 delivered that took a few days, the weekend will be your problem. Try Eurocarparts you may have a local one where you can collect. They are showing a Bosch S3 for £101 if you use the Code WEEKEND55. A local motorist discount store should also be able to help you out. Connect +ve terminal 1st then -ve.

Thank you for all the details Mike!
I'll look it up. Tried again this morning and no luck... need to get that battery...
Cheers

RodBod

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodBod wrote:
Mike-M wrote:
RodBod wrote:
Thanks Mike.

I'll look it up. Tried again this morning and no luck... need to get that battery...
Cheers

Found a Euro Car Parts 3 miles from where I live, bought, installed it and starts!
You were right, pretty straightforward...

Thanks again!

Mike-M
Monza

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodBod wrote:
RodBod wrote:
Mike-M wrote:
RodBod wrote:
Thanks Mike.

Cheers

Found a Euro Car Parts 3 miles from where I live, bought, installed it and starts!
You were right, pretty straightforward...

Thanks again!

Job well done RobBod, probably saved yourself a few £ and got a little satisfaction in the process. Main thing, your up and running again Thumb

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: