Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP ! Flat Battery on 993

RodBod

Hi everyone,

Needs some advice please, I'll try to be "brief" and explain:

My 993's battery needs to be changed as I haven't driven the car daily for the last six months as I used to do; my garage says it's pretty low in terms of charge and I was supposed to bringh it in this week but they had a last minute issue.

I did purchase several months ago a "DBPOWER 600A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter Battery Booster" which didn't seem to work very well.
Bottom line, it was faulty and they sent me another one which manage to start my car very smoothly yesterday (but not driving it afterwards) and again today (clearly the battery isn't holding well...).

I drove the car for 20', then went shopping and when I came back to the parking, the car wouldn't start... I used the device again (still charged at 97%) but this time no luck... Tried again, nothing...
Went to get my other car to jump start that way, same result: nada....

I did see/hear sparks on the battery's negative terminal thinking that juice was going through but no success.
Lights in the car are on but nothing happening at ignition.

I just want to get my car to the garage on Monday and need to start it to get it there...
Is there anything I should do/try differently to manage to start it?! Could it help to clean the terminals?

Thank you very much for your advice!

:thumb:

RodBod said:
Hi everyone,

Needs some advice please, I'll try to be "brief" and explain:

My 993's battery needs to be changed as I haven't driven the car daily for the last six months as I used to do; my garage says it's pretty low in terms of charge and I was supposed to bringh it in this week but they had a last minute issue.

I did purchase several months ago a "DBPOWER 600A Peak 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter Battery Booster" which didn't seem to work very well.
Bottom line, it was faulty and they sent me another one which manage to start my car very smoothly yesterday (but not driving it afterwards) and again today (clearly the battery isn't holding well...).

I drove the car for 20', then went shopping and when I came back to the parking, the car wouldn't start... I used the device again (still charged at 97%) but this time no luck... Tried again, nothing...
Went to get my other car to jump start that way, same result: nada....

I did see/hear sparks on the battery's negative terminal thinking that juice was going through but no success.
Lights in the car are on but nothing happening at ignition.

I just want to get my car to the garage on Monday and need to start it to get it there...
Is there anything I should do/try differently to manage to start it?! Could it help to clean the terminals?

Thank you very much for your advice!

Can you not order a battery for delivery to your home and replace it yourself? Thats what I did when mine died with no warning. Sorry if Im missing something here.

:thumb:

Thanks Mike.

I'll admit I'm not a "mechanic" so preferred to have my garage do it but I assume it's pretty straightforward to replace...?

I wouldn't know which one to order tbh and when would I receive it... It's on a parking's supermarket so I need to clear it asap! :)

If you connect the leads from another car and leave it running for a while then it would put charge into your car battery .. ie connect and leave for 5 mins then try to start it .

I have a feeling it might be something like an earth lead fault , if you can try to connect the jump leads to the body (earth lead body conection perhaps ) .

For what you have described then the battery would have to be totally dead and it would act like a sink for the jump power and not enough would get to the starter .

Some thing im not going to recomend but if i was in the desert i would remove the battery and conect the jump pack to the leads .. but neither of us are in the desert .

RodBod said:
Thanks Mike.

I'll admit I'm not a "mechanic" so preferred to have my garage do it but I assume it's pretty straightforward to replace...?

I wouldn't know which one to order tbh and when would I receive it... It's on a parking's supermarket so I need to clear it asap! :)

I bought a Bosch Silver 096 (S5008) for £80 delivered that took a few days, the weekend will be your problem. Try Eurocarparts you may have a local one where you can collect. They are showing a Bosch S3 for £101 if you use the Code WEEKEND55. A local motorist discount store should also be able to help you out. Connect +ve terminal 1st then -ve.

Demort said:
If you connect the leads from another car and leave it running for a while then it would put charge into your car battery .. ie connect and leave for 5 mins then try to start it .

I have a feeling it might be something like an earth lead fault , if you can try to connect the jump leads to the body (earth lead body conection perhaps ) .

For what you have described then the battery would have to be totally dead and it would act like a sink for the jump power and not enough would get to the starter .

Some thing im not going to recomend but if i was in the desert i would remove the battery and conect the jump pack to the leads .. but neither of us are in the desert .

Ha! Good one Demort...
Thank you, I tried again this morning, no luck, I think I need to change the battery...
Thanks for your answer, cheers!

Mike-M said:
RodBod said:
Thanks Mike.

I bought a Bosch Silver 096 (S5008) for £80 delivered that took a few days, the weekend will be your problem. Try Eurocarparts you may have a local one where you can collect. They are showing a Bosch S3 for £101 if you use the Code WEEKEND55. A local motorist discount store should also be able to help you out. Connect +ve terminal 1st then -ve.

Thank you for all the details Mike!
I'll look it up. Tried again this morning and no luck... need to get that battery...
Cheers

RodBod said:
Mike-M said:
RodBod said:
Thanks Mike.

I'll look it up. Tried again this morning and no luck... need to get that battery...
Cheers

Found a Euro Car Parts 3 miles from where I live, bought, installed it and starts!
You were right, pretty straightforward...

Thanks again!

RodBod said:
RodBod said:
Mike-M said:
RodBod said:
Thanks Mike.

Cheers

Found a Euro Car Parts 3 miles from where I live, bought, installed it and starts!
You were right, pretty straightforward...

Thanks again!

Job well done RobBod, probably saved yourself a few £ and got a little satisfaction in the process. Main thing, your up and running again :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back