Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ARB and Drop Links Overhaul-Capper leaning to Mech on aC4S

C4pperS

Trainee
Hi Guys,

I've read a lot over the years about cars and find the mechanics of it all very interesting, however I never dared dive in and do things myself. I'm pretty good at understanding the mechanics of things when explained to me as I'm an Engineer but as said never really dived in.... Until now.

Such is the passion for my Porker I really want to tackle some jobs myself and learn to understand my car.

So to the Subject...

I have a Knocking and occasional squeaking coming from the front end over bumps which I'm thinking is ARB/Drop Link related?!
So I reckon I'm going to tackle the Drop links and ARB Bushes myself as I've had the wheels off and it doesn't look too hard. The car is an 04 and has covered 84k so they are probably due to be done anyway.
I plan to lower the car about 30mm over the summer going down the coil over route and replacing the Strut Top Mounts whilst I'm there as the Strut Top mounts were an advisory last summer.

So my question is do I fit adjustable Drop Links or just re fit standard items?
A bit of reading leads me to believe that the main benefit to adjustable drop links is that you can basically tune your ARB, which might be handy when I come to lower the car in the near future I'm guessing?

The Car is for fast road use with maybe 1 track day a year thrown in. I liked the way the car handled originally so would like to replicate the original body roll and rebounds etc just without the squeaks and bangs. Turn in has felt a little less sharp as well but I'm not sure if this is related or not?

Thanks in advance guys and gals any help or advice would be much appreciated :thumb:

Definitely go for it!

I think your knocking over speed humps is more likely to be failed or failing strut top mounts (on my c4s they were in a dreadful state).

Personally I just went with OEM type drop links but the adjustable ones seem to make sense for your longer term intentions.

Keep us posted :thumb:

I just did the front droplinks on my C4S and it took me about 15 minutes a side - seriously easy job. A nice thin spanner is handy for counterholding the other side of the balljoint. Tomorrow I am doing the top mounts on the same car.

I have a very small 'rattle' noise over rough ground so I have started replacing bits as they are all original and figured it deserves a refresh. I used original Porsche droplinks and ARB bushes and I have original Porsche 997 C4S top mounts which I will fit tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back