Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ticking 996 Turbo

ger

I have a track day booked on Wednesday and am rather concerned about the car. This ticking has been evident For around 60 miles and doesn't appear or diasappear with oil or engine temperatures. It only varies from RPM.

I have had bad luck with a snapped timing chain and an IMS failure in the past (different cars) so am very anxious.

Have a listen..

https://youtu.be/sTRR7cpcxTg

Thanks

Greg

It sounds like a tappet to me but i would prefer to have it on a ramp to diagnose and as you are going to track it then i think you should get it checked out prior to that .

Agree with the above, I would not track the car until its checked out.

Noisy injector ? Or tappet would be my guess. But i am sure an expert would be first port of call

Possible Water pump failing it sounds like? ticking / tapping noise, get it looked at to be sure as i'm sure you will be.

I was going to say they all sound quite tappy but then realised it's only just appeared!

Something else I would add to the check list is a check of the exhaust and manifolds in case its blowing anywhere, any idea what condition the nuts are in on your car. There are lots out there where some of the nuts have corroded away to nothing !

Mac

Does sound tappety but then there are lots of things on all 996 and 997 that can sound like that which aren't actually that....

That is probably the most unhelpful sentence ever! I don't think we have a trackday on Wednesday but just in case we do and you are at Bedford I'm in on Wednesday, we are next door to the trackside suite (where you sign on) so feel free to pop over and knock on the workshop door, I'll have a listen for you.

Thanks for all the help everyone, it's always a concern when anew noise develops!
I was booked up at Snet tomorrow but have cancelled.

I'm putting the Turbo into my trailer in the morning and taking it down to 9e. The engine was built by the team so they know it well. Hopefully it's something minor.
I shall keep you posted.
:thumbs:

Probably the best decision.

As others say, there are a lot of things on a turbo Mezger that can make noises - they're renowned for being clattery at the best of times - and a good expert (9e would obviously rank as such) will diagnose it pretty easily.

I've currently got a tiny pinhole in my O/S header which is impossible to get a welder into (non OEM stainless manifolds) and that makes a ticking noise, but only at tickover.

Update

It was a broken exhaust tappet.
Apparently this is one of those things, fairly unlucky.

Replaced all six and converted to 2WD and GT2 clutch whilst the engine was out.

Pork hobby is expensive!

That's one hell of a 'while the engine is out' job! :floor:

I got my water pump changed :oops:

good job you didn't take it on track :eek:

still, according to my personalised copy of 'the expert guide to man maths', it suggests that the money saved from not having your engine misbehave on track can be allocated to offset against the 2WD and clutch! :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back