Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Engine problems and oil use

Glen, it was good speaking with you yesterday, reference the excessive oil usage on the Gen2
As I confirmed to you Porsche are very aware of the early Gen2 oil usage but are trying to keep it quiet. Mine was using more oil than yours is, I was covering 300/400 miles per Litre of oil, when it went into OPC Colchester for it's major in Feb, I obviously made a point of mentioning my concerns to them the day I took it in, and they said they would do there checks accordingly. (Mine was covered by the OPC warranty)
When the car was delivered back to me all they told me to do was monitor the usage over the next 1K miles?
I wasn't happy with this outcome and managed to sell my car a short while later, with the transferable warranty in place, I just hope the new owner gets a better result in the event of a potential engine claim, because as you say Glen, this kind of oil consumption isn't acceptable it's nothing short of a two stroke engine!!
Good luck Glen

300 to 400 miles per litre is shocking! There has to be a good engineering explanation for this, variable driving conditions and engine condition etc will explain variable oil usage to some degree but this level of oil usage points to an issue of some sort or a design flaw, surely :?:

It was thoroughly checked by the OPC Colchester from the Friday through to the Wednesday, and they said everything checked out okay, and asked me to monitor it over the next 1k miles, I told them I'd obviously been monitoring it since I'd bought it, this is why I asked it to be checked out? I got the impression they knew it had issues but didn't want to admit to them? Even though it had the OPC warranty. I was buying Mobil 1, 4 Ltrs per time, car wasn't smoking at all, and obviously no leaks :?

Since selling my car I have discovered Porsche were aware of my engines oil consumption, but they never mentioned this to me when I was talking to them!! :what:

differences between cars.

I do wonder if it is 'some' early Gen2's that might be a problem.

The two I read about at length on Rennlist, mine and Effys' were ALL late 08/09 Gen2s.

We know that cars have changes applied to them during the span of the model run. Not all changes are openly informed possibly to address an issue?!
Were changes made to piston liners, rings, valves or other components during its production period of the Gen2?

We know that there are differences in the amount of oil these cars use and that fact is not isolated to the Gen2's. I have read and corresponded with people that posted concerns about high oil consumption.

Taking out of the equation cars that have been abused - spanked from cold and had a seriously hard life. Also taking out those extremes of only long or short journeys what could the differences be :- Components or tolerances or luck?

Either way it is components that are not up to the task or poor production standards that allow some engines to use/lose not insignificant amounts of oil.

I must have had about 25+ cars over the years and 5 were Porsche cars. Nothing has come close by a long way to using this amount of oil not even my old well knackered Volvo with a busted piston ring.

There has been some very good advice given to which I am very grateful. As a result I will be requesting that I can see digital images of the pistons condition once checked. I know that the plugs are coming out to be examined.

Regards
Glen

That seems a crazy amount of oil to use on an engine that's supposedly working correctly.

I have never used that much oil in any of the cars I've owned I thought we were past these problems since gen2's came out but having seen one at Hartech with bore scoring and now hearing this it does make you wonder :?:

I've also been informed through an excellent source that the early Gen 2s as well as excessive oil usage also suffered with PDK issues!!

I have bought myself a BMW M4 which I have so much more confidence in :thumb:

good point

Demort said:
Ask for photos of the spark plugs , they tell us a lot about how an engine is running.

Will do, I will even leave them a compact camera and SD card so they are not able to refuse.

ta
Glen

Whoa, that's a lot of oil usage.

I noticed my gen 2 used some oil compared to other cars I've owned (all with upright engines)

I'm on about 1L per 2800 miles. Which I think is pretty reasonable. It used a lot more during winter when I was only doing short runs. It's drastically improved as the weather has got warmer and the engine is up to operating temps faster.

I'm about to embark on replacing my own plugs, so I'll share my results. If they're coked up etc.

Hope your problems are sorted soon Glen. Don't like hearing about bad Porsche ownership experiences!

Mine's a June '09 car and uses about 200-300ml between services (2 years). I do about 8,000 miles a year

This is typical of internet scare mongering. OP you should have kept your 997.1.

I've covered over 150,000 faultless miles in a 997.C2S including many track days (80 miles round trip per day on average) and never even had a leaky RMS.

Having said that your 997.2 is operating within manufacturers specification. Drive the wheels off it and stop being OCD :D

FWIW, I drove about 8000 miles in my 997.2 before I even checked the oil level. It was a bit low when I did check, but still above the min, so I added 1l which took it closer to the top. I then did another 2k miles before going for the bi-annual OPC service inc. Oil change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back