Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange Pipe ????????

-- 997 --

Barcelona
I took out me battery last night to charge and when i went back to my garage this morning to fit the battery i noticed this pipe sitting loose, it looks like a vacuum pipe but its at the front battery area, anyone knows where this pipe connects to?

Cheers

J

Attachments

• img_20170429_201513_803.jpg
    img_20170429_201513_803.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 3,825
Chris_in_the_UK said:
Looks like the battery breather?

Battery breather? Cos i have a BOSCH battery fitted i dont rememberr seeing anything connected apart from its terminals.. does it have to be fitted somewhere or just left loose?

Cheers

J

Defo battery breather and I also think it should plug in on Bosch battery - have a good,look around for a similar sized hole (or a plug to remove?).

Pretty important I believe. 997 Battery placement is such that any fumes generated by the battery during charging are drawn into the car ventilation system. That pipe fitting goes into a hole in the side of the battery at the top ( that will have a plug in on a new battery ) to vent the fumes out of the car.

Battery breather. There will be a small hole in the top edge of one/both ends of the battery normally in line with the cell sealed plugs. You fit the breather to one side and there will be a plug to blank off the opposite side hole which can be swapped around dependent on where the pipe is :thumb:

Checked earlier.... on the Bosch it is next to the +be terminal.
As demort says, there may be a plug that needs to be removed but it will fit.

Hi guys thanks very much for all feedback ,i will check tomorrow and fit the pipe as imstructed, now ..... hear this,,well read this, as i fitted the battery yesterday my son was with me so placed the batterh in its tray then asken my son to tighten the terminals whilst i was off to do something else on car, so he fitted the Negative terminal and tightened it amd then the Postitive terminal... then i heard an arc / spark sound and then a slow hissing sound and i thought what the @uck, walked around to the front and looked up at me son whos almost 6ft at the age of 16 and i asked what did you do, he accidently shorted the positive terminal on to chassis via the air condtion bleed nipple pipe, and i only recently had X2 aircond rads and a fresh regass which was stone cold, anyway i went to East London Porsche Stealers and with a discount of 10% i paid £180 for a bit of pipe, .... hows about that then for one second of mistake.... :nooo:

J

Martian said:
Always remove the negative first when removing a battery, attach negative last when installing a new battery! :D

Exactly ! As an ex car electrician its what i always do. My son has removed car batteries before but dont think in smaller confined spsces . An expensive mistake ive got to pay !!

J

He was actually very lucky , if the spanner had touched the bodywork properly it would have glowed red hot in his hands pretty dam quick .. also a spark next to a battery is bad .. ive seen batterys explode and once in a persons face .. not a pleasent memory .

Still .. leasson learned .. i blame both the leads being black .

Also .. if your an Ex auto electrician then you dont need me replying to your posts , so more time for computer gameing for me :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back