Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Light swirls and scratches

Its all about finding the time. I recall once putting the final coats of wax on my car at 2am. Mrs B not amused. I remember the look on her face when she came into the garage to see why I'd not come to bed, it would have been better if I'd been with another woman haha!

I just plan on breaking myself during the week one time and then be in dire need of a day off. With which I will detail the car in one day.

Quick update, thank you all for the comments and guidance.

Awaiting delivery of the Jet Seal and looking forward to giving it a go.

Got the fiancee's car to practice with the DA :D

After a good wash and and decon on select panels I gave a few panels a go with a blue pad and Chemical Guys VSS. Having watched a fair few tutorials on youtube I found it very easy and I am impressed with the results. I just took my time. To be fair her old car hasn't been polished in about 10 years having a lot of deep scratches and I wasn't going to jump in with a heavy cutting pad and and compound but just wanted to see what results I could get with a 1-step approach.

It was the prep that took more time than I had bargained for! That said I am now a firm convert to Bilt Hamber and used the following;

BH Auto-Foam - Wow shifts dirt!
BH Auto-Wash - 8ml in a 5 gallon bucket, great stuff and no residue
BH Auto-Wheel - First time I have used a this type of product. I didn't need much at all to turn the whole wheel purple! Used with a set of Wheel Whoolies it made light work of the alloys.
BH Korrosol - Fallout remover, more purple goodness for the bodywork!
BH Medium Clay - Great value and amazed at how easy it made moving tar.
BH Cleanser Fluid - Post polish and pre wax/sealant cleaner
BH Double Speed Wax - Goes on easy and buffs off easy. Looking forward to seeing how durable it is.

Looking forward to doing the rest of the car over the weekend.

I have a few more pads and some Menzerna polish/compounds on order for future projects but for now I think I am set in the right direction :)

Monkeynutz said:
BH Double Speed Wax - Goes on easy and buffs off easy. Looking forward to seeing how durable it is.

I did mine last August and it's still beading brilliantly even though the car sat outside all winter and was used!

The car's silver and I never got quite such a deep polish as others seem to achieve but I'm still very impressed with the wax.

Mike

Robertb said:
Its all about finding the time. I recall once putting the final coats of wax on my car at 2am. Mrs B not amused. I remember the look on her face when she came into the garage to see why I'd not come to bed, it would have been better if I'd been with another woman haha!

:floor: :floor: this made me laugh. Need to show this to my Mrs to show her I could be a lot worse. Saying that she does say my car is like another woman.

I am thinking of polishing my car with a dual action polisher. Only thing that I'm concerned about is not knowing how thick the clear coat is. My car is 16 years old and I'm sure it would have been polished in the past. Should I be concerned or do you guys think it will be fine?

e92 said:
Robertb said:

:floor: :floor: this made me laugh. Need to show this to my Mrs to show her I could be a lot worse. Saying that she does say my car is like another woman.

I am thinking of polishing my car with a dual action polisher. Only thing that I'm concerned about is not knowing how thick the clear coat is. My car is 16 years old and I'm sure it would have been polished in the past. Should I be concerned or do you guys think it will be fine?

With a DA you will be fine I believe.
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/20637-buffing-away-clear-coat.html

It's not something you will be doing every week or month. Although that link is to an old thread there are numerous highlights to 'prevention is better than cure'.

I will probably end up using mine more for sealant, glaze or waxes more than for paint correction. Correction is something I only intend to do a couple of times over the next couple/few years.

You would have to be quite careless to do damage with a DA polisher. Their action reduces the risk of burning that you have to watch when using a standard rotary.

Wetting the pads will also help keep you safe!

At the moment I use snow foam, two bucket with a wool mitt for washing, and only use Micro fiber clothes and spray wax when drying. Until now I have just used glazes and wax but I can still see tiny swirls. Like you guys I only really plan on doing the correction once. I have another car which I use as my daily. I will probably practice on that first. :thumbs:

I was in the same boat as you and just bought myself the das6 pro plus with meguiars microfibre pack from cleanyourcar.

Had a trial run on our old Audi before cracking on with the 911.

Washed with BH
Removed tar (some old turtle wax bug and tar remover works a treat)
Ironx, though it's not long since it was done so stopped after a couple old panels
Clayed
DA'd with meguiars (cutting first pass, finishing second pass) - junkman videos on YouTube are great.
Then finished with 2 coats of Finish Kare 1000P

Looks fantastic. Still one or two marks remain and I may try again some time but I'm very pleased with the results - thanks to folks like CarreraMonkey for giving me the info and confidence to have a crack at it. :thumb:

Claying is indeed some next level s*&t!

The DAS6 is so easy to use and that CG Jet Seal is brilliant!

As well as the clay being an eye opener so has the really good microfibre towels!

Very rewarding! :)

First time I used clay I was completely blown away - it's just amazing - especially first time you use it on a car that you think is clean :eek: .

I have just taken the plunge and orders the DAS-6. I have ordered a few cutting an finishing pads. I think I will just use the finishing pads for glazes, wax and sealant for now and will try polishing at a later date when I get used to the technique. I had a look at junkmans videos which are pretty informative.

Well, I won't go into detail (excuse the pun) on how to clean the car. But in my experience, the best thing you can put on it is a Gyeon Q2 MOHS coating.

I used to spend days in the garage detailing & waxing, & now after applying Q2, the car still beads after 2 years! All it needs is a top up once a year with Wet Coat.

Its a lot of work to begin with, but the results are amazing.
I cant see myself going back to waxes any time soon!

Clanky said:
Well, I won't go into detail (excuse the pun) on how to clean the car. But in my experience, the best thing you can put on it is a Gyeon Q2 MOHS coating.

I used to spend days in the garage detailing & waxing, & now after applying Q2, the car still beads after 2 years! All it needs is a top up once a year with Wet Coat.

How well does it prevent swirls?

e92 said:
Clanky said:

How well does it prevent swirls?

Great so far, as it is a harder coating than the actual paint. Defo worth the while doing!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back