Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

At what age should tyres be replaced?

jotaking

Hockenheim
Just wondering what age to replace tyres?

I have 9-year-old tyres that have done 9K and still look mint. My car has been stored in a central heated garage all it's life.

I found this advice on the AA website.

Tyres will normally wear out before they become unserviceable due to ageing.

Tyres degrade naturally through exposure to heat, sunlight (Ultraviolet/UV) and rain. The amount of damage depends on the exposure and the severity of the weather.
Damage through ageing is more common with caravans, trailers and other vehicles only used occasionally.
There are no hard and fast rules on age.

Check for signs of cracking on the sidewalls of tyres four or five years old if your car is parked outside and get them replaced if cracking is severe.

Porsche recommend 6 years max I believe :thumb:

I wouldn`t want to be hooning around with 9 year old tyres to be honest :nooo:

I usually replace mine if more than six years old and most garages will recommend the same.

Here's an exert from Michelins website for example:

How old is too old? The five year test.

After five years or more in service, your tyres should be thoroughly inspected  at least once per year. If the need arises, follow the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer regarding replacing the original equipment tyres. As a precaution, if the tyres have not been replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a tyre sidewall), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.

C.

Thanks for the info folks... :thumb:

I had noted that there was a lot of tyre noise at all speeds.

My next question....Which tyres?

My preference would be Michelin. I have seen many different types, Pilot Sport 2,3 & 4 and Cup etc..etc.

What is the difference and which would suit my road going 997 T?

TIA

jotaking said:
Thanks for the info folks... :thumb:

I had noted that there was a lot of tyre noise at all speeds.

My next question....Which tyres?

My preference would be Michelin. I have seen many different types, Pilot Sport 2,3 & 4 and Cup etc..etc.

TIA

PS2 - approved by Porsche. Probably the best of the N rated tyres (but they're all 10+ years old design now, and we've had 2 generations of tyre design since).

PS3 - Not a replacement of the PS2 but an upgrade of the Exalto. A mid-range tyre, don't use.

Pilot Super Sport - An excellent tyre, essentially the replacement for the PS2. This is what Porsche have been putting on their cars at the PEC, even though it's not N rated.

Cup / Cup 2 - Track day tyres. Lively in the wet.

PS4 - The very latest design generation. An evolution of the Pilot Super Sport rather than the PS3. Better than the Pilot Super Sport in pretty much every way, according to Michelin. Wins all the latest tests.

PS4s - The PS4 has a different name in 19" and 20" sizes - they stick an S on the end. But same plaudits apply.

Conclusion: If you don't have a Porsche warranty, then put a set of PS4s on the car, if they are made in your size. If not then go for Pilot Super Sport.
If you do have a warranty, then you're only left with PS2.

jotaking said:

TIA

Depends if you have a Porsche warranty on the car and therefore need to fit 'N' spec tyres to stay within the requirements...

If so, then for Michelin you're limited to Michelin PS2 or Cups I believe.

If not, then the PS4 is a much more modern design and better overall (I've had these fitted to my GT86 and the grip in wet and cold conditions is terrific)

There is now a PS4S tyre but I think they only come in 19" and upwards sizes and not sure if 'N' spec approved yet.

I have seen these at Costco.

These are N0 rated (My Car is in Warranty)

Seems a shame to replace my P Zero's as they still have the rubber needles on them!!

Attachments

• costco_128.jpeg
    costco_128.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 4,444
  • imageop_192.jpg
    imageop_192.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,444
Are you planning mostly track usage for the car? If so the Cup 2s are a good choice.

Otherwise you can get PS4S in those sizes, and that would be my choice if you're expecting mostly road use and aren't still under OPC warranty.

The Cup 2 is fine in the wet (unless it is an absolute monsoon) and due to the multi-compound construction they wear a lot better than you would expect with regard to longevity. What they don't like is the cold, so if you are doing anything more than pootling around when it is down in single digit (or sub zero) temperatures then an alternative set of winter wheels would be very strongly recommended.

Note that compared to even something like a SuperSport, the stiffer sidewalls of the Cup tyres will make your cars handling feel noticeably sharper. Also just to reinforce that while the Cup 2 is a fine tyre for normal road driving, the earlier Cup and Cup+ really aren't any good in the wet at all by comparison.

10 years ago the PS2 was a very satisfactory road tyre (I went through a few sets at the time and they were once the one to have), but since the Cup 2 came out the old design has well and truly had its day as far as I am concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back