Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin PS2 or PS4 for the 993?

MPS2 or MPS4 for the 993?

• PS2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PS4

• Neither!

• Total voters

ch3tman

Suzuka
We have't had a tyre thread for a while, right? :D.

Which would you go for and why? Poll is open for voting :).

MPS2
+ tried & tested
+ N-rated
+ good rim protection
- 'old' technology?
- may get phased out; fronts will outlast rears and pose a problem if/when rear PS2 become NLA

MPS4
+ latest evolution of Pilot Sport range
- not N-rated

I've recently put PS4s on my other wheels but haven't used them yet.

My decision was based on not having a Porsche warranty to worry about (so not particularly fussed by N ratings) and I'd heard that the word on the street was that the PS4 was a much more 'modern' tyre.

I can't wait to try them out. Not long now. :)

Ps4 are the dogs danglies. No need for n rating worries

Thanks guys,

Yes - tend to agree about N-ratings due to no warranty worries, but I wonder if there are Insurance implications....

Also, we should note there is the PS4 and the PS4S. The latter are pitched as the better peforming tyre but I don't think they come in sizes smaller then 19", so not really relevant to 993s (unless you're running RUF wheels?)

Haven't done a side-by-side comparison but I think the rim protection on the PS4s compares well with the PS2s.

Not the best picture but hopefully gives you some idea:

Interesting, thanks guys. I've always used PS2s just because that's what you do, but maybe a change to PS4 tyres is in order next time!

Just fitted one PS2 at the rear which was marginal for tread depth at MOT time following the other rear being replaced after a side wall puncture a couple of months ago. I have zero experience of the PS4, but I'm pretty happy with the PS2's. Bought the tyre from Camskill at £188 which I thought was a whizzo deal until SEtyres charged £25 to fit it although they did want £235 to supply and fit themselves. I would have thought £15 was sufficient to do a tyre change especially as I have a skip in my front garden at present, what with a new bathroom being installed, and I could have done the "environmental disposal" myself.

ch3tman said:
madge - that's really helpful, thank you :thumbs:.

The lip protection seems good on the PS4 - parking in and around London means kerbing is a valid concern!

Also, the PS4 appears to be slightly cheaper than the PS2, yet much newer, so perhaps this is a no brainer.

EDIT: some good feedback here too: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1286645#1286645

Thanks for posting that review link. Recently replaced my Contis for PS2s, and I don't do much mileage, so academic for me but good to know for the future.

I'm enjoying the PS2s, much better feel than the contis, so will follow with interest as others gain experience of the ps4s.

A bit academic as the PS4 is not available in 17 inch size. I understand the motivation to get the best tyres possible but not at the expense of ride comfort.

I have the same issue with a NA MX-5 sticking with 14 inch wheels as most performance tyres start with larger wheel sizes.

so....if one bites on the PS4 being the superior tyre and wanted to replace 285/30/18 PS2s on the rear of a C4S with them - as PS4s aren't made in that size, would 275/35/18 be an acceptable option? Good or bad?
A little more height (21mm), a little less width (10mm), 3.6% speedo variation.
:?:

Gaity said:
so....if one bites on the PS4 being the superior tyre and wanted to replace 285/30/18 PS2s on the rear of a C4S with them - as PS4s aren't made in that size, would 275/35/18 be an acceptable option? Good or bad?

would it not have a damaging effect on the viscous coupling altering the circumference on the rear axel :?:

NottsRS said:
Gaity said:

would it not have a damaging effect on the viscous coupling altering the circumference on the rear axel :?:

Not sure - as it's viscous wouldn't it just take up the difference or add a little more front bias? Maybe change the fronts to 235/40/18 to even it up a bit?

Gaity said:
NottsRS said:
Gaity said:

Not sure - as it's viscous wouldn't it just take up the difference or add a little more front bias? Maybe change the fronts to 235/40/18 to even it up a bit?

I'm no technical expert but would have thought excessive or constant engaging of the viscous coupling would case it to overheat and burn out, especially running at higher speeds? If it was permanently engaged would it put excessive strain on other parts of the drive train too? Probably best to speak to your indy garage. Or if GT4 is reading this he would probably know for sure :thumb:

Does the manual state what the winter tyre option sizes are for the C4S? Winter rears on the C2 are 265/35/18 which is only 1.8% less diameter/circumference than the 275/35s. Generally speaking I wouldn't be too keen on a big disparity between front and rear wheel diameter with 4 wheel drive. But on a C2 I'm very tempted myself to go PS4 all round with 275/35s on the rear.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe-nee-g
Back