Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Experiences of OPC servicing

I let Leeds OPC service mine last year. They have a Classic Center. Knowledgeable bloke who showed me all the bits i need to keep an eye on. Shame he left my car with a loose exhaust heat shield that rattled on the way home and a rear light unit missing half its screws and was hanging out once id parked up at the ranch.
:?

spannermonkey said:
I let Leeds OPC service mine last year. They have a Classic Center. Knowledgeable bloke who showed me all the bits i need to keep an eye on. Shame he left my car with a loose exhaust heat shield that rattled on the way home and a rear light unit missing half its screws and was hanging out once id parked up at the ranch.
:?

Yep. That sounds about right, based on my previous experience with OPC (not with the 993). An apparent lack of care and attention, on numerous occasions. I used to dread going to collect it to see what damage they'd inflicted each time they had it. :roll:

Generally I prefer to support small businesses in favour of large corporate chains. The independent over the corporate. The benefit should be better service and a cheaper price. Time and again I've read on this forum, that OPC charge for the steel and glass palace and you are also paying a premium for the complimentary coffee.

My experience, as above, is that OPC are more than willing to price match and no more expensive than an independent. You also get a Porsche loan car for the duration. I've handed back a V8 Cayenne S just recently. Car was vacuumed as well. Very happy with the service.

If the independents were cheaper or in some way better I'd be using them.

Recently used my local OPC for the first time for their "classic" oil service. £328 and reasonable service, though no loan car was offered ( a lift in to town though).

Was OK, but service was nothing over and above the local indy I use.

Also, they broke part of my Carrera badge during the car wash! Luckily it was tired looking and I had a spare in the boot.

Slightly O/T, but my car had a huge service including full suspension replacement at Porsche Hamburg before I bought it. Chris from CG commented that it was beautifully put back together (really methodical and detailed apparently) and how he would do it. He didn't see many like that apparently, so if you're over in Northern Germany, thumbs up for them :)

Re: Experiences of OPC servicing

acme said:
A strange question possibly, especially as my 993 hasn't seen the inside of an OPC in over a decade.......my long term Indy changed hands a while back and is no longer in my eyes the same thing, and I'm struggling to find another. So I rang the OPC and below are their quotes, it'll be less in reality as I'll supply my own oil & filters.

So, any feedback/thoughts/experiences, never thought I'd be taking it there!

oil service/6 months (!) £260+VAT
12k/annual £390+VAT

Cheers

It's certainly a difficult decision as quite correctly per previous responses. OPC would be the choice of reasons, but I'm thinking it's more important to have a mechanic of whom has red hot knowledge to look over the vehicle for any concerns or advisories. I suppose on paper if it's just changing the oil, filters, belts and brake fluid etc any tech can do that and if it was my car I'd just go for a fixed price service & get the book stamped. Forget driving round and buying the service items or you might as well just do it yourself and keep the receipts as a record. But that might hit the resale value.

So yes, I'd contact an OPC, discuss your vehicle and your requirements and put the ownes on them to ensure the vehicle is properly maintained and recorded on the national system.

Hmm, my limited experience of OPC servicing has been very poor and in-fact I have never ever had a car treated as badly. I'm not saying all OPC's are bad but be cautious and check reviews.

In 30 years of car ownership of various brands, Porsche have been the worst by many orders of magnitude. I am truly shocked at how bad the one I used is.

Be nice if Porsche Awards published the bad and the ugly along with the good.

Gottans said:
Hmm, my limited experience of OPC servicing has been very poor and in-fact I have never ever had a car treated as badly. I'm not saying all OPC's are bad but be cautious and check reviews.

In 30 years of car ownership of various brands, Porsche have been the worst by many orders of magnitude. I am truly shocked at how bad the one I used is.

Be nice if Porsche Awards published the bad and the ugly along with the good.

Allow me to guess...its an OPC from down south?

I bet the midlands and northerners are rolling around right now with regards to OPC'S down South. It's kind of a running joke the hospitality they show to owners cars.

Allow me to make the second assumption, they tried to deny one of their employees did it or it didn't happen whilst in their care?

On a more thoughtful note, I hope after your tad shade of anger they made good any repair, as a gesture of goodwill I thirdly presume?

A running joke it may be for some.

As for repairs, at first we had 'pre-existing stone chip repairs that had failed' as the first excuse with an offer to 'improve the look' of the damage and to replace the window, then we had a major slanging match on the phone and them trying to force acceptance of their derisory repair offer. Eventually after involving Porsche CS they sent a letter explaining how they would sand the bodywork, repair the damage and paint but only proposing to paint small parts of the affected panels i.e. smart repair sort of thing on a metallic grey car. Every smart repair I have experienced has had problems after a couple of years so I do not consider this acceptable on a car that 6 months earlier was bought as an approved used car in mint condition with a price to match. They only put top notch cars on their forecourts, the rest get sent into the trade.

The car will be going into an approved bodyshop to be repaired properly at an eye watering cost at my expense because I will be less unhappy with spending several thousand pounds than looking at the damage everytime I get in the car.

To say I am pissed off is more than a major understatement, F'ing OPC's.

That sounds crazy!! Surely the business is insured??? A difficult decision divided by.. yes they've admitted blame & confirmed a repair v's the likes of owners that want the job doing properly.

So my advice would have been, accepted the smart repair with a contract that 1, you'll accept the offer based on their confidence it won't ever show 2, if the repair becomes visible as you believe it will then they complete the repair to your exacting standards.

Agree, crazy situation.

The simple fact is my trust in them is zero, I just don't want them touching the car ever again so that means I pay.

The thought of leaving my car in the hands of those butchers for a repeat performance is well..

OK I understand your thoughts entirely, it's precious to you, you place a lot of time maintaining it as close to the day it rolled off the production line. That's a good trait to have. But try and retract your personal feelings away from the end goal. Ultimately the end goal is to get the car back to its original condition.

So you give them a 1 time chance to fix the repair which co-insides with their manufacturer paint guarantee (I think it's 10yrs, but don't quote me, look it up). If the car's paint repair remains good to their word, then happy days, and it costs you nothing. If in 3yrs time and you still own the car, it shows signs of repair, then revisit the problem, take it somewhere that you feel confident to do the job you wanted in the first place and seek the costs from the garage.

If you go straight to plan B and it shows signs of repairs in 3yrs time, well you'll be putting your hand back into your pocket for a second round of costs.

Just treat it as as business contract if you can and think about all the options :thumb:

Had a very good experience with Colchester OPC this year.
Price matched £595 for major service including plugs and gearbox oil, Audi loan car. Very personable, nothing too much trouble.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back