Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Detail / PPF opinion

Longp2

So, I have recently bought a 2014 guards red Carrera 2S and am getting it detailed mid May. The detailer has been highly recommended and will be using Gtechnig products (crystal serum)
Now I know that these cars are quite prone to the odd stone chip so My quandary is - should I get the front end covered with PPF at the same time or wait a couple of years and get it done after a respray (if the stone chips get bad enough to warrant it)?
At present the paint work is almost perfect but the car is almost 3 years old and there are a couple of minute marks which I don't think the detailer will be able to remove completely, so I'm not sure if it's worth putting PPF over 3 year old paint.
All opinions are welcome!

Attachments

• image_496.jpeg
    image_496.jpeg
    947.8 KB · Views: 7,167
There's no doubt that paint protection film will protect the paint work. I had it on my Renault Megane 275 cup S. The self healing Expel product. Circa £1400. However, the film will chip and may eventually begin to look tatty so you might be faced with a bill for replacing the film. You might be better off just accepting a 3 yearly front end blow over bill. I didn't keep mine long enough to see the long term wear but I had one chip on the bonnet after 2000 miles that look a bit unsightly where the film was broken. Depends how hard you are going to drive the car too.

GTechniq, definitely the way to go. :thumb:

If the marks on the bumper are indeed minute, would use a touch-in stick. Building up the paint in layers in the marks using a cocktail stick (or similar) normally works well. Would build the paint slightly proud of the A-surface and then leave. When the detailer does his mop and polish, this will level things off and will give an almost seamless finish prior to the Gtechniq treatment being applied.

If you are going to go this way, would do the paint touching in at least 2 weeks before the detailer in order to allow full hardening of the paint.

Detailing = yes

PPF: IMHO , give it a miss. Save the money for a respray for the future if needed. Slightly different if you are a track user where it might prove worth while.

Car booked in for minor correction detail on may 14th.

I will reconsider PPF in a couple of years.

Thanks for the replies.

Nice car but loving the garage :thumb:

Gazc2 said:
Nice car but loving the garage :thumb:

Thanks! Unfortunately it's not my garage. The photo was taken on the day I picked her up from the dealership.

Had Gtech done a few weeks ago...

Put a thread on too.

Would recommend!

from a 996T owner... having agonised for years over whether I should have its front end resprayed, I was faced with the dilemma that how would/could I prove that in the very unlikely event of me selling it, that it was purely for cosmetic reasons and also, how much of the car would I have painted as there would always be a point where old met new and this would be permanently visible to a degree at least

early last year, mine was subject to a glass out respray at Fast Lane (it's cobalt blue) and they carried out a beautiful job - as you'd expect. It was a fair chunk of money even before a new windscreen and various bits of trim were added on - not something I would want to do again any time soon!

after a month of it sitting in my garage, I then had the self healing Suntek Ultra applied to nearly 3/4 of the car. yep...even more money! But within 3 months I reckon it had paid for itself as 2,500 miles scooting around the Pyrenees and Alps with my mates in their wide 'sticky-tyred' cars had peppered the front splitter - meanwhile the paint and film are still 100% perfect. the same sadly can't be said for the bonnet of my mate's 4 month old Monaco blue GT4

:nooo:

as they say, the first cut is the deepest and in my view, it is worth every penny

just my 2p :thumb:

Sharing what I was recommended.
Having PPF on my new build and after obtaining many views/opinions.
The car is being prepared by a well known detailer.
His words were "If it were my car, I would def have PPF only on front bumper.bonnet and wing mirrors. The car will have PPF on the rear arches already and that will protect the exposed and most common areas of damage.
A grand plus the dreaded, so happy all round.
He also added that he would not have it on anywhere else, even the front wings as he has hardly ever seen damage on those.Plus, its a removal of wings too, that's an extra monkey. I will use that saving for all the exposed surfaces and wheels for Gechniq C/C.
What sold me was one of my lines, "If it were my car". he ended by telling me he was having the same to his Spyder.
I love the Red, nice, but stone chips will be seen for sure.

Don't think there is perfect plan, unless money is no option.

Thanks for the replies. Decided to leave the PPF and will get it done if (when)a re-spray is required in a couple of years!!!

I'll post some pics after the detail has been completed.

I must say from the pi, it looks pretty damned good already.
Has your detailer seen the car? He might be able to clean it to a standard he deems will be good for PPF.
It could save you painting later and a protected car now. if not, you will know you did not miss a window of opportunity. just an idea to consider.

Itstony said:
I must say from the pi, it looks pretty damned good already.
Has your detailer seen the car? He might be able to clean it to a standard he deems will be good for PPF.
It could save you painting later and a protected car now. if not, you will know you did not miss a window of opportunity. just an idea to consider.[/quote

You must have been reading my mind, cars going in next week and I'm going to make a decision then. There are a couple of small marks on front which the detail may not remove - time will tell and I'll let you know how it goes.

Think it was more an obvious option, which you had already thought of.
Forums are for getting alternate info and views, not just sharing pics of a car. I have had so much help from forums I swear by them. This is quite a decent one. Thinking out of the box is not always easy and this equipment is serious dough. It is for me anyway :?
I would PPF it after detailing and you are setup from day one. Quite a no brainer as it should be ready for it.

I collect my new 911 tomorrow, next Monday booked in for partial PPF and full protection with Gletchen ceramic, plus full interior job done. :thumb:

Itstony said:
Think it was more an obvious option, which you had already thought of.
Forums are for getting alternate info and views, not just sharing pics of a car. I have had so much help from forums I swear by them. This is quite a decent one. Thinking out of the box is not always easy and this equipment is serious dough. It is for me anyway :?
I would PPF it after detailing and you are setup from day one. Quite a no brainer as it should be ready for it.

I collect my new 911 tomorrow, next Monday booked in for partial PPF and full protection with Gletchen ceramic, plus full interior job done. :thumb:

Enjoy today!!!! :D Bet you didn't sleep much last night.

And you are right it's serious dough for me also!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back