Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My miserable DANSK sport box experience - now RESULT!!!

Alex

I've posted a few times over the last few months about a problem I've been having with my DANSK sport boxes that were fitted when I purchased the car just over 3 years ago. Anyway, on Thursday whilst washing the motor it came apparent to me what the problem (I think) has been - more of that later.

The initial problem started around a year ago. So when then car went in for its yearly service I asked my trusty mechanic to investigate. He noticed both cat to box sleeves were weeping and replaced those, also having a good inspection of the system but couldn't find anything whilst the car was running up on the ramps. Although replacing the sleeves/clamps did dramatically improve the sound, I still wasn't 100% convinced the problem was solved.

Since then, the noise problem started to deteriorate over the rest of last year and by September I had my mechanic investigate again. He couldn't visually see anything but noted that the RH box was the one at fault and suggested maybe a loose baffle or other internal component. At this point I decided to write directly to the owner of DANSK as I felt I wouldn't get much joy from the place I purchased the car or from where they sourced the boxes as 2 years (which I thought was the warranty period) had now surpassed. I also believed the issue was a manufacturing defect and felt it better to contact DANSK direct as they were the party 'at fault' here.

The dealer I purchased the car from were very helpful and contacted the place they sourced the boxes from and acquired a copy of the invoice for me as evidence of the purchase.

Anyway, after much waiting and no joy I eventually contacted their area sales Manager for the UK. He was aware of the problem and had been trying to contact me though the UK supplier but didn't get anywhere. Why he didn't just write back to me? :dont know:

Basically from that moment, although helpful, he made it clear DANSK couldn't do anything apart from chase it up with the UK distributor and see if they were able to help me as the item was purchased from them. My dealer had purchased the boxes from 9apart and the UK distributor they get them from was Eurocarparts.

9apart did contact me when the issue was raised to them. They notified me that the warranty on the DANSK boxes is only 12 months - I thought this was pretty poor as the idea of purchasing the DANSK boxes in the first place is that you're purchasing a superior product than the original OEM ones originally fitted by Porsche and due to them being a Full Stainless Steel system, you don't need to have to worry about having to replace them for another 8+ years. I would at least expect them to last as long as the OEM ones (which were 14 years old before they failed). This was 9apart's response to the quality/longevity of the DANSK system:

"Exhaust silencers, even stainless steel ones are a serviceable item so I'm not sure why you thought they would out live your ownership of the car. The stainless steel genuine Porsche silencers which are high quality were having to be replaced in the first place proving they do not last for ever. As the silencers are well out of our warranty time frame then I feel that Dansk themselves will have to look into this matter further. "

I wonder if that's their sales pitch when they're selling them?

Martin from DANSK then contacted Eurocarparts to see if they were to offer me a solution to my problem. They did - they offered me a brand new set at a discounted price:

"Yes Martin has explained the situation.
With that in mind we can offer you a set at £495.00 + vat."

The amount that carparts4less (their company) were currently selling them for once you added the discount code. :roll:

Obviously I made them aware of this.

After a few more emails, DANSK notified me ECP would be back in touch with a final offer and if I didn't take it, there was nothing more that could be done. ECP did get back to me with this offer:

"I can now offer the exhaust to you at £440.00 + vat
So that will be £528.00.
Shipping is free within the UK."

At that point I made the decision it was time to roll my sleeves up, remove the faulty part myself, cut it open and see what was wrong, with the intention of resolving the problem, welding back together and refitting back on the car, as this would be a far cheaper option than shelving out £530 on a product that I would possibly have to replace again in 2 years time. :nooo:

The car's in for its service any day now and was going to get the box whipped off then and start investigating the problem...

....but whilst washing the car on Thursday night I noticed some movement in the RH tailpipe and a not so nice metallic rubbing sound. Took a peak under the car and saw this - the flexi-pipe part of the back box where it joins to the cat:

20170422_135715_HDR_zpsjpbitglj.jpg

Over the weekend I've sealed it up with some exhaust putty just to prove this was the problem I've had slowly deteriorating over the past 12 months and it looks like it was........Although started blowing again already due to the bodge fix. Fortunately those flexi-pipes are ready available so my mechanic should be able to chop that off and weld a new one on. Once this has been done, I'll give some feedback on the results. Might even get him to do the LH side as (since this has happened) I've seen many posts and threads about this problem with the DANSK boxes.

Although I've loved the boxes and the sound they create, I don't think I could recommend these to anyone without 1st notifying them there's a chance they'll only last 2 years.

If someone had asked me what will come first:

3 years ownership
10,000 posts on 911uk.com
Your DANSK boxes packing up

DANSK would've been last on the list, not 1st :nooo:

Hope this thread helps decide what boxes people will fit on their P&J and where to purchase them from when the time comes to replace.

As mentioned on a dansk thread a while back when you mentioned writing to them
My flexi joints both split within 2 years
And the garage I had new flexi joints welded in at said they had another 911 with a dansk exhaust in the next day for the same thing!

Well that's naff isn't it. Look forward to giving that on mine then - must be getting on for 2 years now.

Sorry you had such a crap experience Alex. Least it's a cheap fix in the end even if it's not one you expected to have to make.

Just some feedback about my exhaust from Topgear who are a lesser know company to Dansk. I have had their boxes fitted since April 2014 so 3 years . A month ago during a regular inspection by my Porsche tech he noted that one of the valves was not opening and closing. I never close it so had no idea it had seized up. I called Alex at top gear and explained how long I had had the system for and what was wrong. his response was the following.

" dont worry can you email me your name and address I will deal with it"

3 days later a courier delivered a complete remote valve set up for this exhaust the whole thing not just the part that had failed. Retail price of what they sent £160.

Now that is the sort of service and support you expect , and it is very disappointing to hear that Dansk are lacking in that same service and customer care and are happy to pass the issue around between the people in their supply chain without accepting that they are actually the name behind the product.

IMO a big plus 1 for Topgear and a huge disappointing minus 1 for Dansk surely they know that this sort of negative feedback on an open forum can damage them financially in this highly competitive marker sector, far more than the cost of resolving the issue,or maybe they are too arrogant to believe it can happen . Either way more fool them.

Totally agree Phil. I even stated in my original letter to DANSK about their strap line, can't remember now, but something like customer is king.

The manufacturer "warranty period" means little in law, have a read:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

Your rights against the retailer can last for up to six years, but the onus is on you to prove a fault was present at the time of purchase after the first six months.

Sounds like Dansk have a problem with their flexis.

However your contract is with whoever you bought it from, not Dansk.

I once got money back from some coilpacks for a Golf refunded from Eurocarparts, plus the fitting cost when they failed. Keep pressing them, their first answer will always be "nah mate"

Or just have them welded and move on with your life.

wasz said:
The manufacturer "warranty period" means little in law, have a read:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

Your rights against the retailer can last for up to six years, but the onus is on you to prove a fault was present at the time of purchase after the first six months.

Sounds like Dansk have a problem with their flexis.

However your contract is with whoever you bought it from, not Dansk.

I once got money back from some coilpacks for a Golf refunded from Eurocarparts, plus the fitting cost when they failed. Keep pressing them, their first answer will always be "nah mate"

Or just have them welded and move on with your life.

Yes completely agree with you on the letter of the Law and the contract being with whoever you brought them from. But in the real world ECP won't loose sleep if they never sell another Dansk exhaust as they are a diversified retailer, whereas Dansk would have an issue if people stop buying their products because of negative feedback on the Web about the customer service and back up.
In the past 12 months there have been many many thread on here from guys deciding which exhaust to buy and many have been a toss up between Dansk and Topgear as similarly priced and sounding products. Negative feedback will sway these type to buyers away from Dansk . And this is just one car forum in one country, and many of the guys on here own multiple marques and are active on Forums related to those other Marques and that's how quick good or bad info can spread about a product or supplier. :thumb: :thumb:

Taken from DANSK's website:

PHILOSOPHY

SERVICE, QUALITY & RELIABILITY

Our main focus is 100 percent customer satisfaction. With worldwide quality control and sourcing to secure a wide and deep program with a high availability.

MISSION - OUR REASON FOR EXISTENCE

With the customer in focus and in selected markets to develop, produce and distribute quality spare parts for the automotive after-market.

VISION - OUR LONG-TERM PLAN

We wish to be known for our customer service and increase revenue in selected markets for all-makes- and classic automotive after-market quality spareparts.

:chin:

I put a stainless steel system on my MGB in 1985 and it's still going strong, it had a "lifelong" guarantee but I think I've had my moneys worth. Kind of puts a 12 mths warrantee in perspective though.

That`s terrible customer service from Dansk and their UK distributors Alex :nooo:

I`ve just had a root through my 996 service file to see when my unknown aftermarket boxes were fitted and can`t find anything, but I know that the previous owner didn`t have them fitted, so they have to be 4 years + old now........................so that rules out Dansk as the manufacturer :thumb:

They still look like new :grin:

I too have issues with the Dansk flexis.

The system was fitted by previous owner about four and a half years ago. My mechanic, during the last service, did comment that the system wasn't in the best shape. Mine was also a bit louder than 'arry's when we met up last year. And last month I discovered a hole in the flexi pipe.

I have since bought another Dansk; I didn't look for alternative because I like the sound, is track day friendly and droning free. Managed to get it through ECP for just under £600 including fitting kit and Quidco cash back, so it wasn't too bad.

Having said that, I will definitely investigate on alternative to Dansk the next time.

My mechanic is fitting 2 new flexis this week.

alex yates said:
My mechanic is fitting 2 new flexis this week.

My mechanic, like yours, also suggested and suspected that baffle / internal components had deteriorated.

Mine was noticeably louder than 'arry's 15 (?) months old system.

When I get a new system I know who I won't be getting it from. :hand:

my drivers side flexy on the Dansk Super sounds just touches whatever the bit nearest it is.. Noted by Hartech during their inspection.
'Will need attention' I think was the phrase.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back