Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hartech Engine rebuild and all good again

Dammit said:
My plan was to do the above but also go to 3.7 litres, as I'd be having the barrels replaced anyway.

Budget £12k then.

Significantly less than that was what I was told on the phone- however the 3.7 litre offering isn't yet signed off so this is all subject to change.

At 5,000 miles/year I've got plenty of time for Hartech to finalise things.

Base Engine Rebuild (Car & Engine): £3500 + VAT

Option d) 6 x New Cylinders: £2500 + VAT

6 x New Piston: From £169 + VAT (From £1014 + VAT)

New Latest Design Porsche Intermediate Shaft: From £750 + VAT
(no brainer if you're going up to 3.7)

New Crank Shaft Bearing Set: From £120 + VAT

New Timing Chain Set: From £222 + VAT

Total - (from) £8,106 + VAT = £9,727

I'm assuming here that everything needed for a 3.7 is the cost on their website, although I'd have thought some price increase on those base costs. :dont know:

As I said - budget £12k. Once you've had a new clutch and flywheel fitted whilst they're in there and a new AOS + any other stuff they'll recommend (as the originals will be jiggered) then £12k will be in the right ball park.

Well that's me 2k in on the rebuilt engine and what I was told would have it run in, I had my last 200 miles to do yesterday so took the day off and went for a blast round some cracking roads around Lochearn head, Killin which is not far from Perth.

Apart from one problem the first 2k have been problem free so long may this continue, to be fair the problem I had was with evap set up and not engine related really.

Today I dropped the oil and filter and moved over to miller's 10/50, I opened up the oil filter out of curiosity as the last time it looked like a glitter ball, today there was absolutely nothing too see.

I have to say that in the time I had the car before the rebuild it wasn't what I would class as impressive power wise but now it goes well and I also now don't have the fear of something going bang when pushing on a bit.

Hartech.

From what I understand , the cost of a precautionary rebuild, that people have mentioned is in the region of £10k. Obviously could be more dependent on what is required. Some people have said that around the 80k is a good point, but its a lot of money if your car is running faultlessly at 80k. Tough decision really. :?:

I done mine because it was needed, oil pressure problems etc, it was alot of money to throw into it but I knew it would be good when done, problem being now is I've been offered a cat d turbo cheap but realistically couldn't sell my C4 for enough to make it worthwhile, good car with a top engine now though so the turbo could be for someone else

I think for guys who have had there cars a few years based on current prices you wouldnt be out of pocket to spend 8/10k on them . not so easy for guys who have only recently brought them to swallow more on the car but they are still moving the right way in value so who knows . It wasn't long ago you would have laughed at a 996 going for over 20k even the turbo was only in that ball park.and look at them now. :thumb:

Locosaki said:
I done mine because it was needed, oil pressure problems etc, it was alot of money to throw into it but I knew it would be good when done, problem being now is I've been offered a cat d turbo cheap but realistically couldn't sell my C4 for enough to make it worthwhile, good car with a top engine now though so the turbo could be for someone else

Just how cheap is the turbo?

I believe it went for 18k

I've been in contact with Hartech in the last week with regards to having my 3.4 engine rebuilt. Indeed it is closer to the £10K mark for a rebuild. I'm also interested in the 3.7 when it's released.
I've just had a suspension refresh and Ohlins coilovers fitted. Plus gearbox repair and new SMF and clutch. I'm at the point now where I'm not sure whether to get the engine rebuilt. Or cut my losses and go for a 997.

ReDBull said:
I've been in contact with Hartech in the last week with regards to having my 3.4 engine rebuilt. Indeed it is closer to the £10K mark for a rebuild. I'm also interested in the 3.7 when it's released.
I've just had a suspension refresh and Ohlins coilovers fitted. Plus gearbox repair and new SMF and clutch. I'm at the point now where I'm not sure whether to get the engine rebuilt. Or cut my losses and go for a 997.

There's a fair few 997's at Hartech at the moment having engine rebuilds. Or are you thinking Gen 2?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back