Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

cam cover bolts - one job leads to another

pietrzj

Hi,

Changing plu leads, plugs, dizzies and rotors at the moment and notced several lower cam cover bolts (allan studs) are rusted such that I wouldn't be aboe to get then out with an allan key.

Not essentioal for the job I am doing, but while its all stripped down it makes sense to replace them.

Any hints/tips on how to remove them? Any examples of successful removal?

I don't want to shear them off by cold chiselling if there are better techniques to try first.

Jan

Just done the same thing. If you are doing the cam covers you may as well do the plugs, a couple of my ht leads looked in poor condition so I did them. Then you may as well do the oil and filters. Then you might as well do the gearbox oil and filter(if not done within your memory) I then also did or doing, the heater air hoses.

My cam cover bolts were generally ok but I did have one where the hex was rounded. I just hammered a 12 point socket on to it, sorry can't recall the size and it came off a treat.

I have also heard where people have cut a slot in the head and used a flat head screw driver which I have never tried.

good luck :thumbs:

Thanks both. Have ordered replacement bolts and will tentatively give them a go over the next week or two (I have some imperial allan keys I can sacrifice so may try those before drilling out to 6mm

Jan

p.s left back Upper & Lower plug leads were easy. RH I am sure will be more difficult.

Still no luck trying to remove the first one (RHS lower frontmost) allan stud.

Have dremilled a flat to use a 10mm wide screwdriver (needs to be wide to catch both sides of the stud), but its not budging.

May have to try heat next, but I am also wondering why I am bothering as I don't need to remove the cover yet. Originally liked the idea that I will have nice shiny new studs in when I do come to remove it.

I am thinking now that if I left it until I removed the cover I would get better purchase if I sheared one off.

It sounds like you have done a bit of damage to the bolt so why leave a problem to another time and sort it know. I know easy for me to say :)

I had a similar issue and after I had hammered a socket over the head it flew off but maybe I was just lucky.

Heat would work but the cam cover is plastic so it obviously can take heat but I am not sure how much.

Best of luck.

HomersSpiceRack - I know what you are saying, and it makes sense for me to do it now, but if I do shear it off I really will have to take the whole cam cover off and that is not my plan right now - I just wanted to change out some of the dodgy looking alan studs.

Did you use a socket over the outside of the alan key head or did you use a torque type socket on the inside?

As I say it's easy for me to say but if you have gone to the trouble to get this far I would consider sorting the problem. Also, and I hate to say it, if you are changing the bolts change the gaskets.....

Back to you problem. I did hope to pop down to the shed tonight where I still have a socket jammed on the head of a rusty Porsche bolt! but sadly didn't have time. However, to the best of my memory it is a twelve sided/pointed socket, 9mm?, hammered onto the bolt. It certainly didn't then put up a fight.

Have a nagging feeling that it was an imperial socket so will check over the weekend.

Well all plug leads, dizzies, rotors and plugs changed successfully.

Just changed the fuel filter - lets just say 13year intervals for new fuel filters is too long!!

I will post a photo of the guck I shook out of it tomorrow!!

Cutting off rusty exhaust bolts now, to replace with A4 Stainless ones.

hopefully photo of fuel filter crude below

Attachments

• filtercrud2_155.png
    filtercrud2_155.png
    935 KB · Views: 5,367
crud not crude, but either way its pretty filthy. Turned a reddy colour when it dried off. I am guessing as the tank is plastic and the fule lines are mostly rubber all this crud is from fuel.

Can't wait to start her up now, but still need to sort the replacement of my catalytic converter straps before I can

A late reply but I did promise.. The socket was a 12mm as I thought but when in the shed I realised that the oil drain plug near the long filter was rounded when I did the oil change and I had knocked on a 9/16" socket to remove that.

Thanks all. Perserverence plus gas and a centre punch and chisel got the tough ones free with a little help from a dremel and a hammered on hex socket. All nice shiny alan studs in place now. Will post some photies soon

It's very easy to not fit your plug leads correctly.
Run the car with the king lead off each distributor in turn
It should run on 6 both ways.

cam cover 1

Attachments

• img_4588_197.jpg
    img_4588_197.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 4,972

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member