Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BHP numbers vs real world performance

MNC is absolutely right. Here's my almost stock Mini gobbling up a well driven 500bhp R32 Skyline at Brands, whilst in the hands of a ex touring car racer friend of mine. Same Skyline was showing me a clean set of heels when I was driving, and I could have sworn I was getting every last tenth out of my car. Clearly not.

Attachments

• dsc_0183_155.jpg
    dsc_0183_155.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 5,829
MNC911 said:
Driver balls, driver ability and driver stupidity will always play it's part.

Think of it this way, if a specific bend has a top speed of 60mph and anything above that is going to end in tears. Then it all comes down to the above three things.

I was on track one day on the R1 and Neil Mckenzie whooped all our asses on a Goldwing, probably listening to Enya or whale music.

In the right hands any car is faster. The only time this doesn't apply is on motorways, but where is the fun in that.

I agree with the previous comment, and maybe stick my neck on the block and sat a Boxster can probability beat a 911 in the real twisties.
Agree absolutely with the above. In my example I was only going from the wilmslow high school roundabout to Alderley Edge roundabout. Hardly technical and pretty much a drag race with a rolling start.

I was just reading an article by Gordon Murray which was about power to weight ratios as the base metric: his point was that a lot of the new cars are running massive powertrains with extra electric engines, as well as the turbos, with batteries, loads of extra radiators, gallons of extra coolant, and they're aren't all that much quicker. I'm sure he's right.

But you also need to consider the suspension, and grip and traction: I've been in one of those Black Series and it was all but undrivable down a country road as the rear end kept hopping over bumps, and spinning up the rear tyres, which would then spit the car sideways on landing before the TCS cut the power. It was frankly bollocks. It would have been easy to get by in my MINI. No doubt the 63 would work well at Bruntingthorpe for Vmax runs, but a quick car needs to be able to get the power down, carry speed through corners, and not set it's pads on fire. And that's what a 911 does really well.

On a positive note : I do like the sound track of a C63 being enjoyed. To be honest the C63 does actually sound fast & powerful.

I can't remember (someone might be able to help my memory) but Jezza on TopGear used to demonstrate how good or bad cars would perform on corners in different episodes.

Some had under or over-steer, some like the Clio would ***** its wheel off the floor. Some he'd describe as defying the laws of gravity with the G-force generated.

The biggest OMG for me to date is one of those Audi Estate things. I'll be totally honest and say I know nothing about Audi, but what ever the guys at Audi put under the bonnet turns that drum kit carrying coffin into a serious bit of kit. Absolutely left the 911 for dust on the A50.

As MNC says, a lot of it is down to the driver.

My friend and I who both have German race licenses, whoop Mr 'all the gear and no idea' arses GT3RS's in 125BHP Suzuki Swift's on a TF day at the Nürburgring!

Axlesnap said:
can't comment on a C63 but having driven a R8 V10 with 600 bhp plus and owning a 997.2S I'm pretty certain that a R8 V10 will show a clean pair of heels to the Porsche given anything close to equal driver ability.
The Audi is a truly great car; noise, traction, build quality and daily capability are very impressive, the only negatives where the over servo'd brakes and,beneath the initial impression, a lack of theatre.
Is it worth another 70-80k over my 997.2S is a tricky question, head says no but heart keeps hearing that v10 redline and

I got smoked by a v10 R8. It looked proper quick and sounded awesome. Admittedly I wasn't planning on a race, but it definitely was pulling away from me quite quickly.

Very impressive thing it was.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back