Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Moving on from Sunday car washer...

Steve Gom

Always loved cleaning my cars but Silver doesn't always reward your labour with the same finish as a darker colour.

Anyway after investing in some entry level Gtechniq/Meguiars products I'd like to think I've upped my game a bit, but how much of the detailing game is product dependent, or is it all in the application/technique?

Attachments

• 911_wax_789.jpg
    911_wax_789.jpg
    872.2 KB · Views: 5,760
Steve that looks really nice, you should have a chat with KJD as he has a silver 997 and has managed to get a great deep shine like you have . :thumb:

Looks fantastic! For what its worth, Sergio Pininfarina said that silver shows off the shape of a car best.

I would say its 9/10ths technique, preparation and patience. The final glaze makes a marginal difference to the appearance, so its finding one that works for you. I found, for example that Zymol Concours glaze made my silver cars look a hint darker.

Also the details... its surprising how the eye (mine at least) is drawn to stuff like grotty brake hubs, exhaust tips, yellowing lights etc which detract from even the most dipped-in-glass paintwork. I find that finishing the glass with Rain-X makes them look shinier too, enhancing the overall look.

Cheers Phil - nothing like a black car when it's clean though eh? Well for the first 7, or so, minutes anyway!

Robertb said:
I would say its 9/10ths technique, preparation and patience. The final glaze makes a marginal difference to the appearance, so its finding one that works for you. I found, for example that Zymol Concours glaze made my silver cars look a hint darker. quote]

That Zymol gear must be close to £200, but does it give the same results when used by an amateur though?

Funnily enough I bought the Zymol when I was feeling flush 10 years ago at least- still loads left, it lasts ages!

Its very easy to use, actually a real pleasure except your neighbours and family think you've finally lost it as you kneel down next to your car smearing it in melted wax with your bare hands... :oops:

Phil 997 said:
Steve that looks really nice, you should have a chat with KJD as he has a silver 997 and has managed to get a great deep shine like you have . :thumb:

Just clocked KJDs ownership thread - Wow, he's a proper slave to it. Looks totally amazing!!
Not sure my 20 year old 996 will come up like his pristine 997, but it's something to aim for!

Robertb said:
Its very easy to use, actually a real pleasure except your neighbours and family think you've finally lost it as you kneel down next to your car smearing it in melted wax with your bare hands... :oops:

This made me smile. My neighbours look at me funny when I wash my car properly with a hose, water, shampoo, two buckets and a mitt. They all get their drivers to do it with some Fairy liquid and an old pair of underpants, and to be fair, it really shows...

MaxA said:
Robertb said:

This made me smile. My neighbours look at me funny when I wash my car properly with a hose, water, shampoo, two buckets and a mitt. They all get their drivers to do it with some Fairy liquid and an old pair of underpants, and to be fair, it really shows...

My neighbour washes her Fiesta with a small kitchen jug of water and a washing-up cloth.

MaxA said:
Robertb said:

Skid marks down the bonnet?

jpsh120 said:
MaxA said:
Robertb said:

Skid marks down the bonnet?

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Silver! Yes it's possible to get some great results but it will make you work for it :grin:

Relatively easy to get some shine on silver, depth is another matter but I like a challenge :)

Thanks Phil & Steve for the comments :thumb:

My neighbour uses baby wipes to clean the whole of her Suzuki Swift - makes a dyed in the wool detailer like me cringe

I have an attic full of concours trophies for cars and bikes that have been won using nothing more than T cut and Mr Sheen..I kid you not! :)

kas750 said:
I have an attic full of concours trophies for cars and bikes that have been won using nothing more than T cut and Mr Sheen..I kid you not! :)

Yep, technique ALWAYS trumps product :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back