Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another Battery Related Question

SMc2

I don't drive my car enough - I know. So the battery going flat is a fairly regular occurrence. And I know that when I go to it later it will probably be flat and I'll have to jump it.

Anyway what I actually want to know is there anyway of stopping the alarm going off when the battery has gone flat? Having the key in the ignition doesn't stop it. Is there another way? - it hurts my ears!!

Thanks

when the battery is flat the alarm siren is run off the siren's internal battery. If the siren is old it could be its battery is knackered and draining your main battery.

If its a H&P siren system it may be positioned in your engine bay. There may be a connector close by or within it that you can disconnect. There is one inside for just the battery if you are happy to not have the siren at all when the battery is flat or its been disconnected by a thief you can leave that one disconnected. :cop:

Ear protectors or have the siren removed and coded OFF as it can trigger the alarm if not coded off on a standard Porsche system.

Oh and yes 30 seconds of it going off isnt pleasent as theres no way to stop it untill its run its cycle .

Batterys going dead flat is not good for them , they tend to die much quicker.

No chance of a battery trickle charger i take it , or a solar one .

Thanks for replies.

Can't use a trickle charger unfortunately - street parking. I am using one of the solar ones which seems to improve the length of time I can leave it to about a week, sometimes longer.

The battery is only about a year old and I seem to have to change them every 18 months or so. It's been checked for extra current draw and dodgy alternator but all OK it seems.

Next time the car is in for something I think I will see if the chap can remove the siren and re-code. I think this is going to be an ongoing problem which I can't get around!

If your car only lasts a week (if that) before flattening the battery, you have a parasitic drain problem, or a faulty battery.

I'm sure there is a battery drain too but it can't be found.

Also I know it's got a tracker because I've got the paperwork so it could be that but God knows where it's hidden.

Best way to isolate it in the absence of any equipment like an ammeter is to start pulling fuses for permanent live circuits, do one at a time and leave the car - that'll then isolate where you need to look.

I wouldn't want to leave the car with a battery drain issue like that, over a longer term..

Ammeter and pulling fuses is the best way, but remember different circuits are powered when the car is locked and alarmed. I fed the ammeter leads through the hood seal so I could lock the car for the test.

The quiickest way is to remove half of all the fuses and take a reading. if it is higher than expected take half of the remaining fuses out and so on.

If the reading is normal after removing the first half of the fuses, replace half of them and repeat test. I am sure you get teh idea here.

The mA value you should be in the regoin of must be on a thread somewhere. I can't remember what mine was.

Sean Massie said:
I'm sure there is a battery drain too but it can't be found.

Also I know it's got a tracker because I've got the paperwork so it could be that but God knows where it's hidden.

Tracker batterys when they fail give a pulsed discharge every 30 - 40 seconds or so ..

PM me if its a standard tracker fitted by Porsche ( cobra ) and ill let you know a location to check for it .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back