Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Am I completely mad?

You're a long time dead and a 911 will make the living part so much more enjoyable.

Go for it; you absolutely won't regret it (and I'm a huge BMW fan as well)

Once you drive a 911, all of your questions will be answered.

After all "There is no substitute"

New997buyer said:
Horses for courses really. I've used a 911 as a daily for 7 years. Starting with a 996.1 C2, then a 996 turbo and I'm now in a 997 turbo. Between them I've covered just over 102k miles.

Pros
As others have said, it's a 911 Porsche. You're driving a motoring icon. A silhouette instantly recognisable and a driving experience because of the rear engine unlike any other.

Lack of depreciation. My current car I'd hope to remain value neutral. My last car went up. My first lost a few thousand as the market hadn't turned. But in a 102k miles my collective 911s have lost less than £4k between them. That's extraordinary!

Did I mention the driving experience? They're not the quickest in a straight line. A modern AMG A class, VW Type-R or even a 15 year old M3 will outdrag you. But not as much as their extra cash ought to buy them. You'll be inches (milliseconds) behind. But they're not like any other cars. 40 years (by the 996) of development of how to make a car with the engine at the wrong end handle means once you master how to use that mass at the rear to accelerate out of corners you'll not want to drive other cars. And you will as even a clay handed mutt like me can do that!

Appreciation. Not the financial side. People generally like 911s. They're seen as a bit quirky and individual. Like the drivers. Think Saabs that go really fast. It's a community you're buying into.

My 996 C2 would do 32-34 mpg on a long run. My 996 turbo did 32 mpg on a trip to Scotland. My 997 turbo I've not yet got above 25 mpg but that's ahem, driver error....( :oops: )

Cons
It's a 13 yr old 911. There are likely to be bills from time to time. I look at mine from a 'total cost of ownership' perspective. Not sure if you know the concept but simple it's the overall cost per mile. And last time I checked it was low and in the pence. Get a good Indy as I have and you're sorted. While routine maintenance is well within the grasp of even the most novice home mechanic.

You'll get harassed by Audi diesels driven by idiots from time to time and the AMG, R-Type, RS brigade will likely want to race you. While people appreciate 911s some need to display spite towards you (I'm less convinced that it's jealousy). And people in vans won't be nice to you - generally as some on here drive vans and have / love 911s, but let's face it they are in the minority.

And that's about it from my experience. Good luck with the search :thumbs:

We've had the same 2 Inst Porsche's lol. I quite like the look of the m4 which is a bit slower than a turbo, but I don't think I'd be able to handle the lack of traction. You get spoiled with the grip of a 911.

New997buyer said:
Horses for courses really. I've used a 911 as a daily for 7 years. Starting with a 996.1 C2, then a 996 turbo and I'm now in a 997 turbo. Between them I've covered just over 102k miles.

Pros
As others have said, it's a 911 Porsche. You're driving a motoring icon. A silhouette instantly recognisable and a driving experience because of the rear engine unlike any other.

Lack of depreciation. My current car I'd hope to remain value neutral. My last car went up. My first lost a few thousand as the market hadn't turned. But in a 102k miles my collective 911s have lost less than £4k between them. That's extraordinary!

Did I mention the driving experience? They're not the quickest in a straight line. A modern AMG A class, VW Type-R or even a 15 year old M3 will outdrag you. But not as much as their extra cash ought to buy them. You'll be inches (milliseconds) behind. But they're not like any other cars. 40 years (by the 996) of development of how to make a car with the engine at the wrong end handle means once you master how to use that mass at the rear to accelerate out of corners you'll not want to drive other cars. And you will as even a clay handed mutt like me can do that!

Appreciation. Not the financial side. People generally like 911s. They're seen as a bit quirky and individual. Like the drivers. Think Saabs that go really fast. It's a community you're buying into.

My 996 C2 would do 32-34 mpg on a long run. My 996 turbo did 32 mpg on a trip to Scotland. My 997 turbo I've not yet got above 25 mpg but that's ahem, driver error....( :oops: )

Cons
It's a 13 yr old 911. There are likely to be bills from time to time. I look at mine from a 'total cost of ownership' perspective. Not sure if you know the concept but simple it's the overall cost per mile. And last time I checked it was low and in the pence. Get a good Indy as I have and you're sorted. While routine maintenance is well within the grasp of even the most novice home mechanic.

You'll get harassed by Audi diesels driven by idiots from time to time and the AMG, R-Type, RS brigade will likely want to race you. While people appreciate 911s some need to display spite towards you (I'm less convinced that it's jealousy). And people in vans won't be nice to you - generally as some on here drive vans and have / love 911s, but let's face it they are in the minority.

And that's about it from my experience. Good luck with the search :thumbs:

Paul thats a great post and just about sums up 911 ownership, nice one :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for all the tips and advice - it's reasuring to see so manu on here who use a 911 as their daily drive.

I'm off to see a 2 owner 55K 996 C2.2 manual on an 04 plate with full OPC/Indy service history tomorrow, so we'll see. It's a basic spec car, but I'm hoping that's going to be made up for by it's condition.
By the way, do all 996's of that era have an OBC or was it an option?

Scully did you ask the same question on Bland Motoring Weekends.com ,and what did they say, look like everyone else in a similarly shaped box or drive an iconic sports car. :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb:

If OBC means the computer, it was standard for the facelift cars, it's more usable with the PCM but it's really rather old fashioned nowadays.

Mike

Scully,

Keep the beemer .......and also buy the Porsche........... :popcorn:

You don't say if you are married or have kids, but here is the logic.
Bank loans or mortgage extensions are cheap as chips these days.
Run both cars for a while, decide which one takes your fancy, or whether you can afford both, then make your mind up to sell one or the other.

Whichever way you go make sure you get the Porsche PPI'd before you buy and then go with your heart.
I'm sure you'll get a many different replies, it's down to you now.....

Porsche.......No Porsche.......Porsche........No Porsche......

Keep us posted. :thumb:

Scully said:
Thanks for all the tips and advice - it's reasuring to see so manu on here who use a 911 as their daily drive.

I'm re-married, have 4 kids and my 911 is my daily driver.
I normally do around 20K per year, and all of them in a 911 with a big smile on my face.

My nephew (TezBassett - a Cayenne owner on here) drove it last week and said "20K per year in that... you lucky Bast**d" :lol:

I'm currently on 103,000 and planning on putting another 100K on it before I sell it 😜

Oops! It looks like I've agreed to buy a nice tidy 2 owner 996 C2.2 8)

Exciting :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

:thumb:

plus 1 :thumb: let us know how you find your first drive

Welcome to 911UK.COM
Good decision :)
pictures please :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut