Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It`s time to change my Daily Driver, but for what ?

I've done 130,000 miles in my Skoda Fabia tdi and it's a joy to drive-
No worries about clients thinking you are flash in a Skoda......
You can't go wrong with an Octavia VRS-

carkid said:
I've done 130,000 miles in my Skoda Fabia tdi and it's a joy to drive-
No worries about clients thinking you are flash in a Skoda......
You can't go wrong with an Octavia VRS-

Lol, I actually had a tour around a Skoda factory may years ago while I was working out there :thumb:

Do you know that " Skoda " means " It`s a pity " in Czech :grin:

NO DIESELS ALLOWED, this is the whole point of the thread, the gubbinment want to get rid of them ( but not diesel busses, diesel taxis, diesel trains, diesel council trucks, diesel lorries ) :thumb:

The replacement has to be Petrol !

Skoda make an Octavia VRS with a petrol engine...👍
Although I can already sense you don't want a Skoda ☹️

Don't believe the dogma about Jaguar reliability... I've owned a few over the years as do folk I know and they are great.

Certainly much better than my experience of Audi, whose electrics are made of cheese.

Shame you don't like BMWs as they are alchemists where it comes to MPG from petrol cars.

How about a Golf GTi or Audi S3 (he says contradicting his comment above about cheesy electrics)

not sure what the govt stance is on diesels, but it seems early to chop in a diesel, even if they increase tax a few hundred quid a year, its peanuts compared to increased mpg. I save about 25 quid a day if I take my diesel rather than my porsche to work, I live a long way away.

Another vote for a Jag XF. Have you thought about something with an LPG conversion and a big petrol lump? Vxr8 (Monaro thingy), 3.0 TFSI A6 or A8, Lexus LS hybrid,BMW V8 5 or 7 series.
The Germans have sold their souls to the devil of diesel over the past years,so whilst developing their diesel powertrains, have wholeheartedly neglected their petrol ones. This leaves the market with a massive shortage of mid to large petrol powered cars. I too think that diesel will disappear for passenger cars in the coming years, and getting out now is a good move.

I think that for large cars a diesel car will be cheaper to own for a long time to come. If you are going to be changing again in another two years and will be massively depreciating the car by putting a ton of miles on it I would be tempted to use the diesel paranoia to get as good a price as you can now on the car and enjoy the lower running costs until the next change.

MC

timm996 said:
not sure what the govt stance is on diesels, but it seems early to chop in a diesel, even if they increase tax a few hundred quid a year, its peanuts compared to increased mpg. I save about 25 quid a day if I take my diesel rather than my porsche to work, I live a long way away.

Agreed. That said, the £20 a day charge for driving into a 'low emissions zone' could soon add up.

There is lots to be said for diesels as daily drivers, all that low down muscle and great fuel economy.

Robertb said:
timm996 said:

Agreed. That said, the £20 a day charge for driving into a 'low emissions zone' could soon add up.

There is lots to be said for diesels as daily drivers, all that low down muscle and great fuel economy.

This is part of the problem, I`m up and down the country and in and out of town centres like nobodys business, loughborough, Birmingham and Coventry today, diesel charges will cripple me. The Government really need to think this through carefully or Engineers like me will simply give up our businesses and go and do something else instead because of their stupid ill-thought out policies towards motorists :sad:

Its local authority rather than govt driven policy, so one can only hope that they will see sense, particularly as diesel owners are also voters.

No question that diesels in cities are a nightmare but that said, its the old ones that are the issue, not the more modern Euro compliant ones. Well as long as they aren't cheaty VAG ones.

Golf R five door or estate if the boots not big enough. Reasonably efficient on the motorway and all weather capability. I'll be getting another at some point.

Personally I'd buy another diesel as taxing them more I reckon is a long way off. What about one that can run on biodiesel/chip fat :dont know:

The Merc 300h. Jonttt had one and I dont think you actually need to plug them in :dont know:

Don't think anyone else has suggested this ....

Toyota Prius or Lexus GS300h

Both get over the diesel issue, have reasonable mpg and hopefully have enough space, coupled with Toyota's legendary reliability.

What's not to like. :?:

There are some seriously tempting suggestions here guys :thumb:

The Jag XFR 5.0 supercharged V8 with 510bhp is one of them :grin:

There are some truly shocking suggestions too, really Skoda ? Prius ? Lexus ?.............my other cars are Porsches, you do realise that ? :floor:

But, I may have found my Mercedes solution, a car that I didn`t even know existed, E400 AMG Sport Plus coupe..........3.0 V6 petrol, Twin Turbo ( boo ) 333bhp and 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, with the claimed MPG of 49 on a run ( which basically means 37 like the one I have now ) although will have to bung in £15K ( boo ) there are a handfull of them in the UK, that`s about it.

So, YAY, I may be able to fend of the gubbinment and their terrible judgement on the diesel driver :grin:

I feel sorry for my local Mercedes dealer though, every single car they have on the forecourt is an oil burner :nooo:

Failing that ***** it, I`m going to up my hourly rate and get a C63 :grin:

Zingari said:
Personally I'd buy another diesel as taxing them more I reckon is a long way off. What about one that can run on biodiesel/chip fat :dont know:

The Merc 300h. Jonttt had one and I dont think you actually need to plug them in :dont know:

For info the 300h was a real eye opener ie to what hybrid technology will bring in the near future, mine had active suspension which makes a big difference to the fun. In sport plus mode it was manic off the line. The 300h are non plug in ie use F1 recuperation technology to top up the batteries under braking. The 350h are plug in hybrid with a motor.
Ultimately it was too small for me but I did not regret trying one for a while, the estate would be the better bet.

I would look at the gen 1 Panamera hybrids, plenty of £100k car on the second hand market for under £60k.

Hybrid tech is the future.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back