Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC service & corrosion on steering rack

Hamblemark

I got my 996 serviced at OPC Portsmouth last week under the fixed price service they have.

Good service as always, plus the car gets a forensic examination. I also got a new 718 boxster s for the day. Lovely car, but not convinced by the 4T engine - hugely powerful, but sounded like a souped up Impreza, complete with anti lag bangs...

Anyhow, one of the things they identified was corrosion on the power steering rack - specifically the hard pipes. I had all the brake lines done last year because of corrosion, so I shouldn't be surprised. From my limited research this isn't uncommon (steel pipes into aluminium) and boxsters, 996's and 997s can suffer.

The price to fix from OPC was as you would expect eye watering, a combination of the time (@£145/hour) but also because they could only replace the entire rack (c.£1.7k).

I intend to speak to my Indy, but i would be interested if anyone else has had to address this, and if so what they did.

Looking online, you can buy replacement hard lines for £50 or so, or would you go down the route of reconditioned rack?

Advice and experiences appreciated!

:popcorn:

Sorry no info, but have the same issue and watching for any advice.
Thank you.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Work identified in the fixed price service is charged at the Classic labour rate of £90/hr inc VAT (£75/hr + VAT).

Ask for book time hours and labour + parts cost to be sure you understand the basis of the estimates quoted. That way, you can do the same with the Indy quote and decide. Be aware that Indy times may not align to OPC book times and the labour rate at indys in your part of the world is unlikely to be less than £75/hr + VAT.

Thanks all.

I did wonder about the hourly rate as I recalled from other posts that the classic rate was much lower, but the post-service documentation certainly references £145/hour plus VAT. Plus, the only fix they have is a complete new rack. (They also picked up the non-standard jubilee clips on the low pressure hoses and recommended replacing the entire hose as it was non-standard). Great as OPC are, they can only do things by the book so more cost-effective fixes are out the window.

I had seen the RPM solution, which looked more along the lines of what I was thinking - and if they were more local that would be perfect. But Hampshire to Yorkshire is a bit of a hike. A bit more complicated for a C4 too, as the front diff has to be disconnected to get access apparently.

Looking online I had though found these: http://www.wooliesworkshop.com/ours...-Porsche-Boxster-986-9705-996-347-012-08.html

So my thinking was to see whether my local Indy would be able to do something similar.

Just interested whether anyone else had gone down this (or any other) route to resolving the same problem.

Hi Hamblemark,

Sorry to hijack your thread but couldn't help but notice your name - I'm in Hamble!

I've just bought my 996 and am slowly working through the list of issues / needs / wants.

Which indie do you use?

I've tried one (who I won't name) and wasn't impressed.

OP: Just to clarify if OPC is saying labour rate is £145/hr that INCLUDES VAT.
All rates and prices for OPC includes VAT. It is Indy rates where the default excludes VAT.

If you want to consider a reconditioned rack, speak to Chris or Pete at Center Gravity using an email (contact us) enquiry on their website.

The front power steering pipe is pre-formed and requires several hours labour owing to the amount of dismantling required to change it.

Check prices with local Indy and consider also the costs of having an Indy far removed from you to sort it- rail fares, fuel to/fro etc.

I'd also speak to OPC Portsmouth and consider other OPC near you such as Mid-Sussex.

Good luck whichever route you take. Its your choice at the end of the day.

Searider - I had seen a 996 rumbling past recently so wondered if it may be someone on here! I will drop you a pm.

Cheshire - Thanks for the suggestion of CoG for a reconditioned rack. The labour costs mean I only want to do it once, so I would prefer it to be done right. You are no doubt correct about the VAT on the labour costs from OPC (I was going from memory), but the cost for a replacement rack was what put me off going down that route!

Chris and Pete at CoG will be able to guide you on reconditioned rack and prices. It is one of the items they check when doing geometry (for radial play).

If the car needs a geometry they can probably do the power steering pipe at the same time.

But best discuss with them.

I have just had the return pas pipe replaced at OPC Sutton, £760.00 all in
I thought that pricey until saw your quote!

The low pressure pipe ferrul that corrodes is fine if you just fit a jubilee clip to it .. its LOW pressure and at my old OPC thats what we used to do but i guess all OPC,s are different or perhaps the rules have changed :dont know:

Reguards the rack .. just get your indy to look at it , i now work at one and we would look to repair rather than replace which is exactly what your indy will do .

Labour rate for OPC .. sigh , indys are half of that and if anything like mine are staffed with ex opc guys ..

Same job by the same people but for less .. thats catchy , think ill suggest it as a new indy motto :D

I'd agree to look at the book time. 1.7k is a bit steep if you are a regular customer at an OPC .

I'd be saying "You can have the business, but you need to come down to a price where I can give you the business and maintain the relationship. I'm not comfortable with a quote above £900. Have a look at the price and give me a call tomorrow with a price where we can move forward on".

Again, Thanks for all the replies.

Dug out the estimate (as was pricing from memory before).

Total cost for the rack replacement was actually £3.2k, comprising £2k for the parts, 5 hours labour @ £145 (it was a net price Cheshire) plus the obligatory VAT. Hence the need for a plan B...!

No criticism of the OPC - it is what it is.

But as Demort says, there is always an alternative way which may be more cost effective. It's all about understanding the options that are available - hence why this forum is so invaluable.

A £760 jubilee clip, wow I' feeling suitably ripped off!
Think I'll pm Demort for advice before getting anything else done lol :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back