Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo or 991s....

997 turbo for me, I own a 1.5 tip and love it it feels special not that a 991 isn't look at the black turbo at harbour cars spec perfect and much less mileage, please buy it it will stop me looking 😂😂

997.2 turbo all day long, you won't be disappointed.

MNC911 said:
Graemep said:
Both good cars, and much a case of personal preference whether you prefer the look/interior of the newer car.

The 997 Turbo will undoubtedly hold its value better, even though the price seems a bit on the high side given the mileage and I'd be looking looking for a lower mileage - turbo prices at OPC's seem to be all over the place at the moment, but that's a good spec.

:agree:
I'd personally would go for the 991, just because if I want speed I'd take the Yamaha R1 out for a spin. Plus look at the design and development difference between the models, they're like night and day now.

I race Superbikes and also a trackday instructor.

On the road early in the morning without many cars around the R1 probably wouldn't see which way my turbo had gone.

They are seriously that quick especially with PDK.

0-60mph in 2.7secs have been achieved by the American car magazines.

silvermilnec said:
997 turbo for me, I own a 1.5 tip and love it it feels special not that a 991 isn't look at the black turbo at harbour cars spec perfect and much less mileage, please buy it it will stop me looking 😂😂

I've seen that 997.2 turbo at harbour cars, nice spec and nice condition. It's got leather centre console and pdk surround, illuminated door sills and crested head rests. 28k miles, black on black 👌

I'd say that the mere fact that you are considering a Turbo makes you a 911 Turbo guy and thus that's what you should get. The question is then whether you want a 9971 tip or 9972 PDK. You should try and get a drive in both, as suggested above.

MaxA said:
I'd say that the mere fact that you are considering a Turbo makes you a 911 Turbo guy and thus that's what you should get. The question is then whether you want a 9971 tip or 9972 PDK. You should try and get a drive in both, as suggested above.

I agree it's got to be the 997 Turbo , try one .... You will buy one ... So try the PDK car first ........if you feel the need then try the Tiptronic , but they are like chalk and cheese really ....go for the flappy paddle steering wheel version , it's much more intuitive and once you learn how to play with the PDK, much more rewarding ......

The 997 turbo is old school enough to seem basic , no frills inside but the drive is entertaining whichever way you drive ....
The 991 is more catering for the modern customer , lots of cabin improvements and materials quality is raised so although it's a better place to be inside , it hasn't got the jet fighter acceleration that you know the Turbo always has on tap .....

So for me , the question comes down to ...' Are you a Turbo man' ..?

I wish I could have done it like Bobafett did...but had to give the OP a word of advice ...

OP ...........Turbo and don't look back ....

Terry

marconorth said:
997.1T manuals appear to be on the rise again!

I think the 997.2 turbo is too. I noticed in Total 911 magazine this month that the little data tag attached to the model has gone green. Meaning they've gone up.

Great write up/article on the 997.2 turbo btw.

cliffbase said:
2010 997 Turbo PDK, black with black, 50,000 miles, reasonable spec, 3 former keepers £68995.

or

2013 991 C2S PDK, Black with black, 19,500 miles, reasonable spec 2 former keepers £71,500.

New = better?
Turbo = Stronger residual?
997 = More a "proper"911?

Thoughts please :dont know:

As you've already got a 997 Tip' I'm assuming that you're already familiar with the benefits of having both manual and automatic modes available to you. PDK is a definite step up and (despite what the purists might say) the auto really suits the characteristics of the Turbo'd motor.

The interior of a 997 Turbo is pretty much the same as you've already got in your Carrera. The 991 is a massive improvement inside although some prefer the more classic look of the older car.

If you were comparing like-for-like variants I'd say that newer is better but comparing a new model Carrera with a previous generation Turbo is not the same thing. They are completely different animals and you would need to drive both to see what suits you best.

You will find a significant increase in the performance of the 991 Carrera over your 997 but the 'rush' of a Turbo is in a whole different league. The power delivery of the Turbo is addictive but on UK roads it can rarely be unleashed safely and never legally.

Both cars are both 'proper' 911s but only one is a 911 Turbo so if you want to tick that box it's a different matter.

All 991 Carreras are depreciating and will do for another 3 or 4 years whereas all 997 models have hit bottom and have risen again. Virtually any 997 will hold its value from now on.

As a 996/997 Turbo owner for 4 years I'd go against the majority in this thread and choose a 991 Carrera but I wouldn't spend £70k+ on one.

The 991 you've linked to seems very expensive and I can't get my head around the asking price for a 2010 PDK Turbo when a 2007 Tip Turbo can be had for £20k less.

Good luck deciding. :D

More sage advice. Thanks chaps, will have a drive of both when time permits & see whats what.

Currently im erring toward the 997 as i think its less "mass production" than the 991.

Residuals are a factor.

Thanks again.

Norfolk & Idea said:
marconorth said:

I think the 997.2 turbo is too. I noticed in Total 911 magazine this month that the little data tag attached to the model has gone green. Meaning they've gone up.

Yes- I thought Total 911 mag was good this month.....the 997.2 turbo featured is owned by forum regular JCX 👍.....
As for this thread imho it's a no brainier and my cash would go on a 997 every time- although £69k seems a bit steep....

There was me trying to post a balanced answer first time round, but the fact I'm on my second 997 Turbo says it all..

I'd considered a 991 when I changed cars about four months ago, but that was ruled out for two reasons - residuals, and the budget (due to an unexpected change) meant a 991 wouldn't be a turbo.

I moved from Gen 1.5 Tip to a Gen 2 Turbo S, and given a choice of gearbox it would have to be PDK. The only reason to consider anything else would be for occasional use (as mentioned), and then a Gen 1.5 manual will be worth considering.

It looks like the East London car may have sold, as it's no longer listed on the Porsche site..

carkid said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
marconorth said:

Yes- I thought Total 911 mag was good this month.....the 997.2 turbo featured is owned by forum regular JCX 👍.....
As for this thread imho it's a no brainier and my cash would go on a 997 every time- although £69k seems a bit steep....

Considering the current asking prices for 997.1 turbos, £69k for a 997.2 turbo inc £2k worth of OPC warranty (2 years) seems a bargain.

How could you possibly make the comment that £69k is a bit steep?

There are lower mileage cars around however with 30k miles this car would probably be advertised for around £76k

That 991 C2S will probably be worth around £54k in 2 years time.

Graemep said:
There was me trying to post a balanced answer first time round, but the fact I'm on my second 997 Turbo says it all..

I'd considered a 991 when I changed cars about four months ago, but that was ruled out for two reasons - residuals, and the budget (due to an unexpected change) meant a 991 wouldn't be a turbo.

I moved from Gen 1.5 Tip to a Gen 2 Turbo S, and given a choice of gearbox it would have to be PDK. The only reason to consider anything else would be for occasional use (as mentioned), and then a Gen 1.5 manual will be worth considering.

It looks like the East London car may have sold, as it's no longer listed on the Porsche site..

Could you post up your thoughts and views on the 997.2 Turbo S compared with tip 997.1 turbo

There has been a huge amount of discussions on the forum regarding the merits of tip turbos from 997.1 turbo tip owners but little input from gen 2 turbo PDK owners who previously owned a tip 997.1 turbo

For me personally if it wasn't a gen 2 turbo PDK it would have to be a gen 1.5 manual turbo

Thanks

997 Turbo in my opionion is the proper experience, so if you can you definately should.

I opted for a gen1 tip (for reasons all tuning related :) ) you really need to get your self in that turbo for a test drive and let the car speak for it self.

Good luck

I would go with the turbo. Personally my favourite would be the 997.15 with a manual gearbox. I really like the interior upgrades but it still has the Mezger engine.

MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back