Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone changing for a beemer?

nigel99

Mexico City
I popped into Sytner BMW in Maidenhead yesterday with a friend. In the customer parking area was a GT3, a Targa 4S and my C2S!

I sat in a new M3 and was very disappointed. It felt very cheap inside. The steering wheel felt very foamy, like a bad repair job and I was worried the multi-function buttons would fall off if I pressed to hard.

nigel99 said:
I popped into Sytner BMW in Maidenhead yesterday with a friend. In the customer parking area was a GT3, a Targa 4S and my C2S!

I sat in a new M3 and was very disappointed. It felt very cheap inside. The steering wheel felt very foamy, like a bad repair job and I was worried the multi-function buttons would fall off if I pressed to hard.

I've got an M3 as a daily driver and was recently considering a new M4 competition pack.

Also having a fully loaded 997.2 turbo I am a bit surprised that you felt the M3 felt low rent. Would have thought a new M3 would have made your C2S feel low rent rather than the other way around.

I certainly wasn't dissspointed by the interior.

Having also owner various Aston Martins from new would have thought I would have been able to spot a low rent interior from a mile away 😂😂

nigel99 said:

I do like the new turbo charged engine of the F series M3/4. BMW have clearly taken measures to keep the wieght down, unfortunately the build quality has suffered. For instanace I remember opening the bonnet admiring the engine and by chance my eyes meandered around the engine bay I noticed the underside of the bonnet and bay hasn't even been painted properly, lacquer skipped.

Like the M3 but it's not in the same league as a 911.

The Porsche hasn't got a league imo.

911 - ballerina

M3 - Motà¶rhead

:lol:

Alfaian said:
Like the M3 but it's not in the same league as a 911.

The Porsche hasn't got a league imo.

911 - ballerina

M3 - Motà¶rhead

:lol:

Of course they are not as good as most 911's (although they will show some NA's a clean pair of heels) but they are great value for money and a great daily.

Mine is a jack of all trades master of none, and I like that :thumb:

solaris said:
nigel99 said:

I do like the new turbo charged engine of the F series M3/4. BMW have clearly taken measures to keep the wieght down, unfortunately the build quality has suffered. For instanace I remember opening the bonnet admiring the engine and by chance my eyes meandered around the engine bay I noticed the underside of the bonnet and bay hasn't even been painted properly, lacquer skipped.

BMW have not lacquered interior engine paint for many years, none of my M cars had lacquered engine bays.

I did go to a super car event on Easter Sunday morning and there was a brand new M4 convertible being hammered on the rev limiter, it sounded crap, in fact it was embarrassing. As a complete and utter contrast the 911R thathat was their sounded sublime.

A BMW is an "in addition to" car to a 911, not an "instead of" one.

[Yes, my other car is a 3 series]

jonttt said:
I did go to a super car event on Easter Sunday morning and there was a brand new M4 convertible being hammered on the rev limiter, it sounded crap, in fact it was embarrassing. As a complete and utter contrast the 911R that was their sounded sublime.

+1

+1

&

+1

Disco said:
A BMW is an "in addition to" car to a 911, not an "instead of" one.

[Yes, my other car is a 3 series]

Exactly this- the current m3 is a great car! It's half the price of a well specified
911. A great package in my opinion, will probably be my next daily when the used market hits £30k ish

I used to be a BMW nut and would have been a life long buyer. I have owned 325,328, 330, M3, 4.4X5, 4.8IS X5.
Had a nightmare with the 4.8....1 week out of warranty and the suspension gave up. To cut short, 12 weeks in the garage and 5.5K later, still had a car with suspension problems. Got rid, lost a packet and vowed never to return to the brand. I still can't believe how badly treated we were!

Bit spoiled when it comes to 911s, but have to say that I do love my M5 CompetitionPack daily driver every bit as much. Plush Luxo Barge/ looney machine all in one package.

Attachments

• img_4361_361.jpg
    img_4361_361.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 5,777
  • img_3921_423.jpg
    img_3921_423.jpg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 5,777
I can see why anyone would want an M car -The longer I've owned it the more I love driving my 1M- it would be difficult for me to part with it.....

I'd love an E90 M3- but whether I'd choose one over a 997 is a different matter.

alan Laing said:
Bit spoiled when it comes to 911s, but have to say that I do love my M5 CompetitionPack daily driver every bit as much. Plush Luxo Barge/ looney machine all in one package.

Nearly bought a 2016 M5 last week but decided against it as after a long test drive found it a bit too big and heavy.

Also after the 997.2 turbo the performance felt underwhelming.

Now thinking of an M4 competition pack of a new Golf R with a 400bhp REVO map.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back