Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Audio Help

mmcd87

Sorry if this has been asked before, I am struggling with what to search.

I have a 1998 996 C2 that I want to upgrade the headunit on. My car has the factory 6 speaker upgrade with Nokia 6x40w amplifier.

I want to install a Sony mex-xb100bt headunit, with inbuilt amplifier. What I want to know is, if I disconnect and remove the original Nokia amplifier, is there an off-shelf loom that will allow me to do this and use the standard speakers the car came with? I see Connect2 do a loom, and there are a few on eBay.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Send members Halcyon and Leon1davies a PM they have both upgraded the head units in their 996s and I am sure will point you in the right direction :thumb:

Thanks Phil! :thumb:

Hi mmcd87

I had this exact system in mine before I upgraded (due to the 6ch amp being faulty)

There isn't a straight-forward loom replacement for replacing the amp - but it's not hard to do it yourself (If I can do it... :eek: )

the amp in the "frunk" has two connectors, a large one and a small one. The small one is the input and trigger / signal wires. The large connector has all 6 speaker outputs and the 12V & earth.

I bought a pioneer GM-D1004 amp to drive the door speakers (using RCA phono leads from the head-unit "Subwoofer" output) and I also ran speaker wires from the head-unit ISO connector to the amp location - This is because the Porsche uses a common ground speaker wire set-up and modern head-units don't like it!

So..

You are going to need to cut the connectors off close to the amp,
disregard the speaker input cables from the old head unit
connect the front and rear speakers to the new speaker wires from the head unit.
Connect the door speakers to the new amp
connect the amp to the phono "Sub out" of the head unit.

I have a wiring diagram at home with the colours if you need it.

you can route cables from the HU, through the bulkhead near the top of the clutch pedal
you can either use bullet connectors or solder + heat wrap the speaker wires together (recommended)
While you're at it, replace the 4" front and rear speakers with something.. anything! I have Alpine SPG-10C2 in mine
The door speakers are actually ok

I hope I haven't bamboozled you - it's honestly not that difficult, just a bit time consuming
:grin:

If you have any questions, ask away and we'll talk you through it :thumbs:

Thanks for your replies, it has made things a lot clearer.

You can see better what I am trying to achieve here. I am hoping to cut down the amount of components in the system and save a bit of weight. The Sony headunit seemed a good way to do this as the amp is built in https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=230&t=1621214&i=160

I was hoping not to have to cut the factory amplifier wiring harness but it seems that may be the only way... Assuming I no longer have an amp in the boot though, where does the amplifier output loom come into the interior? Could I bypass that and go straight into the speaker loom (so all the wiring stays behind the dash), assuming the car is wired like that?

I can only talk about mine (a 2002 996.2 which may be different to yours)

All 6 speaker wires terminate in the frunk. If you are removing the amp, then you can only drive 4 speakers (Front & rear) as the door speaker aren't full range and need a Low Frequency filtered output.
I don't know your Sony, but some HU can drive a sub level / LF by changing settings within the HU (I know my Pioneer HU has this capability)
So then you could drive the dash and door speakers and remove the rears.

Having said that.. the amp weighs less than a kilo? Are you going to gain that much of a weight advantage by removing it completely?

I've just looked at your post on Pistonheads... Oh boy, you have some work there to trace all those wires that have been put in! what do they do? Where do they go!? Mine's connected to the car's ISO connector for the power and a new ISO connector for the speakers - yours has connectors I don't even recognise! What's that orange one on the left for??
Best of luck there!! :D :eek: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back