Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 997.1 3.8?

daz parker

Hi,

I'm after some advice and opinions please. I've read this forum for years now but as every year that passes a find an excuse not to buy a 911. Now that's got to sound wrong, I mean at first I had babies so sorting seats was hard now they older its squashing them in (been used to range rovers). So it's going to just have to be a weekend you but seen as I work so many hours it's not going to get much use. There are other cars as fast and more practical.

But the 911 is a 911 so others don't compare!

Enough off my life story! I just going to bite the bullet and get one, then see what happens with regards to use.

So my issue is do I get a 80-90k 997.1 that's had a rebuild already or a 50k one which hasn't and try avoid having the issues?

I know bore scoring is a low % of the cars but I do have to factor it in, yes the 997.2 might be a better buy in some people's opinion but I arnt stretching to the budget for the odd time it might get drove.

Seems cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262918332959

Sorry can't see the one with the rebuild now but you get my point.

Lastly I'm drawn towards manuals as that's what sports cars have (hope that doesn't offend anyone just my opinion but an r8 auto I had changed my mind a bit) but am I missing something not having the auto?

daz parker said:
Hi,

..........but am I missing something not having the auto?

Yes - an increased risk of bore scoring.

Personally I'd be hunting for a higher mileage rebuilt 997.1 over both a low mileage .1 or .2

.......and the later larger IMS bearing :)

What's not to like. Good colour too.

Daz, Alex has said it all and spotted the perfect car so grab your wallet and go get it. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: but dont hang about its cheap for what it is

Funny story! That's the actual one I was going to compare against.

I was surprised to see all six barrels had been done.

It's only 101 miles away.

If I only didn't have to work I'd be straight there!

alex yates said:
daz parker said:
Hi,

Personally I'd be hunting for a higher mileage rebuilt 997.1 over both a low mileage .1 or .2

I had read because it sets off in seconds it has a higher risk wasn't sure if it was internet remours or fact though.

alex yates said:
daz parker said:
Hi,

Guys, I have understood, that it is mainly tiptronics that are more prone for bore scoring vs manual..? ( Big gears pull out from low revs)
At least recalling reading it from one of Baz's long informative posts. Cannot locate the post now.
Please correct if I am mistaken here..

@#$$!! Too tired, misunderstood Alex's post wrong way round :eek:
So, yes manual less prone to scoring.

An excellent buy if ts as described, I recently bought a 997.1 c2s from Grant and thought it was a good buy at a lot more than £22K.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back