Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Switched 12V in or near engine bay ?

systech1

Monza
Looking for a bit of advice please. I'm looking for the location of an ignition- switched +12V feed in or around the engine bay in a MY2010 997.2S? Don't have a wiring diagram (anyone where I can get one on the cheap ;-) and can only think of the DME (ECU) which is actually under the rear "parcel shelf".

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Demort said:
Pm sent , its G1 but all i could find .

Dermot, would be eternally grateful for same wiring diagram as I want to relocate the latching relay circuit I made for the exhaust switch :D

Demort said:

Thanks Iain!

Having briefly scanned the diagrams, I agree that finding a suitable and easily accessible switched 12 V wire in the engine bay area or nearby is probably too hard so as much as I was hoping to avoid it, I plan to run the wire (incidentally for a Carnewal remote PSE switch control unit) to the fuse box.

On that subject, I recall running some cables previously in my Boxster through the driver side sill to the fuse box...is this still an option on the 997.2? Or is there a better way to run the wire (e.g. through the gear-lever console ?

Thanks again for any of your pearls of wisdom :thumb:

From memory then i would run it along the side and under the bonnet/boot switch trim , to run it under the center consol is more of a mission , you still have to run it under the carpet to get to the center consol let alone remove it .

Your biggest head ache is going to be getting the wire into the engine bay , im not aware of any spare grommets next to the main engine loom , hopefully there will be on a Gen 2 ( ive not looked there yet on a G2 ) as if not your going to have to make a hole in the wiring grommet or drill a new one.

Just a silly idear but the car has day running lights so the side lights are always on .. the remote i think is something like a 40 millamp draw ?

Should work off of the lights maybe .. im just guessing here though as its not something ive ever done.

Only one of these ive fitted was to a Cayman and i used the dme feeds via a relay for that .. all in the boot , so thats the only info i have to go on.

Rob .. sent PM ..

Do me a favour can you link your thread on that switch setup please .. i had it book marked but computer caught a cold ! lost a few bits including that .

DucatiRob said:
Demort said:

Dermot, would be eternally grateful for same wiring diagram as I want to relocate the latching relay circuit I made for the exhaust switch :D

Im currently having mine done and the only way is under the car thru the gear shifter area to the center console !

J

Demort said:
From memory then i would run it along the side and under the bonnet/boot switch trim , to run it under the center consol is more of a mission , you still have to run it under the carpet to get to the center consol let alone remove it .

Your biggest head ache is going to be getting the wire into the engine bay , im not aware of any spare grommets next to the main engine loom , hopefully there will be on a Gen 2 ( ive not looked there yet on a G2 ) as if not your going to have to make a hole in the wiring grommet or drill a new one.

Just a silly idear but the car has day running lights so the side lights are always on .. the remote i think is something like a 40 millamp draw ?

Should work off of the lights maybe .. im just guessing here though as its not something ive ever done.

Only one of these ive fitted was to a Cayman and i used the dme feeds via a relay for that .. all in the boot , so thats the only info i have to go on.

Hi Iain,

The Porsche TSB suggests putting a hole in the grommet for the existing rear wiring loom but haven't found it yet under the sound deadening on the firewall. The LED DRLs are only active at the front so can't go with your suggestion. One forum I checked out talked about running the wires through the tail light loom so might look at that as well. But thanks for all your help.

The previous post which talked about using a PSE switch with a latching relay rather than the remote is also interesting and I would consider that as an option although the new switch panel is $A 250 here !

Gen 1 997 and its far left , o/s/r on a RHD ..

Its right in the corner and not easy to get to if you are going to drill it , but if its in the TSB then thats the mechanics instrutions so thats how i would do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back